Tela

Greetings from the NH/ME line

Well one year and two days after my first tandem I finally got my first jump done. I spent the year listening and learning (and saving up) and did it. I knew my first big stumbling block was going to be the door, but I did way better than anticipated controlling the fear. My exit was lousy and I had multiple body position problems in the air. I need to build up some muscle memory for my arms and legs to help with that. Fortunately my instructors gave me tips and ways to practice before my next jump. I'll be redoing level one. Usually I'd be pissed at myself about failing something, but I'm totally fine with this "failure". I know what I did wrong and now I can work on fixing it.

I was shocked how fast freefall went by. Brain overload made 13,500 to 8,000 seem like it only took 2 seconds. Once I hit 8K my brain caught up and I was able to think again. Locked on at 7K and waved off with a clean pull @6. The canopy ride was smooth and I had a clean soft PLF on a no wind landing.

If you're lurking and getting ready for your first jump (like I did), the biggest thing I can say to add to what your instructors have told you is that it happens fast. Don't think you have time between COA and Practice touches, you don't. Do them back to back and have have fun.

Hoping to get back up on Friday and get level 1 and maybe even level 2 done. Blue skies Y'all and if you're in New England, Skydive New England is an awesome place to jump. Great staff, top notch instructors, and a totally awesome vibe.
"The lizards were a race of people practically extinct from doing things smart people don't do."

Tela

Well one year and two days after my first tandem I finally got my first jump done. I spent the year listening and learning (and saving up) and did it. I knew my first big stumbling block was going to be the door, but I did way better than anticipated controlling the fear. My exit was lousy and I had multiple body position problems in the air. I need to build up some muscle memory for my arms and legs to help with that. Fortunately my instructors gave me tips and ways to practice before my next jump. I'll be redoing level one. Usually I'd be pissed at myself about failing something, but I'm totally fine with this "failure". I know what I did wrong and now I can work on fixing it.

I was shocked how fast freefall went by. Brain overload made 13,500 to 8,000 seem like it only took 2 seconds. Once I hit 8K my brain caught up and I was able to think again. Locked on at 7K and waved off with a clean pull @6. The canopy ride was smooth and I had a clean soft PLF on a no wind landing.

If you're lurking and getting ready for your first jump (like I did), the biggest thing I can say to add to what your instructors have told you is that it happens fast. Don't think you have time between COA and Practice touches, you don't. Do them back to back and have have fun.

Hoping to get back up on Friday and get level 1 and maybe even level 2 done. Blue skies Y'all and if you're in New England, Skydive New England is an awesome place to jump. Great staff, top notch instructors, and a totally awesome vibe.

Welcome to the sport and the forum.

Did you have body position issues all the way to your deployment altitude? It sounds like you did fairly well. At least you pulled for yourself.

Advancement requirements (freefall part)
• reasonable arch and
stability within ten seconds prior to
planned deployment altitude
• reasonable altitude awareness
• initiate deployment procedures within
1,000 feet of the assigned altitude
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I did a solid exit count. Then looked down as I exited causing a reverse arch and instantly realized it and went "superman", arms out legs straight. Recovered somewhat and then didn't respond to the legs out signal as they curled up to 90 degrees. Had both instructors with hands in my face and thought I was moving my legs, they weren't listening (my legs that is). Main side instructor had to start my practice pulls, assist on the second, I nailed the 3rd practice pull. I didn't correct my legs and arms stated well forward. I locked on @ 7,200 and waved off and pulled on time at 6K. The pull felt smooth and great.
Once in ff there was no fear. My mind just couldn't catch up to my fat ass until 8K. My main side instructor said it was because I was all amped up and that would get easier with each jump. Even typing about it I start to vibrate with eagerness to get back up and do better.
Gotta jump to learn and learn to jump.
See y'all in the sky. I'll be the one yelling "look up,legs out, look up, arch, look up, legs out" with a shit eating grin from ear to ear.
"The lizards were a race of people practically extinct from doing things smart people don't do."

"Jewell of Wilson's foul domain" it's what we named my current pooch. A reminder of the simple joys of life and staying relaxed and alert.

Second try I Nailed it!! Well, the ff part, made a dumb mistake on my downwind and ended up joining the Arborists club via a 10' scrub birch. Tweaked my back a little but nothing ice, stretching and a visit to the chiropractor won't fix in a day or two.
I was able to keep my brain inside my skull for the whole jump and was way more mindful of my head on exit and my legs the whole time. In my instructors words it was a "boring skydive". ;) We spent more time just falling belly down and enjoying the view than anything.
Spent the rest of the day debriefing with coaches and friends (since I wasn't going back up with a balky back) to go over my decision making, what I did right and wrong. Heading to the tunnel tomorrow to prep for the next few levels and develop some muscle memory. The sign as you drive into the DZ is so true: "Welcome to your new Addiction"

Blue Skys y'all and here's to learning something new on every jump.

Good to hear! (Well, not about the sore back part!) I'm sure you will get better on your canopy pattern just as you got better in the air. It sounds like you have determination!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Made it back up for levels 2 and 3 the weekend after getting personal with that tree. Exits keep getting better and the nerves come later and later in the climb to altitude. I found out just how much thermals can mess with you when you've got a 300 overhead. I was floating at 4K for a solid 45 seconds and had to turn a 360 to start descending again. Both jumps went great and I'm really starting to feel the proper body position and notice when I'm not right.

Level 2 exit I kicked my feet going out the door, but got stable pretty fast and only had small hand signals to correct body position. I made my turns as clean as one can hope with 2 anchors holding on. My 1/2 hour in the tunnel made that so much easier. I loved the feeling of straightening out my legs and getting the forward push. Flew a good pattern with minimal radio assistance. Was ready to PLF the landing when my feet slid out from under me on the wet grass (early load and the grass still had dew on it) and ended up sliding in on my butt. Had a good debrief and loaded up to do level 3.

My exit keeps getting easier. I almost didn't kick at all this time on exit. Was able to get stable fast and only had 1 signal to respond to, my arms just want to slide forward, but less each time. I dropped my left elbow on my practice pull and have been working on that on the ground. Arched hard to get stable then my instructors let go. It took me a few seconds to realize they were hands off. What a confidence boost that was. Maintained it until just before pull time when I think I dropped a knee a tiny bit and started to turn. My instructors had already moved back in and just lightly grabbed on as I pulled. Almost no radio chatter this time and I was deliberate and planned in all my moves. Flared a little to fast on final but still thought I was going to run it out until I tripped on a rock and ended up sliding in and tweaking an ankle.

Had to take some time off to finish letting the back heal (and ankle now) and get some work done in the real world. Heading back next week for level 4 and beyond. My boss is usually a real hard ass but he's letting me take an extra day off to jump when I get back from a family camping trip on Sunday.

Sometimes it's good to be self-employed. ;)

Thanks for the update! I'm so glad your Boss sees the importance of you finishing AFF while you have some momentum going. ;)

because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Finally cleared for solo's!!! Had to redo my level 4 and level 5 took three tries, but once I got past that I had figured it out. Lots still to work on, but what a great feeling it was to jump without an instructor and having to pass a level. Longest ff of my life. Clean diving exit, followed by a backflip, 2 360's and some forward movement and I was still at 9K.

This weekend begins the coach jumps that my friends have been waiting to take me on all summer and I couldn't be more stoked. It looks like I'll actually be able to get my A done before the snow flies. Yipeeeeee

Good job! Way to hang in there and get it done! I hope you have a great time jumping with your friends now. Keep learning!

Figured I should come back and put the end cap on this thread. I did my check dive yesterday and an now an officially licensed skydiver. In the end it took me about 4 1/2 months to get it all done. Those of you who are reading this while your going through AFF, show some patience. You'll learn a lot in the air, it gets easier and that's when it starts to get really fun.
That said you can learn a shit load more on the ground. Talk with the experienced jumpers. Listen to them chat to one another. Pick peoples brains when you're on a weather hold. I have learned so much about canopy flying while on the ground that I've been able to avoid puddles and trees and land near my target almost every jump.
Huge thanks to all those at SNE who've helped me out this year.
Be safe y'all and Blue Skies