Diarchus

New in MD - chomping at the bit

Hey all - finally at the point of doing this. Wanted to do it for years. After 5 years of school and back in the work force, I'm ready mentally, physically and.... hold it.. financially!

I'm in Frederick, MD. I look at it like the sky is the limit for me on this. Unsure where to start, however. I know now that I'd def like to get certified. This is not going to be a one-off thing for me.

Ears are open, and thanks. :)

skymama

Which dropzones are near you? Maybe we can help you choose a place to jump.

Thanks for the welcome.

I see a few, and some a bit farther out. Nearby is Chambersburg, PA (Chambersburg Skydiving Ctr), DC Skydive Ctr, and Maytown Sport Parachute Club (up near Harrisburg, PA). Those are all driveable.

Farther out is something on the Eastern Shore (Skydive Delmarva). And there is something all the way down in Petersburg, VA (Virginia Skydiving Ctr). But that's a huge haul.

I would, however, definitely do a big drive for my first jump and initial training.

Thanks for the offer for feedback and assistance. ;)

I suggest that you make a drive out to the closest dropzones, and hang around for an afternoon/evening. Each one is going to have a different vibe. Talk to people, especially the ones you might be able to tell who are students, and see how they like the place.

If you're the type of person who'd like to hang around the dz after jumping, see what kind of social scene is at each one. Also, ask about student gear and if each dz has good rental sport gear (for when you graduate from AFF) that will fit your body type. I can remember being fresh off student status and being so pumped to jump all day, only to find out that someone else rented the gear that fit me. I had to wait for that person to finish jumping for the day. It was a big bummer!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hey, guy! Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures is your place. We are down I-81 at exit 264. We are offering a free -- YES FREE -- AFF First jump course (ground training) this Saturday (May 7), so your first AFF jump would be $265 (normally $395). You can call 540-450-6070 to schedule. I think we are your closest DZ that has AFF and plane larger than a Cessna 182. Come jump with us at the most scenic DZ in VA.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures