diablopilot

Got money to throw away? Don't care how your canopy lands?

[rant]HEY! Take 3 minutes at the end of each day and take the twists out of your brake lines![/rant]

For those of you new and experienced alike who don't do this you are causing damage to your gear. Especially if you have spectra control lines. As the lines get twisted the get shorter eventualy causing tail deflection. I've seen brake lines so twisted the controline was a full 1.5 inches shorter than the other.

Additionally, especially with Spectra control lines, the twists cause more friction with the slider gromets, causing more heat build up, causing the lines to shrink even more, and the twists to become heat set, and thus be unremovable, and needing replacement.

It takes about 3 minutes to take the twists out. Do it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I must admit I don't do this at the end of every jump day, but i do, do it about every 10-15 jumps, is that too long in between???
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's also possible to take out the twists under canopy. Just look out for traffic. :o

Anyway, it takes less than a minute to do it on the ground. Why not do it when you pack and are not in a rush?

For many people I think it's because they use a packer. Packer rarely care to take out the twists....(but if you tip well they might).

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

This is a very good idea, there are way to many people who do not get the twist out of their break lines. You can walk around the packing room after a jump and see that a huge majority of the people have twist going form the top all the way to the bottom.

There is another way to solve this problem, don't let them get twisted in the first place. How they get twisted is you letting go of the toggles after landing and they twist from their. If you do not let go of them and just but them back on the Velcro or the toggle keeper this should help prevent the twist from happening.

You still need to check ever so often so you don't have any, but by stowing my toggles in the landing field I hardly ever have to get twist out of my break lines and when I do their is only a couple.

but i do, do it about every 10-15 jumps, is that too long in between

Probably good enough, and if as someone else stated you put the toggles imediately back on the velcro or stow them you'll end up with fewer twists.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

There is another way to solve this problem, don't let them get twisted in the first place. How they get twisted is you letting go of the toggles after landing and they twist from their. If you do not let go of them and just but them back on the Velcro or the toggle keeper this should help prevent the twist from happening.

You still need to check ever so often so you don't have any, but by stowing my toggles in the landing field I hardly ever have to get twist out of my break lines and when I do their is only a couple.

Exactly. You don't even have to stow them all the way right after landing, just tuck them in the keeper and you'll prevent twisting.

I do it after every jump......but again...I am anal.:P

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

Real good point! I have had jumpers, mostly newer ones, ask me to check the trim on their zippy little parachute (less than 50 jumps on it). The first thing I do is check for and remove twists from the steering lines. I have tried to point this out to folks but, it usually falls on 'deaf ears'. Also, knots can form above or below the guide rings if the twists aren't taken care of.

Chuck

I do it after every jump......but again...I am anal.:P

Joe

Plus you would have to put up with hooknswoop giving you shit if you didn't do it. ;)

Funny thing happened at the DZ last week. A low-time jumper in the packing hanger was fussing with his brake lines. A second low-timer was watching inquisitively.

Second jumper: "Whacha doin'?"
First jumper: "Untwisting my brake lines. My rigger said I should do it on every pack job."
Me: "Is your rigger named 'Derek'?"
First jumper: "Why yes! How did you know?"
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

but i do, do it about every 10-15 jumps, is that too long in between

Probably good enough, and if as someone else stated you put the toggles imediately back on the velcro or stow them you'll end up with fewer twists.

Yup I do that, some ppl set their brakes, I just put the top of the toggle in the keeper:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I put my brakes back in the keeper on the langing area and set them before packing. I consistanty got twists in my right control line but never my left. I discovered it was the way I was putting the toggle through the cats eye because I crouched on the left side of my rig and was putting half a twist in my right c/l every time I set it.

I put the c/l to the inside of the riser and the excess to the outside so it sits deeper in the riser channel and by doing that on the right, pow, half a twist.

Anyway, no more tiwsts for me! B|

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Also, if you have one break line that is more twisted than the other, it will result in one being shorter than the other, which will result in an uneven flare. You don't need a built-in turn when you're getting ready to land.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Just did it last weekend for the first time in ages (like at least 30-35 jumps).
Not a single twist on either line, most probably because the first thing i do after landing is put the toggles back in the keepers.
Takes far less than 3 minutes with no twists to remove. :P
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Hey that was me....lol.:)
Kelli......its him.....I told Them the story and I forgot who said it to me....lol. I am that low timer.:ph34r:

joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.