Thrilliam

Newbie seeking advice!

Hey all!
So I completed ground school and AFF level 1 this past weekend. It was AMAZING! It was also so cool to see experienced skydivers welcoming us to their DZ and providing helpful tips and tricks.
However, being a poor college student with no money and no car, I don't see how I can continue to stay current in this sport and progress my skills while maintaining my studies and life back here on campus.

I am afraid to dish out the majority of my savings on AFF when I might not be able to keep jumping afterwards. It would surely suck to lose most of your progress after working hard to gain the basic skills.

Has anyone else on here managed to balance their ramen-noodle college lifestyle with their love for skydiving?

My mind is telling me that my focus should be on school to get the degree to pay for future jumpsB| but its just so tempting to continue!

Lastly, is there a cheaper way to experience human flight that doesn't require as much money as skydiving? I've looked into paragliding, but the training/startup costs are still all too high for my broke self:S

Cheers!

Liam

my advice... stay in school get a good job and start skydiving when you can go at it 100%.

you could visit the tunnel from time to time while finishing school, wouldn't break your bank and would benefit you down the road.

or learn to pack

You now have serious incentive to do better in school to assure enough income to be able to pursue the sky the right way.

This is sport that money is pretty important in because taking cheap alternatives due to lack of $$$ could endanger your life at some point.

from another n00b. It doesnt get any cheaper man. If you don't think you can afford it then you are probably right. Once you finish the expensive instructor and coach jumps required for A licnese you think it gets cheaper but then you start wanting your own gear and the trade off begins. Not to mention beer...

You are very fortunate you found the sky relatively early in life, got to try it and at least know it will wait for you to become better situated.

I didn't find the wind tunnel (which was love at first sight/touch) until my mid 60's - that's OK though - at least I found it and can now fly my ass off 'till bankrupt. LOL

My suggestion would be, everyone agrees that school should be the priority. If you got the time and the desire you can go to the drop zone and talk to the owner or manager… anyone, if you can help out there on something. It can be sweeping the area couple of times (just an example) or anything else…. In exchange for jumps there and here. Just an idea. But first decide what you want. I noticed that you associate you decisions and desires with cost (money). Do you want to proceed with skydiving? Para-gliding?.... your call. Some people do it all but they got the means for it. Take my word when I say I understand the desire to skydive. It is intoxicating and wonderful.
Good luck with every decision you make. I hope you put college on the top of the list.