Fogest

Doing my first jump soon!

Hello everyone,

I found this forum a little while ago and thought I should make a post! I am going to be going on my first jump April 4th at Skydive Toronto! For my first jump I'm doing a solo jump from a static line at 4000'.

I look forward to working towards becoming a certified Skydiver! I've been in a wind tunnel before and I enjoyed that so I hope I will enjoy this even more!

gregpso

Enjoy it mate a world of adventure awaits you !!

I look forward to this adventure!

dthames

I have good memories of the static line jumps that I did in my student training. I enjoyed the challenge of just me and the wind.

Welcome to the sport.

Thanks! I'm sure it should be memorable! I plan to keep doing it after! I just think the feeling of floating through the air at such a height will be amazing!

Well I wasn't able to do my first jump today :(. I completed my required training however so I am ready to do my first jump once the weather is better. The winds were greater than 15 km/h as well as the ground temperature was around 0 degrees celsius so it wouldn't have been a very comfortable jump.

Sucks that I had to drive 3 hours total just to do some training, but I'm still looking forward to eventually getting to jump on a better, warmer day!

Hope you get up for your jump soon. Rotten weather that shuts down jumping is just part of the deal. I coudn't jump yesterday- drizzle, then rain and heavy low cloud all day so bad that early in the morning the DZ decided no one was going up all day. And I have a drive there that takes a while. So usually, on days when I have been put onto weather hold because of winds being too high for student jumps, when the DZ was otherwise open, I have had lessons on packing, watched others land, watched dirt dives, talked to people and learnt as much as I could that way, and made a bunch of friends. It has never been a loss, I have always learnt loads, even though it is frustrating to not get to jump sometimes.
Have fun with it- when do you get your first freefall, when you are on a static line program? Canopy flight rocks, but freefall is amazing, I really can't decide which I love most. I'm in the AFF course, loving it, heading in to Level 4 next jump.

FlyBabeAU

Hope you get up for your jump soon. Rotten weather that shuts down jumping is just part of the deal. I coudn't jump yesterday- drizzle, then rain and heavy low cloud all day so bad that early in the morning the DZ decided no one was going up all day. And I have a drive there that takes a while. So usually, on days when I have been put onto weather hold because of winds being too high for student jumps, when the DZ was otherwise open, I have had lessons on packing, watched others land, watched dirt dives, talked to people and learnt as much as I could that way, and made a bunch of friends. It has never been a loss, I have always learnt loads, even though it is frustrating to not get to jump sometimes.
Have fun with it- when do you get your first freefall, when you are on a static line program? Canopy flight rocks, but freefall is amazing, I really can't decide which I love most. I'm in the AFF course, loving it, heading in to Level 4 next jump.

There is actually now a lot of snow on the ground today. Just yesterday no snow and it was seeming like spring weather was finally coming, but now today it seems just like winter again. So it looks like I may have to wait a weekend or two before I can even think about trying to go again.

The program I am in is called the Gradual Freefall program. The idea with it is that we slowly go higher and higher up. The point is to ensure good canopy skills first, over gaining the freefall skills first. I believe I do 2-4 static line jumps first then move up to 4500 ft and I deploy myself. After a couple of those jumps I move up a little higher and work on other skills. We just keep progressing like that until eventually I'm doing things at 10000 ft.

I feel like I'll love freefall more than the canopy, but I haven't done it yet so I honestly can't say if that will be true until I get to jump!

Fogest

***Hope you get up for your jump soon. Rotten weather that shuts down jumping is just part of the deal. I coudn't jump yesterday- drizzle, then rain and heavy low cloud all day so bad that early in the morning the DZ decided no one was going up all day. And I have a drive there that takes a while. So usually, on days when I have been put onto weather hold because of winds being too high for student jumps, when the DZ was otherwise open, I have had lessons on packing, watched others land, watched dirt dives, talked to people and learnt as much as I could that way, and made a bunch of friends. It has never been a loss, I have always learnt loads, even though it is frustrating to not get to jump sometimes.

There is actually now a lot of snow on the ground today. Just yesterday no snow and it was seeming like spring weather was finally coming, but now today it seems just like winter again. So it looks like I may have to wait a weekend or two before I can even think about trying to go again.

The program I am in is called the Gradual Freefall program. The idea with it is that we slowly go higher and higher up. The point is to ensure good canopy skills first, over gaining the freefall skills first. I believe I do 2-4 static line jumps first then move up to 4500 ft and I deploy myself. After a couple of those jumps I move up a little higher and work on other skills. We just keep progressing like that until eventually I'm doing things at 10000 ft.

I feel like I'll love freefall more than the canopy, but I haven't done it yet so I honestly can't say if that will be true until I get to jump!

Welcome aboard! If you've flown in the tunnel, you have an idea of what freefall is like. I had some time in the tunnel before I jumped the first time and it was by far the most fun thing I'd ever done. The actual feeling of freefall is AMAZING. Canopy flight is fun too, but for me freeflying is where it's at.

Have fun, stay safe, and keep us posted on the progress!

bugeater

******Hope you get up for your jump soon. Rotten weather that shuts down jumping is just part of the deal. I coudn't jump yesterday- drizzle, then rain and heavy low cloud all day so bad that early in the morning the DZ decided no one was going up all day. And I have a drive there that takes a while. So usually, on days when I have been put onto weather hold because of winds being too high for student jumps, when the DZ was otherwise open, I have had lessons on packing, watched others land, watched dirt dives, talked to people and learnt as much as I could that way, and made a bunch of friends. It has never been a loss, I have always learnt loads, even though it is frustrating to not get to jump sometimes.

Welcome aboard! If you've flown in the tunnel, you have an idea of what freefall is like. I had some time in the tunnel before I jumped the first time and it was by far the most fun thing I'd ever done. The actual feeling of freefall is AMAZING. Canopy flight is fun too, but for me freeflying is where it's at.

Have fun, stay safe, and keep us posted on the progress!

Thanks for the welcome! I have been in a tunnel once before, however it was kinda crappy one where they didn't give me much freedom and it wasn't very powerful so it wasn't all that fun. I'm sure I will definitely enjoy freefall. It just seems so much more intense to have that feeling of falling at such an intense speed. I'm sure I will enjoy both, just maybe one a little more than the other.

Hope the snow melts soon for you.
I haven't been in a wind tunnel yet, initial free fall experience was a tandem, from 14,000 feet. :)
Then it was into the AFF program which are the jumps that I count on my currently tiny, newbie jump tally, where I'm responsible for myself. Each has been different and amazing, I love the feels and visuals of the stages of each jump, and adore the sound of the canopy flying. Kinda just tune out the massively loud noise volume of wind in free fall, a couple of seconds into a jump now. Its funny how the brain seems to adjust a bit to different environments ;)

FlyBabeAU

Hope the snow melts soon for you.
I haven't been in a wind tunnel yet, initial free fall experience was a tandem, from 14,000 feet. :)
Then it was into the AFF program which are the jumps that I count on my currently tiny, newbie jump tally, where I'm responsible for myself. Each has been different and amazing, I love the feels and visuals of the stages of each jump, and adore the sound of the canopy flying. Kinda just tune out the massively loud noise volume of wind in free fall, a couple of seconds into a jump now. Its funny how the brain seems to adjust a bit to different environments ;)

It all sounds really fun. I'm sure I may get some sensory overload as well and not be able to remember some parts too. Does AFF stand for Accelerated Freefall program or something? Just never heard the term. The program I am doing is called GFP for gradual freefall program.

I finally got to go today! It was great weather out with very little wind! I really enjoyed my first jump.

My only problem was exiting the plane. This was one of the smaller planes used for static line and it has a step and a 45 degree beam from the wing that you hold onto. Due to my height it was hard to properly exit the plane and as such when I exited the plane I was in a tumble. Luckily I only had a few line twists to kick out and I was good to go, but I guess it could have been worse.

My jump master suggested that next time I come I ask whichever instructor I am with on an alternate exit position due to being 6'5".

Do any taller folks here know of a good position to use when jumping out of a plane like I described? The plane was a C182.

Fogest

I finally got to go today! It was great weather out with very little wind! I really enjoyed my first jump.

My only problem was exiting the plane. This was one of the smaller planes used for static line and it has a step and a 45 degree beam from the wing that you hold onto. Due to my height it was hard to properly exit the plane and as such when I exited the plane I was in a tumble. Luckily I only had a few line twists to kick out and I was good to go, but I guess it could have been worse.

My jump master suggested that next time I come I ask whichever instructor I am with on an alternate exit position due to being 6'5".

Do any taller folks here know of a good position to use when jumping out of a plane like I described? The plane was a C182.

I'm 6' 3" and have similar issues. You were on a Cessna 182 correct? It's not easy getting out on the peg under the wing, you need to stay in a crouched position but not so low you can't push off with your leg. Basically crouched, knees slightly bent but keep your ass up. As you release push out away from the plane, no need to push back and definitely not up into the door where you could catch your container.

AZogrediver

***I finally got to go today! It was great weather out with very little wind! I really enjoyed my first jump.

I'm 6' 3" and have similar issues. You were on a Cessna 182 correct? It's not easy getting out on the peg under the wing, you need to stay in a crouched position but not so low you can't push off with your leg. Basically crouched, knees slightly bent but keep your ass up. As you release push out away from the plane, no need to push back and definitely not up into the door where you could catch your container.

Yes, that is the plane I was in. We are sitting in the plane in the position where our butts are sitting on our feet (really uncomfortable), and due to my height/weight I am the first to jump. I have to stick my left arm and foot out, hand on the wing support, and foot in the step, and then I am suppose to stick my butt out awkwardly at an angle and go. It is hard to actually do this though due to the size of the frame, and the door at the top. With my height I am really squished and can't really do it properly. I believe most people either would jump right out, or jump out facing backwards, however as we are in training we are doing this way.

I feel like how I released from the plane made the wind catch me on my right side first pulling me into a short spin before the static line pulled the chute. I just feel like the way I am going out doesn't work at all for me.

Yes, that is the plane I was in. We are sitting in the plane in the position where our butts are sitting on our feet (really uncomfortable), and due to my height/weight I am the first to jump. I have to stick my left arm and foot out, hand on the wing support, and foot in the step, and then I am suppose to stick my butt out awkwardly at an angle and go. It is hard to actually do this though due to the size of the frame, and the door at the top. With my height I am really squished and can't really do it properly. I believe most people either would jump right out, or jump out facing backwards, however as we are in training we are doing this way.

I feel like how I released from the plane made the wind catch me on my right side first pulling me into a short spin before the static line pulled the chute. I just feel like the way I am going out doesn't work at all for me.

Gotcha, talk to your instructors as it may not work for the early AFF jumps but a diving(rear facing) exit may be a better option. I do level 6 next and will be doing a diving exit, did a few practices on the ground, the concept is a bit intimidating but sounds like it may work better.

Here's my level 5 from the 182 today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KymwrZqgfko

Not the best exit as you can see it's a tight fit for me also.

Heh, and I thought I had a legitimate gripe about getting me and two AFF instructors out the door of a king air! I guess I shouldn't be so complainey. The couple of times I've done a ride in a Cessna (206b) I usually end up with a leg going to sleep. The last time I just kind of skootched my legs around to the door and just rolled out. Not having your face to the relative wind will flip you around a bit more, though, and that's probably to be avoided for static line training.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

AZogrediver

Gotcha, talk to your instructors as it may not work for the early AFF jumps but a diving(rear facing) exit may be a better option. I do level 6 next and will be doing a diving exit, did a few practices on the ground, the concept is a bit intimidating but sounds like it may work better.

Here's my level 5 from the 182 today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KymwrZqgfko

Not the best exit as you can see it's a tight fit for me also.

I am in Canada doing a "gradual freefall" course so it may be a little different than the levels you are referring to but I'm sure it is a similar idea. From watching the video it does look like the same kind of progression. Eventually I'll have to do some flips mid air and a wave off like it looks like you had to do. And the aircraft does look the same. I was sitting in the same spot as you, except you luckily were allowed to sit in a more comfortable position. I had to be facing the other way, and had to sit with my butt on my feet which is quite uncomfortable, but I'll manage :). It looks like you also get to step fully out with both feet! Our exit position looks kinda similar to yours except that our right foot is suppose to be against the side of the door opening and then we kinda stick our butt out a little. So in ours we are still slightly in the plane, make it a lot harder for me. It looks like the way you got to do it would possibly make it a little easier for me.

FlyingRhenquest

Heh, and I thought I had a legitimate gripe about getting me and two AFF instructors out the door of a king air! I guess I shouldn't be so complainey. The couple of times I've done a ride in a Cessna (206b) I usually end up with a leg going to sleep. The last time I just kind of skootched my legs around to the door and just rolled out. Not having your face to the relative wind will flip you around a bit more, though, and that's probably to be avoided for static line training.

Yeah, my feet were definitely going to sleep, and my legs were starting too. I was glad I could be the first one out! With being a student at the dropzone I'm going to we can't just roll out of the plane yet, though that would make it a lot easier with my height if I could. It does make sense that for right now we need to be facing the wind, especially with the static line, however the position I need to go out in is very awkward for a person of my height.

Yeah, its a tight fit in a little Cessna. Being the heaviest I sit up from but my legs are usually sandwiched in on my instructors and I've had a couple sleepy legs when climbing out, its hard to plant your feet on the peg when they have no feeling!! It was friggin tough on jump #2 going out with 2 instructors, frankly I'm surprised my left side instructor held on at all. Because of it on level 3 I went out with my main instructor holding on and my left side came out after and docked once we stabilized. Now I'm solo and it just works so much better.

AZogrediver

Yeah, its a tight fit in a little Cessna. Being the heaviest I sit up from but my legs are usually sandwiched in on my instructors and I've had a couple sleepy legs when climbing out, its hard to plant your feet on the peg when they have no feeling!! It was friggin tough on jump #2 going out with 2 instructors, frankly I'm surprised my left side instructor held on at all. Because of it on level 3 I went out with my main instructor holding on and my left side came out after and docked once we stabilized. Now I'm solo and it just works so much better.

There was only myself and another student plus the jumpmaster for me and it was pretty tight. For our training the instructor does not jump with us. I jumped, then the plane circles back around and drops the other student and then the jump master jumps out after. We then communicate with someone on the ground via walkie talkie. If I took the progressive free fall course instead of the gradual one then I would have had instructors jumping with me.

Luckily despite my foot being asleep I could still feel the step however I was pretty shakey due to the wind and my nerves. I don't think the pilot I had cut the throttle as much as he did for yours, at least from what I could tell from your video. I wish he cut it more :P.