iwasyourpilot

Student Pilot Ditching the Plane

I've been interested in aviation my whole life. Growing up, my father flew hot air balloons and my summers would be spent at airports for festivals.

Fast forward twenty years later and I find myself taking flight lessons. I found airplanes to be much more thrilling than the balloon but as fun as the plane is, I had always wanted to skydive and this just fueled my want.

After meeting a skydiver a year ago who promised to take me on my first tandem, I waited and waited. Insert side eye here. Last weekend I decided to stop waiting on others and found a DZ with a gorgeous view (is there such a thing as a non-gorgeous view when that high up? I didn't think so). To say it was life changing would be an understatement.

I thought I would be nervous but it felt so natural. I had a feeling beforehand this was something I'd want to continue and I couldn't have been more correct.

I start the AFF program through my local DZ this upcoming Tuesday!

Nicknero1405

Good luck on your AFF mate!
Just be careful that you don't accidentally jump out of your own airplane the next time you are the pilot again. Because that must be some great temptation. Haha

Thanks! I'll try to stay inside while PIC!

skymama

Welcome to the forums! :)

I hope so! The toughest part so far is explaining to people why I'd rather jump than be in the plane... I keep telling them they have to experience it to understand B|

iwasyourpilot

I hope so! The toughest part so far is explaining to people why I'd rather jump than be in the plane... I keep telling them they have to experience it to understand B|

Although there's a lot to be said for getting so comfortable with operating a vehicle that you can become one with it and have it feel like an extension of your own body, getting out of the machine and having nothing between you and the sky still beats it hands down. It is the most pure way to experience flight imaginable.

It's the same with my wingsuit. You'd think all that fabric would feel artificial, but when I get out of the plane with it, I'm at one with the wind in an almost incomprehensible way. If you've ever imagined or had a dream about flying, it's like that. Only... more.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

Although there's a lot to be said for getting so comfortable with operating a vehicle that you can become one with it and have it feel like an extension of your own body, getting out of the machine and having nothing between you and the sky still beats it hands down. It is the most pure way to experience flight imaginable.

Exactly!

FlyingRhenquest

It's the same with my wingsuit. You'd think all that fabric would feel artificial, but when I get out of the plane with it, I'm at one with the wind in an almost incomprehensible way. If you've ever imagined or had a dream about flying, it's like that. Only... more.

I bet it's unbelievable!

I'm wondering if I made a mistake in the school I picked... The first impression hasn't been great.

The hangar is across the active so when you park, you call and they come to get you. According to their website, they also check for jumpers approximately every five minutes.

I - as well as another person here for a tandem - have been waiting in the parking lot for 55 minutes. I understand patience is needed but this is getting a little ridiculous. I'm going to be paying them $2,600.00+, is this how it will be every time?

Today is tandem one of the three they require... It's not too late to switch if I have to.

Thoughts?

First, I hope your tandem was fun and you had a great time..

For training, there are several methods out there; AFF, IAD, Static Line, and the Tandem progression. However, most DZ's only offer 1 or 2 training opportunities - Some are Tandem only DZ's..

Therefore, depending on how far you want to travel, take a look at USPA's DZ listing and then go visit. Some DZ's have limitations, but you should always be comfortable..

Plus, since you are a pilot, you may have a little more 'range' in your search. We have a student that flys in an hour for his AFF at our little C-182 DZ.. This is where he started and he enjoys our group.. We have had others that felt it better to drive a bit to DZ's with a larger plane so they can get more jumps..

I would suggest NOT to buy some Large Package deal for training.. Enjoy your first jumps and be sure to check with any other DZ if they will accept your previous training before you make changes later on..

For example, we will accept a signed log book, but usually have you repeat the last student jump with one of our instructors - just so we feel comfortable with you too...:)
Have Fun...

Tom

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

TEB6363

First, I hope your tandem was fun and you had a great time..

For training, there are several methods out there; AFF, IAD, Static Line, and the Tandem progression. However, most DZ's only offer 1 or 2 training opportunities - Some are Tandem only DZ's..

Therefore, depending on how far you want to travel, take a look at USPA's DZ listing and then go visit. Some DZ's have limitations, but you should always be comfortable..

Plus, since you are a pilot, you may have a little more 'range' in your search. We have a student that flys in an hour for his AFF at our little C-182 DZ.. This is where he started and he enjoys our group.. We have had others that felt it better to drive a bit to DZ's with a larger plane so they can get more jumps..

I would suggest NOT to buy some Large Package deal for training.. Enjoy your first jumps and be sure to check with any other DZ if they will accept your previous training before you make changes later on..

For example, we will accept a signed log book, but usually have you repeat the last student jump with one of our instructors - just so we feel comfortable with you too...:)
Have Fun...

Tom

Thanks for the info, Tom.

My tandem was fun (of course) although I was expecting a training tandem - which is what I did in Virginia last week. However, they wanted to me to do a fun tandem since that's "the course plan they have set up for me".

There is another DZ about 75 minutes drive time from my house. I'm tempted to give them a try, although continuing tandems at random locations is going to drain my bank account before AFF even starts!

Unfortunately, flying isn't an option yet since I am still a student pilot. Plus a plane rental and fuel once I have my license adds up quickly - especially on top of AFF.

I'm hoping one of the closer locations works out! I also plan on doing some of my AFF jumps in Virginia where I did my first tandem since everyone there was amazing, so I'm glad I didn't buy any package.

Thanks again :)

TEB6363

For example, we will accept a signed log book, but usually have you repeat the last student jump with one of our instructors - just so we feel comfortable with you too.

Tom, would your DZ do that to a student that made their previous jumps at another DZ within a couple of weeks previous, and had nothing but good comments in their logbook?

Gary,

We have a few DZ's that we are very familiar with and will proceed on with the next step. That is if we can tell it is a valid entry/signature or can do a quick call to confirm..

If someone is at a month out, or maybe left some DZ not really familiar to us, then we typically to lean to the conservative...

But, we usually do try and "keep the student learning" and not just waste money because they didn't start with us.. We'll add some other skills into the dive if we can..

Tom

Edited for punctuation

Glad you had another enjoyable jump.. It is a bummer that you did not get to "work" more on this jump..

I bet you can find a DZ to start AFF on your next jump... It sounds like you are really ready..

But, since you already mentioned possibly doing some AFF in Virginia, give them a call and check on what they want for documentation on previous jumps..

Like I just mentioned to Gary above; if I know the DZ it is often not an issue to go on with the next AFF level. But, it won't hurt to check with Both DZ's about completing training between the locations..

PS, save the next tandem money and go fly in a tunnel if you can;)

iwasyourpilot

Unfortunately, flying isn't an option yet since I am still a student pilot. Plus a plane rental and fuel once I have my license adds up quickly - especially on top of AFF.

3 words for you: Solo cross country. ;)

:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

TEB6363

PS, save the next tandem money and go fly in a tunnel if you can;)

I hope to get some tunnel time one day. When in a students progression do you recommend tunnel? Or should I wait until after I get my A license? Fingers crossed that the rumors of getting on at King of Prussia, PA are true; that's only 1.5 hours from me!

theonlyski

3 words for you: Solo cross country.

I'm not sure the flight school would agree with that but sounds like a great idea to me! Two birds, one stone - right?

iwasyourpilot

***PS, save the next tandem money and go fly in a tunnel if you can;)

I hope to get some tunnel time one day. When in a students progression do you recommend tunnel? Or should I wait until after I get my A license? Fingers crossed that the rumors of getting on at King of Prussia, PA are true; that's only 1.5 hours from me!

I did 6 minutes between AFF 1 and 2 and another 7 minutes between 3 and 4. It helps with the flying part. My sister said her tandem jump would have been a lot scarier if she hadn't gone to the tunnel first.

People I've taken to the tunnel who've never jumped out of a plane start to look pretty comfortable on their belly within 20-30 minutes of accumulated flight time. First 10 minutes is pretty awkward, then you start getting the hang of it, then you start to relax while you're flying.

A co-worker of mine has several hours in the tunnel now and is a better freeflyer than I am even though she's never jumped out of a plane. However, since she just rushed into freeflying, you can tell from watching us fly that I'm much more comfortable on my belly. She is catching up quickly, though!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?