bmoore21184

broken reserve seal

Hajo

Just thinking about that scenario:
the rigger inspects it and repacks it on monday, placing his seal on that.
The guy jumps his rig on tuesday, has to cutaway and uses his reserve, then packs it himself or gets a packjob from someone (just in case).
no DZO would let him jump that on the same DZ, right?
So he shows up at a different DZ and says: "broken seal? hey, what´s the problem? It has a repack done on monday, so what?."
calling the rigger will not prove that it is his packjob..

around where I jump, my opinion is that anyone who can manage to close a reserve and make it look legit has a rigger rating.
Skydivers are mostly lazy enough, and generally not equipped to close a reserve decently.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

and what happens in case the thread breaks, say 2 days after repacking ? With the jumper being in a complete other place than the rigger ? Would you ask him for a new repack ?

Yes , If I was the DZ rigger that had inspected the rig prior to use at the "new" DZ.

What would YOU do with a custumer who comes back to you saying the seal you placed on his rig was broken (for any reason) ?

I would do the same thing that I have always done.
If it was found that the owner broke the seal by doing something stupid like pushing a main tuck tab under the reserve flap and breaking the seal, I would charge him for a new repack.

If it was found that it was my fault by a bad install or whatever, I would give him a new repack on me.

With the above policy being used for years, I can't remember the last seal of mine that was broken during service.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

piisfish

around where I jump, my opinion is that anyone who can manage to close a reserve and make it look legit has a rigger rating.
Skydivers are mostly lazy enough, and generally not equipped to close a reserve decently.

if it is packed by a rigger, problem solved.
lazy enough? you know what skydivers do to "save" money for repacks or if they are eager to jump on the next day.. ;-)
(I give that to my rigger next weekend ...)

stuffing material into the container with "a little help by your friends" isn´t that complicated..
the smart guys don´t do that, the stupid guys do everything ...
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

That reminds me of an incident at Perris Valley, California around the turn of the century.
(FAA Senior Rigger) "Dead Ted" was accused of packing a damaged Phantom reserve into a Mirage container with cracked stiffeners. Ted's signature was the last on the card. However, Ted denied recently repacking that reserve and it was not (recently) recorded in his rigger's logbook.

A review of documents revealed that Ted was the last rigger who had packed that reserve, but it was years earlier. An investigation (by the local FAA DPRE) revealed that the owner deployed his Phantom, repacked the (damaged) reserve himself and forged Ted's signature on the card.

Ted was absolved of any wrong-doing.

The owner was fined $500 by the FAA because he forged a signature. The FAA fined the owner because this was the third time they caught the owner forging signatures.