Mike2089

Greetings from the UK

Ive been on this forum for a while now getting as many tips as i can and reading as many stories as possible :)

Anyway... i did a tandem and loved it! I've just started my AFF course and spent a week at my DZ but due to wind i only managed to get the 1 jump in which sucked :(

After being so worried about things like twists, other stupid things and everything else before your first jump, once i had done it, it felt amazing being under a "flat, level, fully flared canopy" :)

My question is in this introduction "does it get any easier to throw yourself out of the plane" just before i exited it felt like time had completely stopped and i didn't do my drills correctly, even though i did.

I hope this makes sense to people would love to hear how people over come the "fear" of this because the freefall is amazing and being under the canopy just looking around is such a pleasent place to be!

Yes it gets easier.

You just have to get through it. Relaxation drills, breathing techniques, visualization, all that sort of stuff can help.

But in the end you still have to face the "Door Monster" and fling yourself from the plane.

Read the Duck Cartoons:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4200157#4200157
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Glad to hear i'm not alone!

Since i started the AFF I spoke to a well thought of instructor back in the UK and he said try to visualise every jump and it did help in a way because i just got on with it!

Going up in the plane checking the alti im fine, there is nerves but im calm and go through my drills with my instructor, no mistakes etc

The "in the door" bit for now is just a whole different ball game... for now...

Hi :)
I'm still a relative newbie (been jumping just over a year) and yes, it does get easier. What is it about the exit that gets to you? For me it was the noise and the cold air rushing in as the door was opened, I was always fine up until that point, lol. Once I was out, all the training kicked in and I was fine.

I blogged all my early jumps so if you want another newbie's viewpoint, feel free to have a nose, lol http://affandbeyond.blogspot.co.uk/

A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

Hey Pixie... its the "ohhhhhh sh!t!!!!" moment of thinking of throwing myself out of the plane, even though i can't wait to do it again, i guess thats my way of having "the buzz"?!

It really did fell like time had stopped on the "arch" bit of "out in out" but enver had that with my tandem jump!

Back at Hib tomorrow and fingers crossed the wind is ok, its playing a nightmare with my progress :(

Its not ruining it, yet... ha

Just become really frustrating having clear blue sky and big fluffy clouds high up and not being able to jump, but like you said, thats this sport for you!

Hopefully will finish the AFF and the 10 consols by the end of 2014 i will be happy with that now :)

Mike2089

Its not ruining it, yet... ha

Just become really frustrating having clear blue sky and big fluffy clouds high up and not being able to jump, but like you said, thats this sport for you!

Hopefully will finish the AFF and the 10 consols by the end of 2014 i will be happy with that now :)

Awesome man. Focus on the next jump cause that's the best one!

Keep in mind there are places in the world where the conditions are good to perfect and have lots of planes with lots of jumpers. If you could somehow get there...;)

Mike2089

Hey Pixie... its the "ohhhhhh sh!t!!!!" moment of thinking of throwing myself out of the plane, even though i can't wait to do it again, i guess thats my way of having "the buzz"?!

Ah, yes, I remember that bit very well, lol. I was fine on my tandem, trusted the instructor and on the video I look very relaxed and happy. On my first AFF jump, I was concentrating on my freefall exercises all the way up so didn't really have time to think about what I was going to do.... then screamed my head off as we jumped out, rofl.

I found the best way to deal with it was to take slow deep breaths on the way up in the plane whilst running through all the exercises for that jump in my head. Then a big deep breath as the door is opened, and again as you get to the door. And a big smile :)
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

The same advice as my instructor gave me and it did help... kinda :D haha you go through some many emotions free getting rigged up, climbing to 15k, jumping, opening and then landing! Can see why it gets addictive quick!

Doesn't look good to jump for a while in the UK so trying to head out to Hibaldstow sister DZ late december and try and get the levels and consols done ready for next year!

Tunnel time again on the 8th to keep myself familiar with my drills, plus its a load of fun in the tunnel, cant wait for it to actually become a load of fun in the air!

Mike2089

Doesn't look good to jump for a while in the UK so trying to head out to Hibaldstow sister DZ late december and try and get the levels and consols done ready for next year!

Lol - I thought that at this time last year and went out to Seville for a long weekend to jump. I already had my A licence but the girls i went with were on consols and one of them finished and got her A while we were out there.

Was determined to get my FS1 before Christmas this year if I could so am still jumping (albeit in several layers of Merino wool thermals!!) and was awarded my FS1 on Sunday. But it's getting close to the time when only a solid runway will do as the grass ones are getting waterlogged.

Mike2089

Tunnel time again on the 8th to keep myself familiar with my drills, plus its a load of fun in the tunnel, cant wait for it to actually become a load of fun in the air!

I quickly got bored of doing solos so ended up doing quite a few hop 'n' pops to improve my canopy skills. I had a lot of issues with my landings when I started so I did a canopy course as well as my CH2.

It's definitely much more fun doing 2-ways and now I've got my FS1, I'll be able to jump with more people so hopefully that's going to be a lot of fun. Assuming there are some UK flat flyers around who aren't in hibernation, lol.

Well thats me and my story thus far done for this year, few tunnel sessions to keep me busy until the DZ re opens in Jan.

Decided to opt out to heading to Spain and taking to the slopes instead, always able to ski, chances of jumping aren't for sure :)

Bring on next year where i'll be up at Hib as much as possible getting everything done and qualified :D

Hey Mike,

Welcome to the sport.

Who are your instructors up at Hib? Your in for a shock when you start jumping elsewhere (not counting Seville), as the Dorniers are awesome work horses that get you to 15k ft really quickly.

I learnt up at Hib, i had H as an Instructor a few times. I used to hate the door as well, but i hated having to land on what looked like a tiny triangle of grass more.
Remember getting out of the door will set you free.
Just wait till you can do a floating exit from the camera step on your console jumps, looking down from the tiny step behind the door at the world below still makes me smile even now in disbelief.
Between you and me, if i haven't jumped for a while i still s**t myself getting to the door, so your not alone. But it does get easier.
At long last the light at the end of the tunell isnt an on coming train!!!

Hi Andy and thanks for the advice, even reading and thinking about the console jumps makes me palms sweaty and my heart beat faster!!! Glad to hear from nearly everyone that it does get "easier" since when is jumping from a plane easy huh ;) Enjoying learning and will be glad when i can jump solo and start FS1 and progress.

I don't mind the landing at hib at the minute, im very unfocused on the small triangle as you said and more just making sure its correct and safe. Guess in time that might change...

I did ground school with Jordan, jumped with him Dave H and Shell M, also done some tunnel time with Rob "Crazy"

Mike - Welcome to the skydiving world. I started my journey years back in the military when I was still fit & healthy jumping rounds. Never gave it a second thought leaping out the door, whether it was without kit, or fully loaded or in the dark of night. Fast forward 20 years and I got roped into jumping rounds for commemorative jumps. Was like riding a bike - loved it. Bit the bullet in March and did my AFF & USPA A-licence (1-1) in Seville with an awesome instructor. My exits were mostly all shit. Didn't look forward to my hop-n-pop even though it was from 5 grand (have jumped rounds from 700ft), but it was probably the best exit I did and was under canopy in almost no time. I've now got just over 120 jumps in and still feel a little nervous jumping out the door first jump of the day, but put in a bunch of back to back jumps and it all goes away. Solo jumps suck and it is so much better jumping with others - also helps concentrating on other things. I've had a really bad spot, jumped with an alti that failed on me, had twists, turbulence and made a few stupid mistakes; but all ended well. I go through a rigid routine every time I turn up at the DZ and run through my emergency procedures without fail at the start of every day - not just in my mind, but doing the physical movements to ensure I build the all important muscle memory. I've now got my B-licence and am just starting this journey, but look forward to each and every jump. Get those consols out the way, work on getting your FS1 and CH and let the fun begin :)