dkvkb

A follow up to my "so this is why I am apprehensive" post

I passed Levels 1 & 2!!

After all my talk about "not sure I can do it", "scared to death", etc., and after all of the encouragement here, I thought I should post my success story. I did it and loved it!! I think a key factor, other than the support on this forum (STILL laughing at mattjw916's post), is finding a good DZ, listening to the instructors, and learning all you can about the sport. The First Jump Course helped calm most of my fears for the Level 1 jump.

So, here is my Level 1 jump: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qpoFxB4X6Y&feature=share&list=UU-eqoP4U03Ev-w3oAqboIZw

Obviously, I've got some major work ahead of me, but I'm so looking forward to it and hoping to do my Level 3 & 4 this weekend!

Thanks! I'm still wondering why I couldn't find the handle, because I have been able to locate with no problems in the past and on the ground I go right to it. The only thing I can think of is that on the three tandems where I pulled, the handle was waaaay back there. That's my excuse, anyway. Definitely have to work on that one!

dkvkb

Thanks! I'm still wondering why I couldn't find the handle, because I have been able to locate with no problems in the past and on the ground I go right to it. The only thing I can think of is that on the three tandems where I pulled, the handle was waaaay back there. That's my excuse, anyway. Definitely have to work on that one!

Solid work and keep us posted :)
You are not the contents of your wallet.

dkvkb

Thanks! I'm still wondering why I couldn't find the handle, because I have been able to locate with no problems in the past and on the ground I go right to it.

I got told to put my hand on my bum cheek then twist my hand up to the bottom of the container and the toggle would be right there. Might be worth a try next time on your practice touch

Congratulations on passing the first 2 levels B|
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

dkvkb

The rig moves on your back quite a lot when your falling, compared to when you're standing and/or sitting. Especially student rigs, that never have a perfect fit.
That's why a lot of times you end up touching your leg straps instead of the PC handle: you arch hard, your rig moves up and it is higher than your muscle memory remembers. Nothing really to worry about, you'll figure out. If you have doubts, keep reminding your AFF-I that you're not 100% sure about it and that you still want to do 3 practice touches when leaving the airplane, which you have to do anyway in the first few jumps, but then they become 2, then 1, then 0, if you still can't have a solid good muscle memory to the handle, ask to to them every jump. Don't just do them when your instructor is there, as s/he might think you're about to pull and you will freak him/her out, but as long as you tell them before hand, it's all good.

The advice to go from your bum to your handle is good.

I personally do the opposite, I go to the extreme corner of the rig, which is easy to find without looking, then move the hand a couple of inches lower, and there it is.

It's all muscle memory, so there isn't really a "best" way, whatever works for you. But don't worry too much right now, it will come.

Oh, and how rude of me... WELCOME! B|
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Great advice! And I like the idea of being able to do more practice touches. I will definitely ask my instructor about that. Sure am hoping I get to go this weekend. I would really like to complete my AFF before the weather gets too bad. Or better yet, my A license:)

dkvkb

Great advice! And I like the idea of being able to do more practice touches. I will definitely ask my instructor about that. Sure am hoping I get to go this weekend. I would really like to complete my AFF before the weather gets too bad. Or better yet, my A license:)

You will. :)

Your body position is great, rock solid, and your attitude is even better. As for reaching the PC without hesitation, in another 5-10 jumps you'll be doing it without even thinking, just like you tie your shoes in the morning, and you'll even wonder what exactly was so hard about it. Enjoy the learning curve, I personally found it so totally rewarding! :P
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

dkvkb

Wow! Thank you! I like the whole "tie your shoes" idea. I can't wait to get to that point. I thought I was going to go this weekend, but I guess I'll have to wait another week. I feel like a very impatient kid at Christmas:)

Glad youre finding your place... you'll get there. Remember, in anything new there is a learning curve. It doesnt matter how fast you take it, just get to the top of it :)

So......I just passed Levels 3 & 4! Oh my gosh. I have come so far dealing with my fears. Level 3 was a bit of a challenge because it had been 3 weeks since my Level 2 jump, and all of those negative thoughts came back. But I did it and passed. Then on to Level 4. One instructor, and turns. Wow! It was so much fun and I was excited that I actually did it. I am feeling more comfortable flying the canopy with each jump. I still haven't landed on my feet, but I have landed safely each time. I can't wait to go back, and I'm going for it. Thanks again everyone!

Congratulations! It's a lot more fun when you get to start doing things. Levels 5-7 are a blast! It's hard to imagine that you'll go as far as they say you will in those few short jumps, but you do! From where you stand the objectives in the A checkout dive may seem impossible but by the time you get to that point, you'll find that you're ready for it.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I was constantly amazed at how the AFF progression seemed to match so well my readiness for each step (no matter how unready I thought I was). Those were some smart folks that invented AFF.

It really does keep getting better and better!
There ain't no devil, only God when he is drunk--Tom Waits

talkingfrog

I was constantly amazed at how the AFF progression seemed to match so well my readiness for each step (no matter how unready I thought I was). Those were some smart folks that invented AFF.

It really does keep getting better and better!

I've gone through levels 5 and 6 and can say honestly it does get better. My fear took over on 7 so now i'll be non-current to spring but... hey... I'm in no rush!

Glad to see you're up in the sky and having a good time! I've heard it gets easier but there is ALWAYS more to learn.