gingergal

New from Ontario!

I have been reading here on and off over the last month, so I thought it was time to sign up and introduce myself!

My first tandem jump was a birthday gift to myself. I could not convince any friends to go with me, so I finally decided to call and go on my own! I was not expecting to love it so much, I guess I am addicted!

I have done 3 tandem jumps, but the season is pretty much over here for students, so I was advised to start the AFP (I think that’s the correct Canadian acronym) in the spring. I can’t wait! I was very happy with the instructors feedback and look forward to learning more. Someone was telling me about checking out the tunnel, which I probably will as I have one close to my house. It is going to suck waiting all winter, how do you all do it? hah

Umm a bit more about me, I have been working in customs and recently got accepted into a post-grad certificate program. I hope to change careers while I have the time in my 20s. I have a horse and love back country camping.

Cheers

Welcome to the forums! :)As far as how people make it through the winter, I can't relate because I live in Florida. Our "season" is just starting. It's finally just warm instead of blazing hot!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm a whuufo but do love the tunnel.

Learn the discount systems of the tunnel you're close to and possibly save a lot of money.

When I began in the tunnel (age 65+) I noticed the shoulders took a beating at the 1st overnight camp and exercised to build them up. Made a world of difference at the second 30 minute overnite camp I attended to do 12- 2 1/2 minute flights with an hour break between the 6th and 7th flights.

After 15 minutes in the tunnel my belly flying became relatively stable enough to move on to turns, ascent and descent - basically the light bulb went on - plus I had a great coach (Benji) at iFLY Orlando.

First I would recommend exercises to somewhat build up the upper body (e.g. regular pushups and arms spread wide style 10-20 of each will have u ready) plus flexibility exercises to stretch shoulders, hip flexors (google for this) and back (cobra stance - yoga) so as to be able to arch well whether in the tunnel or actual freefall. Believe it or not arching involves all three areas (shoulders, backbone, and hip flexor muscles that run thru the hips.)

Checking iFLY San Fransisco tutorials on indoor skydiving on youtube will help also - I know they helped me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjVKGF6Sc6c

Oh, and like Skymama said the tunnel is as addictive as skydiving and I would add maybe more so but in a good way.

Good Luck.

Thank both of you for the kind responses!

Skymama I wish I was in florida, I could also avoid shovelling feet of snow all winter.

wan2doit Thanks for all the tips! I found the day after a jump that my hip flexors were fairly sore. I guess flexibility exercises would be perfect for me. I will look more into the tunnel!