Rossco_DJ

G'day from Newcastle, Australia

Hey all!

Just wanted to poke my head in and say G'day. Booked in for my AFF stage 1 in a few weeks, after umming and aahhing about it for a few years.... And finally going tandem last weekend, which i thoroughly enjoyed. (solid thumbs up in the photo attached!)

Figured, I'm going to be doing a lot more reading than posting here for a while, so i should at least introduce myself!

-Rossco

I'm assuming CI means Chief Instructor? I was watching him a little after he introduced himself as my tandem, I did notice he had a few pointers to some of the solo guys that were landing while we were waiting. Was a good bloke to jump with, kept it relaxed and fun but i could tell he was on to everything that was going on.

Definitely enjoyed the vibe, and the people i met up there on the day!

Thanks everyone!! Im sure I'm going to love it. Im actually a little bit nervous... but i think its mostly because I'm thinking about the actual jump, when i haven't been through all the training, etc, that will happen tomorrow. Let you all know how i go! Good luck on the L4 this weekend, FlyBabeAU.

Rossco_DJ

Thanks everyone!! Im sure I'm going to love it. Im actually a little bit nervous... but i think its mostly because I'm thinking about the actual jump, when i haven't been through all the training, etc, that will happen tomorrow. Let you all know how i go! Good luck on the L4 this weekend, FlyBabeAU.

Umm...

No.

You're nervous because you are planning on jumping out of a plane that's a couple miles above the ground.

It's a very unnatural and counterintuitive action.

EVERY instinct in your body will be screaming "DON'T DO IT!!!!"

If that isn't happening then there is something wrong with you.

But do it anyway.

It's really cool.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

What wolfriverjoe said, right there! Total mind F#*( but so very, very cool.
Its funny in just a few jumps to think of what I have now come to consider as normal, like very loud, windy, open doorways at altitude, just asking to be jumped from…and other stuff. Love it, all of it. Feels like such a privilege being up there in open air falling back to earth.
How'd your jump go?

Hahaha, yeah, i guess the whole "don't jump out of an aeroplane" thing might have something to do with it.

Absolutely loved it. I jumped last today, was happy to just chill out and watch the others and see what they do. Was nervous getting in the plane, pretty much shitting myself when the door opened, so i took a few deep breaths and looked at my alto, but then when it was time to do my instructor checks, habit took over and i was out the door before i could even think 'holy shit I'm about to jump out".

Dive went well, was stable the whole way, kept aware of my altitude. The instructors said it was a bit boring for them, because they didn't really have to do anything. I could probably arch a bit more, and my knees were a bit far apart. Missed my PC on the first practice pull, but got it on the second and deployment, and i dropped my right shoulder a bit on deployment too. Couple of things to work on!

Had a half line twist on deployment, but i kicked out easy enough. I've got to relax a bit more under canopy, i was a bit tense, but other than that, really enjoyed floating around getting buffeted by the wind, and trusting my instructor on the radio that even though i was a good kilometre away from the DZ, aiming full speed away from the DZ was the right thing to be doing. Was a bit crooked on landing because of the wind (and not quite facing fully into it), proooobably cooould have stood it up, but decided to PLR anyway, because i wasn't 100% sure, i don't know any better and i figure it's worth the practice before i need it for real!

Can't wait to go again!

Thanks everyone!

It sounds like you did pretty good.

Giving your instructors an "exciting" jump is usually not a good thing.

The mistakes sound both typical and minor.

Rossco_DJ

...Was a bit crooked on landing because of the wind (and not quite facing fully into it), proooobably cooould have stood it up, but decided to PLR anyway, because i wasn't 100% sure, i don't know any better and i figure it's worth the practice before i need it for real!

That is probably the best decision you could have made.
If you aren't sure you can land well, PLF it. (We call it a Parachute Landing Fall here in the US, same thing).

Having a good PLF in your 'toolbox' will save you in the future.

Glad you had a good jump.

You are soooo screwed now...

Just like the rest of us. :P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

strife

How did your training go.

CReW jumping next weekend so that will be good to have a gander at and a party on Saturday night.

Blue ones

Sorry Strife, missed that post earlier! Sounds like a good weekend to be up there. I'm waiting to hear from work if i've got any jobs on this weekend, but I'm going to try and get up there if i don't.

wolfriverjoe

That is probably the best decision you could have made.
If you aren't sure you can land well, PLF it. (We call it a Parachute Landing Fall here in the US, same thing).

Having a good PLF in your 'toolbox' will save you in the future.

Glad you had a good jump.

You are soooo screwed now...

Just like the rest of us.

I'm definitely screwed, hahaha! Can't wait to do the next few stages. Focus a bit more on what i didn't do so well last time.

Cheers, I'll get on to that.

Pumped out four jumps over the weekend.

Jumped out on stage 6, arched, looked down, and saw sky…. shit, i'm on my back! Sorted myself out, checked my alti, and then saw my instructor coming over. Well…. mostly just his teeth, because he was pissing himself laughing almost as much as i was! After we finished off the turns and docks, we were about 7k, and he pointed over my shoulder…. so i turned to look, and we were skimming down the side of a massive white cloud. Was pretty awesome! I looked back at him, gave him a big nod, and then it was time to turn and pull. Probably my favourite jump so far!

Oh, stood up my first landing on stage 5 too. I came in, flared, touched down and thought…. i can't taste grass….. I CAN'T TASTE GRAAAASSSSS!! WOOOO! hahaha!

Stage 7 next. At least i know i can get myself stable off my back, hahaha!

Rossco_DJ

...I came in, flared, touched down and thought…. i can't taste grass….. I CAN'T TASTE GRAAAASSSSS!! WOOOO!...

This is Gold!! So excited for you. I look forward to having landings where the only thing that touches the ground are my feet. Softly. Right now it feels like the Holy Grail. One way or another, grass seems to end up in my mouth or up my nose. :S

Yep, knocked out 7, 8 and 9 on saturday. Hop n pop was a bit of a mindfuck getting out so low, but all went well. Exits from the plane are still a bit sloppy, so I'm definitely going to have to work on that. Got my landings down pretty well though. Did one solo on sunday before i had to leave, can't wait to get back up there this weekend (carton in tow).

Nice work brels are great at the club as you only need to cover the coach slot. Keep your eyes peeled for a canopy course first hop and pop seems low but you will grow to love them. Hopefully we will have night jumps at some point later this year.