HilltopperTA

Hello all! Introduction and some questionq

Hello everyone, I'm David and this Friday I'll be making my very first tandem jump at Skydive Orange! This is likely to be a one time event... but after watching enough YouTube videos, I have a feeling I may become hooked. Obviously I'm excited... but I do have a few etiquette questions.

They are having a Boogie from Wednesday to Sunday... and I'm afraid me and my group of five first time jumpers may get lost in the madness.

1. With what happened in California, I'm a bit worried. I take it that even though they're having a Boogie they'll still team me with an licensed employee and not just an experienced jumper that's there for fun so they can get more jumps in?

2. Is it improper etiquette to ask them go through a packing of the tandem rig I will be wearing?

3. Is there any questions I should ask of my partner before I get on the plane?

4. What can I do (or more importantly, what should I NOT do) as a rider to help make the experience safer for both of us?

5. Is it wrong to ask the instructor their experience/credentials? (Including jumps, experience with cutaways, etc.) I don't want to upset anyone.

6. Any tips with breathing? I've heard some say to yell as you're exiting the air craft and that will force you to breath.

7. How amazing of a time will I have? :)
Anyways... really looking forward to it and just wanted to stop in and say Hi!

Welcome to the forums! :)
1. Even though there will be a boogie going on, there will be licensed tandem instructors assigned to taking tandems. There's not even a chance that a regular fun jumper would take you on a tandem, there's a lot involved with being a tandem instructor and knowing the rig, and we all understand the risk.

2. You might be able to watch rigs being packed, but you'll be a nuisance if you start asking questions while the Packer is working. Just trust that everyone at the dropzone wants every jumper and tandem passenger to be safe, and they do their best to make that happen. Don't distract them. ;)

3. If you're unsure of what you're supposed to do on the jump after you've gotten your training, don't be shy about asking for more instruction.

4. Relax, and don't eat a huge meal beforehand.

5. Jump numbers and number of cutaways don't necessarily indicate the quality of the jumper. Since you're jumping at a well established dropzone, I have confidence in the fact that they hire experienced tandem instructors.

6. Just have fun, relax, and don't worry about breathing. My bet is that you'll breathe just fine.

7. It will be incredible and maybe life changing. (My "one" time jumping was!)

8. Oh, I know you didn't ask #8, but I'll throw this in there: yes, you should tip your instructor. ;) I know you're paying a lot for the jump, but the tandem instructor doesn't really get a lot for giving you the time of your life AND saving your life. Pass him or her a $10 or $20 if you've enjoyed your experience. :)
Let us know how you like your jump!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I only jumped once so far and it was freaking awesome! I've done my ground schools and will jump my second jump this week! I can't wait!
------------------------------------
Scientist and Physicist still do not understand gravity... Jumping out of an airplane is my attempt to help them in their quest to explain gravity.

Hi Hilltopper. Glad you have decided to check out our awesome sport. Your concerns are understandable and your questions are good, and Skymamma answered them so no need for a "go around".

I worked at a pretty busy So Cal DZ for 6 years and one of my duties was to train tandems on the weekends. What I would tell students when asked about breathing is relax and just breath and the easiest way to do that is to breath through your nose. From talking to students after they have landed they said it helped.

Going to do your tandem during a Boogie is an awesome experience. You and your friends will get to see the sport in full swing. The saturday night parties at a Boogie are the best.

I think Skymamma meant to say tip your instructor not the packer, the instructor should tip the packer.

Have fun.B|

HilltopperTA

Well that's pretty rude.

Sorry I'm an overly cautious person. That's half the reason I'm taking the jump... to try and actually start living my life rather than over think things.

And, if you know how a 911 dispatcher can make a lawyers salary please let me know!

In the wake of the sort of incident that happened recently, ambulance chasers often show up on here trolling for inflammatory information. Not particular details about a particular incident, but trying to find ways to portray the sport as a whole as reckless.

I don't think you or the other new guy are that, but there may well be one in the incidents forum.

To expand a bit on the lovely Skymamma's answers:

The chances of seeing the rig you are going to jump being packed is slim at best. However, observing the rigs being packed shouldn't be a problem. Depending on how busy they are (likely to be very busy), the opportunity to observe up close (as in standing right there) and to ask questions may be limited.

BUT...

Packing is packing. There are several special things about tandem rigs vs sport rigs, but the overall process is similar. You may be able to ask around and find someone to answer your questions and perhaps show you up close and personal how a rig gets packed. We tend to be a friendly bunch. I've shown first timers how a rig is packed a few times (never the rig they were going to jump, usually my own).

Breathing - It isn't too unusual for someone to claim that "they couldn't breathe" in freefall. What typically happens is that the person is so worked up that they forget to exhale. Seriously. They breathe in, then breathe in some more, then some more. Finally their lungs are full and they can't get any more in. So they "can't breathe" anymore.

If you yell or scream going out the door, that forces the 'exhale'. Once you do that you should breathe normally.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

skymama

Welcome to the forums! :)
5. Jump numbers and number of cutaways don't necessarily indicate the quality of the jumper. Since you're jumping at a well established dropzone, I have confidence in the fact that they hire experienced tandem instructors.

I just figure if I get a TI that has had a lot of cutaways and malfunctions they may be better prepared in an emergency than a jumper who has never experienced one and only has classroom training on how to handle it. Nothing beats experience as they say!

[Quote]
8. Oh, I know you didn't ask #8, but I'll throw this in there: yes, you should tip your packer. ;) I know you're paying a lot for the jump, but the tandem instructor doesn't really get a lot for giving you the time of your life AND saving your life. Pass him or her a $10 or $20 if you've enjoyed your experience. :)
Let us know how you like your jump!

Thanks for the tip! (pun intended) I'm also having it filmed... do I need to tip the camera man as well?

I think Skymamma meant to say tip your instructor not the packer, the instructor should tip the packer.

Haha...oh man, you're right! :ph34r: Thanks for the correction, I fixed it. I'm so used to tipping my packer, it just came right out when I was typing!
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

do I need to tip the camera man as well?

Put it this way; you don't have to, but I've never seen a videographer turn down a tip. ;) And, I did mean to tip your instructor and not your packer.

Sorry but I sort of chuckled at this post. Good questions. I have never done a tandem but I am on the plane with them most Saturdays. I have several young friends that are great TIs and I would trust them right away. However, if I had to do a tandem I might ask, "Do you have a IT that is an old fart? That is who I want to go with".
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”