Kanga86

New Girl in Florida

I had my first tandem jump at the end of September. I wasn’t nervous at all, just excited. It took a few weeks to realize that I had done something really incredible; but when it finally hit me, it was like being hit with a wave. All of a sudden, I wanted to know everything about skydiving. I want to be on every plane that I see on my way to and from work. I search the internet for videos and stories and anything else that will fulfill my desire to jump again. People tell me that this high will eventually start to fade, but I see no end to it. And I don’t want it to end!

I am planning to do my second tandem in December (to confirm my love for it) and hope to start AFF in Zephyrhills very soon after that. I am a little nervous about AFF, but a good nervous I think. I’ll welcome any advice and encouraging words. I’m just so excited to start this new journey and to be a part of such a unique and tight-knit community.

Welcome to the forums! :)
Zhills will have a Thanksgiving and Christmas boogie (a skydiving get-together), stop by and check out the fun!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Trafficdiver

Skip the second tandem. Go right to AFF. Trust me, I'm a professional.;)

A tandem probably costs three-quarters as much as an AFF first jump course anyway. To me spending more on tandems is just a waste.
"Now, why do witches burn?"
"...because they're made of... wood?"
"Good. So how do you tell whether she is made of wood?"
"Build a bridge out of her."

Thanks for the input. :)
The people who doubt my high will last either have never jumped or don't share my love for it and are afraid I'll spend all my time jumping. Personally, I can't see that as being a bad thing. ;) I definitely plan on dropping in on the Thanksgiving and Christmas boogie. I can barely contain my excitement. I can't wait!!!

The second tandem does seem like a waste now that you mention it. I guess I thought that the extra experience would help prepare me more for AFF. So tell me, is it best to drag AFF out over a period of time (i.e. weeks)? Or should I take a block of time off work and go as often as possible? Do I even get a choice, or does the DZ dictate it?

Maybe work on developing a good back arch and go for 15 or 20 minutes at iFLY Orlando - in 15 minutes you stand a good chance of attaining good stability in belly flying and be more ready than most for un or less assisted free fall.

Lookout - the tunnel can be addictive. :)

I flew down to FL to do my AFF at Z-hills. I gave myself 10 days and wanted to get my A license during that time. Weather (mostly winds) didn't permit and i got a total of 12 jumps in. If you live close to the dropzone I would say just do it little by little as you have the free time. There is a lot to process and read in the manual and the few days off between jumps will give you something to look forward to during the week. Definitely recommend doing the tunnel as someone suggested. I did a couple AFF jumps then the tunnel and it helped a ton. Good luck!
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
*It's not flair, it's flare*
*Please use "your" and "you're" responsibly*

Again, I appreciate all the advice. Going to iFLY sounds like a great idea. I've been watching some AFF videos and noticed that a lot of people are wobbly. I'm sure that's normal, but I don't mind being extra prepared. But wow! The cost took me by surprise. Luckily my job has been giving out overtime like candy. Though, because of our lack of staff, it has been hard to get time off. With that, the upcoming holidays, and the unfortunate hour and a half drive to the DZ, I'll have to stick with a January AFF plan. I should be able to take a chunk of time off work at that time. Until then, I'll keep watching videos for pointers, maybe log some tunnel time, drive up to Zephyrhills for a day during Thanksgiving and Christmas time to spectate and learn, and work like crazy so I have plenty of jump money.

These next two months will fly by, I'm sure. I'm so excited!!!

In Zhills, ask someone to introduce you to Sally Hathaway. She's an elite and very accomplished skydiver and, last I heard, is a tunnel instructor.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

IFLY Orlando has a tunnel overnight camp coming up Dec 5th 2015.

Time can be bought in 15 minute blocks (158 dollars and change per 15.

Fly from midnight until whenever depending on how many people show up.

Doing a few push ups a day may help build yourself up a bit for it if your upper body isn't in shape.

Call them 1 407 903 1150, explain you're a new skydiver and I believe they will work with you. OBTW Eric Gomez is in charge of the overnight camp - so try to speak with him.

Good Luck in the windy tube - be careful it IS addictive to some.

Well, I think it's time for an update. I started AFF in the middle of January and here I am now...a real skydiver. I got my A License yesterday! Words can't describe how happy I am. I've met so many people and learned so many things in these short weeks, and not just in skydiving. It has literally changed my life and I can't wait until I can move closer to the DZ. After my check dive, I did a sunset 4-way jump. It was perfect. Well okay, the 4-way broke up and ended in a 2-way but it was still one of the most fun jumps I've had so far. I can't wait to go back! The moment I drive onto the DZ, it's like I can finally relax and I feel right at home. I'm in love with all of it. LOVING it!!!!!

Kanga86

Well, I think it's time for an update. I started AFF in the middle of January and here I am now...a real skydiver. I got my A License yesterday! Words can't describe how happy I am. I've met so many people and learned so many things in these short weeks, and not just in skydiving. It has literally changed my life and I can't wait until I can move closer to the DZ. After my check dive, I did a sunset 4-way jump. It was perfect. Well okay, the 4-way broke up and ended in a 2-way but it was still one of the most fun jumps I've had so far. I can't wait to go back! The moment I drive onto the DZ, it's like I can finally relax and I feel right at home. I'm in love with all of it. LOVING it!!!!!

What a Great story and endorsement for the sport, and for your Home DZ. !!! Good Job...:)
Your Enthusiasm & Energy comes right across , in your words.... Sunset 4 way jump !! and an " A License " 4 or 5 weeks after starting !!! It Sure seems like the sport agrees with you !!B|... Enjoy, learn, and thrive.

jmy A 3914 D 12122

Hahahaha. I'm pretty sure I watched this jump. I subscribe to Greg's YouTube channel since I did a lot of jumps with him and like watching the videos and saw that sunset jump. I had a good chuckle when it broke up but only because I've had my fair share of those. It looked like a blast though and skydiving becomes so much more fun once you can jump with others and don't have to worry about performing. congrats!!

Oh awesome. lol So glad to hear the video is available to show people what not to do. Oh well. Not too shabby for my first real jump. And I did have a blast! At least I can laugh about it. I can't wait to jump with more new friends. And to get better. And to actually look like what a skydiver should look like in the air. Haha Like everyone says, this is just the beginning. Looking forward to many more years of jumping and all of the other exciting things that come from being involved in the sport. No boogies for me quite yet. But soon!

Not shabby at all for your first real fun jump! I live in NC but actually heading to jump at zhills sat/sun/mon March 19-21. Let me know if you're gonna be around and we'll do a jump together!
-Jeff