kenssd

Failed AFF Level 3 this week. Now I know just how important leg awareness is :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xDtbLSLUi0

Sky Dive San Diego - AFF level 2 passed earlier that day. Good exit and arch, needed way more leg awareness. I kept bending my legs asymmetrically that resulted in the turning and spinning. The goal of this level is to keep the same heading and stay still. Good handle practice touch. PLF landing but at least it didn't hurt :) Too bad that I didn't pass this level, but it doesn't bother me. No real mishaps or dangers happened so that's fine with me! I definitely see how indoor skydiving tunnel time is very beneficial. Also, I probably could have done some toe touches to get back some leg awareness. Overall I'm still proud of the jumps I did because it was way beyond even my own bucket list goals/expectations.

kenssd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xDtbLSLUi0

Good exit and arch, needed way more leg awareness. I kept bending my legs asymmetrically that resulted in the turning and spinning.

I definitely see how indoor skydiving tunnel time is very beneficial. Also, I probably could have done some toe touches to get back some leg awareness. Overall I'm still proud of the jumps I did because it was way beyond even my own bucket list goals/expectations.

Parts of that dive went very well. You had 5-6+ seconds where you were on heading and very stable. Your unintentional turn was slow, not a fast spin, which is good.

It's sometimes hard to tell with the wide angle lens used on helmet cams, but it looks like maybe your legs are spread too far apart. This can interfere with a good arch thru the hips.

It looks like that last turn was from you dropping your left knee. Arch and stay symmetrical. :)
You also seemed to fly better when you relaxed your hands and arms a bit. Lot of stuff to think about while you're falling thru the sky at 100 mph, right? ;):D

Glad to see you pull nicely. How was your altitude awareness the whole time?

Are you going to get some tunnel time? I feel that's $$ well spent, esp. during AFF. B|

As always, beware of any instruction you get on the internet. ;):D

I also failed level 3. Back in the late 90s, the late and great (make that Heroic) Pat McGowan, who was one of my instructors on that jump, said something to me as we were walking across the grass at Perris after that flail fest of a jump : "Don't worry. Your going to get certified and will be able to make as many jumps as you want, even if it takes a couple more in AFF than you planned. Learning to skydive is a cool goal and you'll get there"

Hundreds of jumps later with some of the best free flyers of that era........Pat was spot on.

I don't think it is correct to use the word "failed" on a skydive unless something went VERY badly wrong. You logged a jump, you learned something and if you are lucky you have a reason to make another one to try and improve on the fun. ;)

Keep it up, all of us have a story of learning and as long as it never stops then the fun just keeps on coming.

Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

WickedWingsuits

I don't think it is correct to use the word "failed" on a skydive unless something went VERY badly wrong. You logged a jump, you learned something and if you are lucky you have a reason to make another one to try and improve on the fun. ;)

Keep it up, all of us have a story of learning and as long as it never stops then the fun just keeps on coming.

^This. Big time.

You didn't get hurt. You didn't really "Fail."

These skills build on themselves.

You simply didn't demonstrate enough skill in that lesson to enable you to move forward to the next one.

I have very simple requirements for a "successful jump":

Land safely.
Learn something.
Have fun.

Everything else is icing on the cake.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

if it helps any, here is my record to date -

AFF level 1 - pass
AFF level 2 - pass
AFF level 3 - pass
AFF level 4 - fail
AFF level 4 - pass
AFF level 5 - fail
AFF level 5 - fail(passed in mid air but was having waayyyyy too much fun and lost it.)
AFF level 5 - fail
AFF level 5 - pass(just)

i'm off to the wind tunnel soon i think, i need to get control of my turns.

keep at it :)