bmoore21184

broken reserve seal

It really depends on who is checking. If you follow the letter of the law, the FAA in this case, you are busted. If you can stop by and see the rigger who packed it and see if he will reseal it. It is his call.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

It really depends on who is checking. If you follow the letter of the law, the FAA in this case, you are busted. If you can stop by and see the rigger who packed it and see if he will reseal it. It is his call.
Sparky

Is there a FAR that says it has to be sealed? The FAR says it has to be repacked.

Sec. 105.43 Use of single-harness, dual-parachute systems

No person may conduct a parachute operation using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, unless that system has at least one main parachute, one approved reserve parachute, and one approved single person harness and container that are packed as follows:

(a) The main parachute must have been packed within 120 days before the date of its use by a certificated parachute rigger, the person making the next jump with that parachute, or a non-certificated person under the direct supervision of a certificated parachute rigger.

(b) The reserve parachute must have been packed by a certificated parachute rigger-

(1) Within 120 days before the date of its use, if its canopy, shroud, and harness are composed exclusively of nylon, rayon, or similar synthetic fiber or material that is substantially resistant to damage from mold, mildew, and other fungi, and other rotting agents propagated in a moist environment; or

(2) Within 60 days before the date of its use, if it is composed of any amount of silk, pongee, or other natural fiber, or material not specified in paragraph (b)(1) of this section.

(c) If installed, the automatic activation device must be maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions for that automatic activation device.

When a mechanic performs maintenance on an airplane, he doesn't seal the engine shut. Why would this be any different? The mechanic makes the appropriate entries in the aircraft's logbooks, the same as a rigger makes the appropriate entry on your reserve data card and in his logbook.

The rigger has to follow the manufacturer's instructions. ihaven't found a manual yet that doesn't say to seal the reserve.

The only grey area is see is the FAR's don't specify if the reserve seal must be in place for the reserve to be 'legal'.

The seal is there for the rigger's and the jumper's protection.

Derek

When a mechanic performs maintenance on an airplane, he doesn't seal the engine shut. Why would this be any different? The mechanic makes the appropriate entries in the aircraft's logbooks, the same as a rigger makes the appropriate entry on your reserve data card and in his logbook.

See 65.133:
"Each certificated parachute rigger must have a seal with an identifying mark prescribed by the Administrator, and a seal press. After packing a parachute he shall seal the pack with his seal in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendation for that type of parachute."

The regulation does not specifically say that the rig must remain sealed, but that is, I think, assumed. Wire seals are also used by maintenance technicians working on airplanes, and a broken seal is a no fly item.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Is there a FAR that says it has to be sealed? The FAR says it has to be repacked.

Yes there is, see reply by Tombuch.

Because one is an airplane engine and the other is a parachute. Anther reason is thats the way the FAA says it will be.
Sparky

Wire seals are also used by maintenance technicians working on airplanes, and a broken seal is a no fly item.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Aircraft component overhaul shops seal some components (like pumps, or instruments or hydraulic cylinders) that are too complex/require too many special tools to be repaired in the field. There are also contractual issues such as if anyone outside of Goodyear adjusts a Goodyear hydraulic pump, then the warranty is no longer valid.

See 65.133:
"Each certificated parachute rigger must have a seal with an identifying mark prescribed by the Administrator, and a seal press. After packing a parachute he shall seal the pack with his seal in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendation for that type of parachute."

The regulation does not specifically say that the rig must remain sealed, but that is, I think, assumed. Wire seals are also used by maintenance technicians working on airplanes, and a broken seal is a no fly item.

Never assume anything when it comes to the law.

Is there a regulation to this effect?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If the seal is not in place, how would a non-rigger skydiver be able to prove their gear was air worthy? Any one could remove the seal and pencil whip themselves an in date reserve.

In addition it allows the skydiver to know that no one else has opened the reserve/ container since the rigger sealed it.

You don't have to assume the FAR implies anything. But if your gear doesn't have a seal, it's a short step to concluding the equiptment isn't in date.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

If the seal is not in place, how would a non-rigger skydiver be able to prove their gear was air worthy? Any one could remove the seal and pencil whip themselves an in date reserve.

In addition it allows the skydiver to know that no one else has opened the reserve/ container since the rigger sealed it.

You don't have to assume the FAR implies anything. But if your gear doesn't have a seal, it's a short step to concluding the equiptment isn't in date.

Ken

Well, for that matter anyone can make a seal if they really want to (I certainly could). I'm not sure that the seal "proves" anything at all.

And as someone already wrote, airplanes are shown to be in compliance from their logs. Well, my rig has a log, signed by the rigger. My plane has lots of wired fasteners on it, but none of them are seals.

The question remains, is it actually illegal to remove a seal or to jump a rig that has no seal but is otherwise in compliance with the FARs?

The question remains, is it actually illegal to remove a seal or to jump a rig that has no seal but is otherwise in compliance with the FARs?

Well, the FAR's aren't specific on the matter, so w/o an official ruling from the FAA, the question will remain.

I imagine that if an FAA inspector inspected a rig that didn't have a seal, he probably would determine that the rig wasn't airworthy, since the seal wasn't in place and there is no way to prove that it ever was in place and came off. All they see is that it was supposed to have been sealed and wasn't.

Derek

Without the seal being intact, how do you tell if the rig is "otherwise in compliance with the FAR's.
Contact your local FISDO office and ask for an opinion on the question. Thats what I did.

From what I remember about previous discussions, to be rendered in-date, as long as the pack data card has a repack listed (and is in date), and one can contact the rigger, and the rigger certifys that it is his repack, then it should pass muster. Some DZs I have been to will put forth the effort to call, but most won't (as far as I have seen).

The seal is basically two fold. 1) To allow a jumper to ensure that nothing has been done to his reserve. and 2) for a rigger to certify that it is, in fact, still his packjob, and not field repacked.

As soon as the seal is broken, both of those things are in question.

Again, this is just what came to mind, and certainly could be wrong.

j

Without the seal being intact, how do you tell if the rig is "otherwise in compliance with the FAR's.
Contact your local FISDO office and ask for an opinion on the question. Thats what I did.

How do you tell if a seal is genuine when it would be almost trivially easy for anyone with any handicraft ability to re-use an old one or even fabricate one for yourself? I don't see the presence of a seal proving anything at all.

How do you tell if a seal is genuine when it would be almost trivially easy for anyone with any handicraft ability to re-use an old one or even fabricate one for yourself? I don't see the presence of a seal proving anything at all.

I don't see how you could, once broken, re-use a seal on a reserve I packed. That would be a neat trick though. And if you could, by the time you went through all that effort, it would have been easier to get me to replace the seal or get the reserve re-packed.

Do you have a better idea than the current lead seal and seal thread on the reserve ripcord?

Derek

You cross-check it with the rigger's log-book.

What I was getting at was, the rigger's number and seal symbol, being listed on the packing data card has to match the seal. That's one reason, I use a stamp for my number and seal symbol. I suppose, if the rig is at a DZ, several states away from the rigger who packed it, a simple phone call to the rigger would work.

Whats your point, or do you have one.

Sure it is possible for a forger to buy a seal press, red thread and a bag of lead seals. Then press a fake new lead seal on a reserve ...., BUT .... most forgers are lazy and cheap.

And besides, every time my name appears on a packing data card, I pocket $80. I don't care if my signature is genuine or forged, because every time my signature appears on a reserve card, I get paid.

Found it interesting even though its a 12 year old thread. Anyway I agree from a previous post that there is nothing that says the seal must remain on though everyone thinks it must, including Riggers.

The suggestion that a call to the FAA for clarification simply gets an opinion from an employee and does not constitute a clear and absolute FAR.

It was the practice when I got my rating in the early 70's and even a suggestion from the FAA Examiner that I use a pliers to smash a lead seal on a repack and then scratch my code into the seal until my press arrived.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Found it interesting even though its a 12 year old thread. Anyway I agree from a previous post that there is nothing that says the seal must remain on though everyone thinks it must, including Riggers.

You've got to be kidding!!!B|

Why do you think that it states that in the FAR's that it has to be installed in the first place? It is meant to serve a purpose. It is not just an ornate piece that was meant to be removed 5 minutes after the pack job..

Come on people, use some common sense FCOL!

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

and what happens in case the thread breaks, say 2 days after repacking ? With the jumper being in a complete other place than the rigger ? Would you ask him for a new repack ?

What would YOU do with a custumer who comes back to you saying the seal you placed on his rig was broken (for any reason) ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

jmfreefly

From what I remember about previous discussions, to be rendered in-date, as long as the pack data card has a repack listed (and is in date), and one can contact the rigger, and the rigger certifys that it is his repack, then it should pass muster. Some DZs I have been to will put forth the effort to call, but most won't (as far as I have seen).
j

Just thinking about that scenario:
the rigger inspects it and repacks it on monday, placing his seal on that.
The guy jumps his rig on tuesday, has to cutaway and uses his reserve, then packs it himself or gets a packjob from someone (just in case).
no DZO would let him jump that on the same DZ, right?
So he shows up at a different DZ and says: "broken seal? hey, what´s the problem? It has a repack done on monday, so what?."
calling the rigger will not prove that it is his packjob..

So in my opinion it is the method for DZOs to check who has packed the reserve and just imagine that the next jump would end up in a fatality. who has to take over rensponsibility?
All eyes on the guy who filled out the packing card ...
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well