wendivee

Newbie in AZ!

Hi! I just completed my Cat A 2 days ago and I'm SO stoked to keep going and get this on lock! I had to repeat because I froze up and didn't pull, also had some exit issues (but killed it on canopy control and landing). Second try was with only one instructor and I nailed it, for the most part. ;) My second jump was later and there was a dust devil at the edge of the landing area and I overshot and flew RIGHT next to the dust devil, so scary but of course I couldn't turn at that point! I still walked in smooth on my landing, but I have no clue how I managed that, since my instructor's radio went out and there was zero assistance on final. Between that and the feel of the choppier air up higher (as compared to early morning), I felt like that jump gave me some really great experience that someone at my level doesn't normally get to come through unscathed, lol!
I'm going back for Cat B and C on Monday, then I won't be able to jump again for almost 2 weeks, but if I could, I think I'd go up every single day! I'm so hooked!

There's no weather expert quite like a skydiver (except a pilot)! I have three different weather sites and 2 different winds aloft pages bookmarked on my phone... ;)

Welcome to the sky and to SDAZ! It may be a bit breezy this weekend, too; it tends to be windy in the spring here. I'm down there most Saturdays; I'll be there this Saturday for some tunnel whether I get to jump or not, and I'll be back again on the 21st after my vacation.
I did my student work at SDAZ two years ago and it's been home ever since. Let me know when you get your A - I can introduce you to the Load Organizers, and I can make some jumps with you. :)

Welcome to the sport!

We show up early in spring and summer to get the most of the less turbulent and windy day. If you can do the same, that'll help with the jumping at Eloy!

And when you're done with your student jumps, look me up for a jump! I load organize there. :)

(Till then, look me up for a beer. I load organize at the Prop too :D )
Remster

Sorry I didn't see this reply before. That's so awesome that you load organize. I'm definitely going to need some friends in the sport - figuring out all the things I need to know seems pretty daunting! Were you at the boogie this past weekend?

I had my 16th jump yesterday (4 in one day, which I also did on Saturday - and that was pushing it because the last jump yesterday was super turbulent). My last two I had some line twist - not bad, just clearly twisted as I looked up. I still had plenty of altitude so I let it untwist with maybe a little kick or two from me. I know it's not really much of a malfunction, but it's something that I was scared of, and I didn't panic, so I'm feeling good about it!

Something clicked in me this past weekend and I don't just feel like a person learning how to skydive, I feel like a skydiver, I guess? I'm still scared and get like... butterflies or something every time I think about my next jump, but I know I will do it for sure, there is no doubt about that. Not sure what changed, maybe just more experience and more fun things to do in the air. I am now completely obsessed with all things skydiving. I'm constantly looking up videos of malfunctions, formations, free flying, freefall control tips, whatever I can find. And I'm super excited to get gear. I got a cookie helmet and next up is an altimeter. Do you (or anyone reading this!) have suggestions for altimeters?
Anyway, I hope to see you out there after I'm done with my education. :)
Edit: after I'm done with getting my A license, that is! I doubt I will ever stop learning/being educated.

Haha! Yes I'm definitely getting to be pretty great at finding out weather info, lol. Lately SDAZ has been great! Were you at the boogie this weekend? I will for sure hit you up when I get my license, thank you! I have a feeling I'll be out there pretty often. ;)

Hey!

I wasn't at the Patriots Boogie... I slow down a bit in summer in Eloy (events and all!). Next stop: Czeck Republic for a 100 way there!

Don't push it with turbulent conditions... Plenty of people have gotten seriously hurt or worse jumping when the conditions warranted to stay down. When we see the experienced folks NOT team training taking a break, take a break... Us team folks can get a bit stupid: don't be like us.

Alti wise: unless you have lots of money to spend, find a used analog alti. Anything by Alti-2 is great, but really, any decent used analog alti will do at this point, and you'll spend less on gear that you may still damage as you get things dialed in on landings. If you cn spend the money, look at the digital ones out there, but, IMHO, you're beginner's money is better spent on jumps.
Remster