Wonka13

Brand new in Oregon

Hi, everyone!!
Brand new to skydiving & dropzone. Just wanted to say hello & thanks for allowing me to be a part of this community. Went for my first tandem jump on 8/20, my second on 9/3 & going for my 3rd on the 19th. Want to do the AFF course as soon as possible, but might have to delay it until spring due to the unpredictable nature of Oregon winters (my DZ is 2 hrs away in good weather). I've been reading everything I can get my hands on & watching videos in an attempt to learn as much as possible. Planning on buying a "starter" rig after starting AFF, so any advice, knowledge or input you guys would care to share with me regarding AFF, Coaching, Gear buying etc. would be greatly appreciated! Damn I love jumping outta planes!!
Lead or Follow, but get the hell outta my way!

Welcome to the sky....:)
Get with reputable gear dealers when you are ready...but wait for now

OH and do as I did for a long time during hop and pop season in the NW....( low clouds and you can only do hop and pops under the clouds for months on end)

Get on a plane and fly to PHX rent a car and head to Eloy. You can jump at one of the best DZ's in the country.... and get in 20 jumps on a 3 day weekend... do it once a month ..enough to get out of the dreary weather..... 4 trips or so over the winter will keep you sane during SAD season.( Seasonal Affected Disorder)

Oh and when you rent gear at Eloy you can try all kinds of canopies and rigs from their gear store.

Jeanne

Thanks, Jeanne!

I'll look into Eloy...you're definitely spot on about the SAD season in Oregon. I live outside Bend, so don't get as much of the dreary weather, but all the DZ's seem to be in the valley with the associated nasty weather that brings. Now, being able to talk the wife into multiple winter trips to Phoenix is an all together different animal! Lol. Gotta figure a way to sweeten the pot I guess. Ha!

Holy crap, just looked up the Eloy DZ....that's a lot of planes they run!! The DZ in Eugene I go to usually runs 1 plane though they might run an additional during the peak of the busy season (not sure). I can see how you'd be able to get 20 something jumps during a 3 day span @ Eloy. Sheesh.

Wonka13

Thanks, Jeanne!

I'll look into Eloy...you're definitely spot on about the SAD season in Oregon. I live outside Bend, so don't get as much of the dreary weather, but all the DZ's seem to be in the valley with the associated nasty weather that brings. Now, being able to talk the wife into multiple winter trips to Phoenix is an all together different animal! Lol. Gotta figure a way to sweeten the pot I guess. Ha!

Check into renting an RV.... and check out the RV park at the DZ.... and the Holiday Boogie for Xmas and New Years.. is a good time.... a VERY good time...;);)

Thanks, Jerry! I've been following the iFLY Portland, but only knew that it was opening in 2015...great news that it'll be next month! I'd heard that the Madras DZ was slowing down, happy to hear they still have weekend jumps. Do you happen to know if they do AFF courses as well as fun jumps and have you jumped there (if so, your thoughts on them)?

Hi Wonka,

your thoughts on them

I have jumped at Madras over the years; but have not jumped with this owner.

I just saw Bob Daughs ( the former owner of the Madras dz ) and he said that he sold it last year ( I think ) but he is still providing the airplane.

And I do not know what they offer; look here:

https://www.facebook.com/centraloregonskydive

Good luck; and let us know what you find out. It might help others,

Jerry Baumchen

Bob is still the dzo in Madras as far as I know, they are having a mini end of the year boogie in October. He has also flown some loads at the Sisters airport this summer and starting next year there will be a new DZ there.

No need to drive clear to Eugene to jump a cessna, Madras is much closer. Sisters will be even closer to Bend once they get going there.

I have jumped in Central Oregon on and off since the early 80's in Bend, Cline Falls, (Redmond) and Madras. Bob has been running the DZ in Central Oregon since the late 1980's. It has always been low-key laid back atmosphere. Great people and great scenery. The new DZ in Sisters should be awesome.
Onward and Upward!

I've been in contact with the folks that are setting up in Sisters...they seem very personable and took the time to answer my silly "newb" questions for me! I have a jump in Eugene on Saturday & then one scheduled on the 9th in Sisters. Will be very nice having a DZ only 15 minutes away from my home!!