rapanui

Newbie in TX

Did a tandem in Nov 2015 and decided to eventually try and get through AFF. Stuck on level 4 because I'm not very stable in free fall. No problem in the tunnel, but I get all stiff when jumping from an actual airplane. Any advice on how to relax/breathe and dealing with fear is welcome.

I've yet to stand a landing either, but getting close! [:/]

Welcome :) Which DZ in Texas are you doing your AFF at?

Tunnel time was by far the best for helping me become stable too, i had the same problem on my level 4.

The fear and nervousness is normal, i found that what helped me in the ride up was to close my eyes, and visualize the skydive, if you aren't already doing so, try giving that a go. my instructors would also do a breathing excersize with me, where both myself and her would take 3 deep breaths at the same time, it really helped. Ask your instructor for more advice :)

I found when i wasn't arching as good as i should be, that taking literally 2 seconds and taking a deep breath in and out sorted me out, and you can feel the difference straight away once you go into a better arch. It'll all come within time

Keep at it with the landings, you'll get there soon - it's a great feeling standing up for the first time!

Texas Skydiving Center- it's a relatively small Cessna 182 DZ. I'm also looking into possibly doing some coach jumps at Lone Star in Luling once I get past AFF.

My instructors have all given me the standard advice for relaxing, but I haven't really gotten there yet. Maybe with repetition my brain will start "letting go". My instructor has also recommended I practice at home and start building up muscle memory for arching.

It's a bit frustrating that I've got things working well in the tunnel but not clicking in midair.

London86

The fear and nervousness is normal, i found that what helped me in the ride up was to close my eyes, and visualize the skydive, if you aren't already doing so, try giving that a go. my instructors would also do a breathing excersize with me, where both myself and her would take 3 deep breaths at the same time, it really helped.

Do this. Visualize the entire jump just how you want it to go. Visualize everything from climbing out all the way to landing. And breath. Take some deep breaths occasionally on the climb to altitude and again before exit. Calm breath, calm mind, calm body.

And most importantly, smile and have fun. If you're not smiling, you're not skydiving, you're just falling.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I stood up jump d1. That was the first and last one I stood up til jump 30 or 40 as I recall.

I screw up a landing here and there if there is no headwind or a crosswind, but it's rare and I have a slew of good excuses now. I also have a ton of cordura on my jumpsuit to make up for my own mistakes.

As for relaxing imagine yourself as a dishrag flopping in the wind. The more you jump the better and more relaxed you will get. I have never seen anyone get more tense and their jump numbers increase.

I have never seen anyone get more tense and their jump numbers increase.

I dunno, I feel I kinda regressed a bit between jump 4 and jump 5. I had a two week period where I couldn't even convince myself to get back in the air (I mostly attribute this to unexpectedly having difficulty finding the hackey on jump 4, I do practice touches on the ground and plane now for every jump). I'm feeling way better about everything though, so I have high hopes jumps 6+ will all be better. Now, if only the weather would stop being crappy...

I regress all the time, especially when pushing the limits of my abilities...But I don't get more tense. I think there is a difference. Plus the first 10 or so jumps are a mass jumble of emotions so it's hard to differentiate which one is more tense.

I miss those feelings. AFF is such a beautiful, life affirming process. Enjoy this fear as it will go away and you will miss it. Until your first night jump of course ;).

rapanui

I have never seen anyone get more tense and their jump numbers increase.

I dunno, I feel I kinda regressed a bit between jump 4 and jump 5. I had a two week period where I couldn't even convince myself to get back in the air (I mostly attribute this to unexpectedly having difficulty finding the hackey on jump 4, I do practice touches on the ground and plane now for every jump). I'm feeling way better about everything though, so I have high hopes jumps 6+ will all be better. Now, if only the weather would stop being crappy...

I know several people that between 5 and 15 jumps have had increased concern about, "is this really a good idea". I think it is pretty common and happens with the initial excitement decreases and the knowledge of what all can go wrong increases.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

dthames

I know several people that between 5 and 15 jumps have had increased concern about, "is this really a good idea". I think it is pretty common and happens with the initial excitement decreases and the knowledge of what all can go wrong increases.

I had exactly this, between levels 7 and 16, after i done one jump - i'd sometimes make an excuse just to hang around and wouldn't jump the rest of the day.

Perseverance works well, that's for sure :)

rapanui

Did a tandem in Nov 2015 and decided to eventually try and get through AFF. Stuck on level 4 because I'm not very stable in free fall. No problem in the tunnel, but I get all stiff when jumping from an actual airplane. Any advice on how to relax/breathe and dealing with fear is welcome.

I've yet to stand a landing either, but getting close! [:/]

Dont give up, never! And keep jumping (more tunnel time would also help)! This comes from a person who got stuck on level 5 for 1 year.

Finally figured things out in my head and got around to finishing AFF. Not 100% relaxed yet, but I can at least loosen up a bit in midair now. Stood my AFF 7 landing too, which was nice.

Reading through this forum has really helped. Looking forward to participating more as I learn.