fiflyin

Exited and nervous noob from New Zealand

Hey everyone :)

I've been lurking like a dz stalker for long enough, thought I should say introduce myself :)
My skydiving journey so far. I've done 3 tandems and next in line is AFF. Hopefully starting that in the next couple of weeks. My sisters, aunt and I first went at new years. My first time was not actually all that flash. I was way more scared than I thought I would be, my ears hurt like crazy, I had an brain freeze headache from cold wind getting under my helmet, and the free fall was FULL ON! Canopy ride was awesome, but I spent half of it recovering from free fall and by the time I got down I felt a bit like someone had slammed me between the eyes with a sledgehammer lol! :S Not at all yahooooing like I had expected it to be. Do you think that stopped me becoming completely obsessed with it? No. Not it did not :)
2nd tandem was just amaaaayzing! WOW I was sooooo scared getting to that door, only thing running through my brain at that point was ohmigoddddd! But once I was out and stabilised (those first few seconds, wheeewww, thats a scary weird feeling), it was incredible. So much better, ears didn't hurt as much, and it was just such a blast! Couldn't wipe the smile of my face for weeks!

Just had my third last week, fear levels were better this time, thank god for that! Though I was still more scared than I thought I would be. Must be the whole throwing yourself out of a plane thing. Who knew ;) But oh, its so amazing! Just as incredible and the moment your out of that plane....pooof. The fear is just gone!

Next on to AFF. So exited!!!! But also really quite scared too! Its great that my fear vanishes when I go out the door, but it may be a whole new ball game when I have do it all myself. Hopefully I'll keep a clear head! Same worry as most people I guess! And flying (and more importantly landing) that canopy. YIKES! The first jump is a tandem and man those things are heavy!

Anyway, this turned into a bit of a novel, sorry! I could talk about this forever. So exited to be a part of this incredible sport and looking forward to becoming part of this amazing community :)
Cheers
Fiona

Thanks for your story :)
All the best for your journey. The door monster is something everyone had to fight, it goes away with time. Don't give up! B|

Ironically speaking, I've heard another guy say at the DZ that exits are pretty safe. You've got plenty of time to stabalize yourself.