Juiceman

Newbie Here

Hi Skymama, I feel I want to do a Tandem first to get a feel for Skydiving and also it will help my nerves. I'm thinking once I have done my first jump I will want to do more jumps. I always guess jumping out the plane must be difficult. I'm a total novice so not sure if Static line or AFF is a good route. You done lots of jumps?

I've done more jumps than some and not anywhere near others. :)I've never done a static line jump, but many people have, and progressed just fine. I think the most popular route is AFF now. Do you have a wind tunnel nearby? Time in the tunnel isn't required, but usually helps.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanks, Yeah I do think a Tandem is a good way to start. I'm always nervous doing any Adrenaline activities. It hasn't stopped me from going Zorbing, Swinging off Cliffs on a giant swing, and doing Assault courses and zip wires over the last few months.

I imagine a Tandem gives you that taster of it all. I imagine AFF is hard work and you have to be really fit? I have seen a tandem you just fall out the plane. I guess it must be very different on your own?

Im going to check out wind tunnels soon. I have some friends that seem to fancy Sky Diving.

Not really, no. I mean, you're going to get to pull altitude no matter how fit or unfit you are. And canopy work isn't a huge effort, either. You'll probably be sore from the tunnel a few times if you're really out of shape, at least until you learn to relax and stop fighting the wind.

Wingsuiting's a bit more work -- two to three times the freefall while holding the suit in a decent position. But you don't have to worry about that for a couple hundred jumps minimum.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Juiceman

I know once I do a jump I will want more.

That's exactly how I got into this sport. I did my very first Tandem jump two months ago. And after experiencing that I was so hyped up that within a week I decided to start on my AFF. And now, two months later I've logged 30 jumps so far.

Sooooo yeah, best of luck to you if you're happening to go through the same thing! ^^

Hi. I can believe that. Most people I speak to say the same. I could go and do a bungee jump or similar but I can see potential for progression with skydiving and I also see it as a great way to meet like minded people.

I'm amazed how many jumps you have done it two months. I wish you good luck.

Juiceman

I'm amazed how many jumps you have done it two months. I wish you good luck.

Well, once I was finished with my AFF (And I already had those 7 jumps logged), I jumped almost every weekend. Mostly 3-5 jumps per week. So it's pretty easy to get to 30 jumps with that dedication. :3

And to those who might think: "Jumping that many times a day, must cost a buttload!" Well, yeah. But I have invested a LOT into getting my own gear very early on. I have my own helmet (Cookie Fuel), Alti-meter (Analog FT60), Rig (Triathlon 210 as main), and my Jumpsuit (Bev Competition Jumpsuit) is being shipped right now.
So, I save myself a lot of rental costs in the long run, which is a smart idea if you plan to jump as much as I do. ;)

I imagine a Tandem gives you that taster of it all. I imagine AFF is hard work and you have to be really fit? I have seen a tandem you just fall out the plane. I guess it must be very different on your own?

You don't have to be really fit to do AFF. There are some pretty fat and out of shape people in skydiving. :ph34r: You DO have to be below the weight restrictions. As long as you are under 225, you should be ok for a tandem. If you weigh more than that, speak to the dropzone manager about what kind of student canopies they have to accommodate you. That said, it is always helpful to work on your arms and core strength.

Yes, there is a big difference between doing a tandem and doing AFF. You will start out in a classroom if you do AFF where you will do ground school for a few hours. With a tandem, they will just give you a short overview of what is about to happen and you will be just along for the ride.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon