Kingsixx

Hello From Upstate NY

Hey guys, just wanted to do a quick intro. Chris, 36 from upstate NY. Recently I traveled to Nevada for some work related training. After work was over, I extended my stay a bit and decided to do a tandem jump. I visited the guys at Vegas Extreme Skydiving. The experience both in the air and on the ground was phenomenal.

These guys sensed that I had more than just a "bucket list" interest in jumping so they took the time to explain the gear/equipment to me and how it worked and they have me do some training maneuvers while in free fall and under canopy. Needless to say, one jump turned into 3 jumps over the course of the weekend. I can't say enough good things about the staff at Vegas Extreme, especially my TI Kevin. Great people there creating a great atmosphere.

Now I'm back in NY and I have the itch. I'm looking to get into AFF so that I can earn my A license. I live about 20 minutes from a place called Skydive The Ranch. Has anyone heard anything about these guys? Is it a good DZ to train and learn at?

I'm not looking to buy much equipment right now but I would like to get my own altimeter and helmet. Any recommendations? Not looking for anything fancy, just reliable lol. I already have a logbook courtesy of Vegas Extreme.

Aside from that, thanks for having me and I'll be doing a lot of reading during the next several weeks trying to absorb as much as I can.

Thanks,
Chris

Where in Upstate NY are you? Finger Lakes Skydivers is in Ovid, near Syracuse. Frontier Skydivers is in the Buffalo-Niagara Falls area. I think there's a third one up there closer to Rochester, too.
The Ranch is great, but it's more downstate in Gardiner, near Poughkeepsie.

Andy9o8

Where in Upstate NY are you? Finger Lakes Skydivers is in Ovid, near Syracuse. Frontier Skydivers is in the Buffalo-Niagara Falls area. I think there's a third one up there closer to Rochester, too.
The Ranch is great, but it's more downstate in Gardiner, near Poughkeepsie.

I'm sorry, by "upstate" I meant Dutchess County. Pleasant Valley to be exact.

Damn !!! [:/]
I WISH I lived 20 miles from The Ranch......[:/]
You're Lucky...
A Fine Place....Great facilities, Excellent Staff All around.... nice people, nice landing area,
Niiice airplanesB|.

I happily drive 320 miles to visit there....
.....would drive 500 ;)

hahahahaha As a Son of the Hudson Valley... (Town of Brewster ) I try to get "downstate " ( where You actually live ) ;)
as often as possible, from Upstate ( Rochester ) where I Actually live :SB|:)
Good luck in your jumping progression...(p.s. you can Kiss that savings account... Good Bye !!! ) :o;)

jmy

Andy9o8

LoL its funny to us upstaters how downstaters call anything that isn't NYC or Long Island "upstate."

Pfft. Anything north of the Tappan Zee is "Upstate." Isn't it?

And to the OP: The Ranch is a great place. Just watch out for the guy that they call "Sonic."
He just ain't right. :)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hi Chris

Upstate NY:)
The first thing I think of is, Attica or Sing Sing. ;)

20 minutes from The Ranch, your a lucky man. The skydivers information manual is available online from the USPA websight for free. I suggest you start reading it ASAP.

Enjoy the journey, don't drink the Kool aid.:P

R.I.P.
Da Bronx 1947 to 1966.:)

One Jump Wonder

Krip

Hi Chris

Upstate NY:)
The first thing I think of is, Attica or Sing Sing. ;)

20 minutes from The Ranch, your a lucky man. The skydivers information manual is available online from the USPA websight for free. I suggest you start reading it ASAP.

Enjoy the journey, don't drink the Kool aid.:P

R.I.P.
Da Bronx 1947 to 1966.:)

Funny that you mention this. I just got a package in the mail from the USPA. I purchased a hard copy of the SIM and received it today. Can't wait to crack it open.

As far as the upstate thing goes, cut me some slack lol... I've heard people from Manhattan/Brooklyn refer to Yonkers/Westchester as being upstate. Guess it depends on who you ask lol.

I'm gonna have to call The Ranch to find out what there schedule is like. I heard that things start to wind down there around this time of year.

Hi king

Growing up in the Bronx everything south of us was downtown. I heard the people refer to Manhattan as the city. We commuted to H.S. from Da Bronx to Brooklyn, always referred to the subway even when it came out of the tunnel at Yankee stadium, and the track went elevated aka the L. It was the subway.

Saw some very funny stuff riding the subway 10 hrs a week for 4 yrs.

Since you live so close to the ranch, I'd like to suggest if you hear the planes flying
Or just a nice weekend day. Just drop by and check it out. No charge to look.;)

There's people coming way up their from Da Bronx, and all over the NYC, Jersey, and who knows where else. Or how long it take them to get there[:/]

How many different languages do you speak? :D

Full disclosure I've never been there. But see the solid blue bar at the top of the page there's a solid blue bar, click on the dropzone part and it will lead you to the ranch, their websight, all the good stuff, including reviews from other jumpers.

Enjoy you lucky dude:)

One Jump Wonder

Welcome to the Forums! I used to live in Upstate NY but closer to Buffalo, Rochester area lol before I moved to NC. Made many jumps at WNY Skydiving. I have visited the Ranch but weather wasn't in my favor so I haven't jumped there. You will find a friendly staff and people there. I recently jumped with many people from the Ranch but down at Skydive Carolina. I thought they were very friendly.

You can try and get some jumps in but weather is going to be the main drawback this time of year in NY. You might be wise to plan a trip and knock out your AFF training and even some of your coach jumps as you work towards earing the A either down in FL or AZ. Z-hills does a great job with training and runs lots of Otters so will be easy to get full altitude jumps and proper training in. Eloy in AZ has a huge fleet of all sorts of planes. They also have Axis flight school on hand and even have their own wind tunnel, which can help you learn a lot before making more jumps.

You picked a great sport and culture to be part of! Ask the instructors lots of questions. Once you earn your license and then additional licenses it becomes even more addicting and traveling with your own rig is a blast :) Great way to see the world and meet new friends.

Cheers

I jump quiet frequently at the ranch. Great place with a club vibe and good parties. Lot's of us stay there for the weekend in the tents. If you are that close just come by and talk to the people. The instructors are very professional and great guys.

I will try to get a few jumps in this weekend, hopefully the weather stays good.

Marcus