xeroFokus

Hello from Indiana!

Hi! I'm Michael, from Indiana USA.

A little about me:

I have 3 children (all little girls; 4, 6 & 7) and absolutely love to be outdoors with them whenever the weather dictates. We keep very busy and do our fair share of traveling, though most of that is limited to within the state our the mid-west region. Love to camp, hike and "explore."

I'm a metal fabricator (try to be) that works from my garage. Have some cool tools and some free time so I get to have quite a bit of fun. I mainly make custom scooter/motorcycle parts but from time to time get myself involved in some Jeep/offroad projects.

Jumping out of a plane is something that has always sounded like an amazing time to me. I'm a little concerned that I may be a little too old to get into it at 30. It seems that the majority of people I talk to started in their early 20s.

At any rate, I went to Middletown, OH a week ago and did a tandem to see if it triggered a desire to get into the sport. HOLY #$*&! Being up in the air was amazing! The free fall was like nothing I've ever felt before! Now, I'm feeling like I HAVE to get into this.

Once I got home I started my research and found this forum along the way. I'll do my best to search first, but I'm sure there will be plenty of noob questions from me. Apologies in advance! :D

I would like to find someone local to me that I could talk with and could help my knowledge grow within the sport. I'm ready to start the journey towards getting my A license.

[waves]
My website:
BOSSruckus.com
Instagram:
XeroFokus

Do be sure to investigate wind tunnels too. I've got a home based metal fab shop too - rare coincidence.

I am a whuffo but did find tunnel flying at age 65+ and am eating all of it I can but it can bite back when gettin' ahead of ones self in learning how to fly like a bird.

Have a ball and be real careful.

jumpsalot-2

Glad you had fun on your tandem jump. You're not too old to become a regular jumper. I started at 37 and have 1800 jumps now. Good luck in your adventure.

Thank you! Looking at it now, I'm finding lots of people that get started closer to my age than I had thought! That get's me that much more excited :)

wan2doit

Do be sure to investigate wind tunnels too. I've got a home based metal fab shop too - rare coincidence.

I am a whuffo but did find tunnel flying at age 65+ and am eating all of it I can but it can bite back when gettin' ahead of ones self in learning how to fly like a bird.

Have a ball and be real careful.

Awesome! What kind of work are you into? My market is mainly the Honda Ruckus scooter scene. Most of my stuff revolves around my cnc plas table.

I saw a guy on here posting about splitting the cost of some tunnel time up in Chicago. I'll probably look into that, as long as our times will mesh up.

DustyP

Where you at? I'm in Indy!

I'm in Muncie! What part of Indy are you in?

skymama

Welcome to the forums! :)

Thank you for the welcome! I'm ready to get started!
My website:
BOSSruckus.com
Instagram:
XeroFokus

xeroFokus

***Westside. I jump down at Jerry's Skydiving Circus. Check us out.

I've heard of that place. How often are you out there?

As often as I can, but not nearly enough. Couple times a month, slowly getting back into it, wife and I just had a baby.

My shop is/was a small scale general fab shop - shear, punch, form, rollform ,weld, at first then branched out into brokering short run stampings. Semi retired from it now but still doing brokering since it is much less physically taxing.

Now I'm a proud respectful whuffo but I do believe 15 minutes in the tunnel will help a lot to prevent picking up any bad free fall habits from day one. The tunnel magnifies body flight problems so you know what to correct so as to maintain basic bodyflight control better in the sky or tunnel.

DustyP

As often as I can, but not nearly enough. Couple times a month, slowly getting back into it, wife and I just had a baby.

Awesome! Congratulations! I sent you a pm with my contact info. Get at me the next time you're going to go jump. I'd like to check the place out.

wan2doit

Now I'm a proud respectful whuffo but I do believe 15 minutes in the tunnel will help a lot to prevent picking up any bad free fall habits from day one. The tunnel magnifies body flight problems so you know what to correct so as to maintain basic bodyflight control better in the sky or tunnel.

Cool! I've contacted a couple guys about heading up to Chicago sometime. Maybe if there are enough of us, the price won't be too bad...

I'm guessing this is the worst time of year I could have possibly picked up interest in the sport. When it comes to info that is learned in the first few aff jumps, is there a whole lot that I could "forget" with a 3-4 month hiatus due to the winter season? My thoughts were: go ahead and start my aff jumps before bad weather and pick up at the beginning of next season. Has anyone found that to be a bad way to do things?
My website:
BOSSruckus.com
Instagram:
XeroFokus

xeroFokus

I'm guessing this is the worst time of year I could have possibly picked up interest in the sport. When it comes to info that is learned in the first few aff jumps, is there a whole lot that I could "forget" with a 3-4 month hiatus due to the winter season? My thoughts were: go ahead and start my aff jumps before bad weather and pick up at the beginning of next season. Has anyone found that to be a bad way to do things?

You will have to repeat a level if there is a layoff. It's not as much "forgetting" as losing currency. Being current is important in this sport. For experienced jumpers as well as students.
You will probably have to repeat a level or two no matter what.
All the jumps count towards your license.

Go jump. Get as many as you can before winter shuts you down.

Spend the winter going over what you learned.

Goofing off on here is also a good way to waste invest time during winter. Just be careful about taking advice about training from here. Some of the info is good, some is excellent, some is pure and unadulterated shit.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo