edgee

Newbie and situation in Czech republic

Hi guys :) I am student, I've started skydiving 1 month ago and I have 32 jumps :) My home dropzone is in Czech rep, 1 hour from Prague, really like the place, gear and people, safety is always primary, but I would need few tips from outside about what to do:
- we have only An-2 there, doing lot of tandem jumps, so usually my instructor won't allow me to go more than 1500m (5000ft) so it is hard to train freefall (usually I only try to do new exits, then about 10 seconds with with flips and turns) and even to gain A licence (because in Czech rep. you need to do a lot of 2200m exits during student jumps to gain licence)... well actually I have no other option than lobbying before every jump to go higher, at least those 2200m, because any other DZ is far away and switching is no-way for me
- I borrow all gear from the DZ, now I am considering buying gear:
a) goggles for 15$, because those I borrow are quite old
b) helmet - well, here is my problem :D now I use helmet from DZ, but there isn't many of them, so I have to often use helmet which doesn't fit me right... I can buy the same helmet we use as students there - 50$ openface (over ears protection)... but if I pay another 60$ I can get really nice openhelmet kevlar helmet which I would love sooo much more... but if I pay another 60$ I can have lowcost fullface helmet... but if I pay another 150$ I can have the highend Cookie G3 - so simply I don't want to buy new 100$ when I will "have" to buy G3 in year or two; when I asked my instructor he told me something like: "what?! you are student, don't buy G3 when you can buy the same helmet we use"
c) suit - again, I borrow fullbody suit from DZ, but it doesn't fit me - I can try to find some used one for 150$... but if I pay 100$ I can have "bespoke" lowcost suit... but if I pay another 150$ I can have much better one
d) borrowed altimeters and rigs are good :)

what would you do in my position?

the next thing I would like to mention/know - why there is no forum about czech skydiving, where we can share notes/ideas? there is http://www.4000.cz/ but forum is not used and I can't even register there (it looks like there is nobody who could authenticate my acc)

Thanks anyone for reply in advance

tred

you don't ever "have" to buy a g3

of course, I meant it like... that I know I will possibly buy "better"/more expensive helmet in year or two, so I consider buying something better right now (probably I will decide in next season = march) instead of buying some cheap gear which I won't like and feel uncomfortable with... not exactly G3, but something more expensive than helmet under 200$

Welcome to the forums! :)
Search for a used jumpsuit for now, start with a search on the Classifieds on this site.

If you save money on those items, you might want to consider buying an audible altimeter. They're quite handy to have.

Have fun!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

edgee

Thanks anyone for reply in advance

well, as I frequently visit Prague for Tunneltraining, I guess I may provide some Info.
Are you learning in Kolin?

what I understood:
you are a student
you mostly get 1500 meters
you want higher exits
you don´t want to go to another DZ
you use helmets, that don´t fit
you wear suits that don´t fit
you want to buy stuff for your own

Well, I guess there is potential in you but you should think of some kind of prioritization.

Just for small info:
DZ:
(I think, switching the DZ should be considered ..)

http://www.skywalkers.cz/en/about-us.html
seem to operate a PAC in Most, 120 KM away from Prague

http://en.skycentrum.cz/
as far as I know they operate a LET410.

Both aircrafts should have no problems with getting you up.

Helmet:
imho, depends on what are you plan to be after your student career. Freefly or FS Hero.
In my Student time, no one was allowed to wear a full face at that time. maybe it has changed, especially in Cz.

Suit:
see helmet. As a Student, Booties is a noGo here. Once you gained your licence, it is up to you.

What would I do at your position?
Show up at Hurricane Factory, book some tunneltime for having "freefall-fun" and talk to Venca from Mad Ravens or the other tunnelinstructors.
I think they can help you, their network is huge.

You may even buy some Goggles there from the shop ...

Have fun, stay hungry...
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well