TheMan

Starting my AFF tomorrow

Hey whats up, I took a keen interest in skydiving and finally mustered up the courage and cash to begin my AFF courses.

I do my ground school tomorrow which will hopefully be followed by a AFF level 1 jump. If you guys have any tips to avoid failing any of the AFF levels I would greatly appreciate it.

Good luck!

The best thing you can do to pass each level is relax - very easy to say and almost impossible to do! Take slow deep breaths in the plane as you are climbing to altitude, and a very deep breath just before you jump, and SMILE! It generates a physiological response in the body which will help release some tension - it is much easier to arch when you are as physically relaxed as possible.

Go over the jump sequence in your head again and again and again (this will be covered fully in ground school - don't try to second-guess what they will teach you by asking on here, just be prepared to absorb the instructions). When you go over the sequence in your head, do the actions as well. You may want to tuck yourself into a corner for this because it will look a bit strange, but do it anyway! You want this to become as automatic as possible and the only way for that to happen is to practice as much as possible.

There is a thread elsewhere that talks about waiting until the day following ground school to do the first jump in order to let the instructions sink in. I was given the choice and couldn't decide but in the end the weather decided for me. I'm sure that helped because I had more time to practice the whole jump sequence and I could probably have done it in my sleep by the time I did get to jump, lol.

Each jump builds on the previous one, so it really is worth getting the sequence as fluid as possible.

And don't worry if you don't pass every level first time. It is a huge amount of information to take in, and requires a lot of coordination and management of the physical and physiological responses of your body, whilst overcoming sensory overload!

Have fun :)

A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

FlyingRhenquest

Don't forget to breathe. I'm pretty sure I did AFF 1-3 entirely without breathing. From, like, the moment I got on the plane...

hahaha ^^^ that!
I think I'm still doing the same

Best advice is don't worry about PASSING EVERY LEVEL THE FIRST TIME. There isnt a rush. Just do the dive flow the best you can every jump and realize if you have to repeat a level: so what? Its 25 to "A" anyhow. Take your time, don't rush, relax, and enjoy the jumps.

I tried to psych myself out by saying I would NOT fail any steps. I haven't yet but I still have 7 and my tracking... not so good. So if i repeat it there isnt a hardship, just more learning.

Talk to your instructors, LISTEN to your instructors, they will get you through it and You'll be great!

But as they all seem to remind me, its a sport for hippie stoners and yoga instructors.... its all breathe and relax, the rest will come, but you start there.

Enjoy the FJC, its a lot of fun and a LOT of info. Get a good night rest, and absorb EVERYTHING you can!
You are not the contents of your wallet.

DrDom

I tried to psych myself out by saying I would NOT fail any steps. I haven't yet but I still have 7 and my tracking... not so good. So if i repeat it there isnt a hardship, just more learning.

No one's tracking is any good at that point. You get better at tracking just like you get better at everything else -- practice! And you haven't had a chance to, yet!

Funnily enough I'll take newly licensed friends on tracking jumps and they'll go zooming past me. This despite them being mildly uncomfortable at the thought of tracking when I suggest it. Could just be you're not so good at tracking because you haven't really tried it that much. Once you get a good 20 second burn out the door of a plane, you might like it better. Once you get comfortable glancing up your arm at your altimeter so you don't have to stop tracking before you're ready to, you might like it better!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

No one's tracking is any good at that point. You get better at tracking just like you get better at everything else -- practice! And you haven't had a chance to, yet!

Funnily enough I'll take newly licensed friends on tracking jumps and they'll go zooming past me. This despite them being mildly uncomfortable at the thought of tracking when I suggest it. Could just be you're not so good at tracking because you haven't really tried it that much. Once you get a good 20 second burn out the door of a plane, you might like it better. Once you get comfortable glancing up your arm at your altimeter so you don't have to stop tracking before you're ready to, you might like it better!

Im not stressing it, more just saying if someone has to repeat a step do not despair! We all come out with skills in the end :)

TheMan

Hey whats up, I took a keen interest in skydiving and finally mustered up the courage and cash to begin my AFF courses.

I do my ground school tomorrow which will hopefully be followed by a AFF level 1 jump. If you guys have any tips to avoid failing any of the AFF levels I would greatly appreciate it.

What they said...

Ask your instuctors questions and make sure that you understand their answers fully. Mock up, mock up, mock up. Embrace your fear (especially of the door!) and enjoy it while it lasts ;)

DrDom

Im not stressing it, more just saying if someone has to repeat a step do not despair! We all come out with skills in the end :)

Its my wallet that will be in despair, those repeat courses are not cheap at all :( any repeats will cut into the budget I allocated for gear purchases later on.

So I did my ground school and unfortunately there was too much turbulence to allow me to jump in the afternoon. I guess I will have to wait till next week before I get to do the first jump!

Thanks for all the reply's from everyone, very encouraging.

TheMan

***Im not stressing it, more just saying if someone has to repeat a step do not despair! We all come out with skills in the end :)

Its my wallet that will be in despair, those repeat courses are not cheap at all :( any repeats will cut into the budget I allocated for gear purchases later on.

So I did my ground school and unfortunately there was too much turbulence to allow me to jump in the afternoon. I guess I will have to wait till next week before I get to do the first jump!

Thanks for all the reply's from everyone, very encouraging.

Then pay attention, ask the questions, and you'll be fine!

Relax, smile, and enjoy the ride!!! Dont worry about failing, your instructors know what they are doing, and have a lot of experience. Listen to their advice, and like I said, just have fun! In the end, that is all that really matters..
What is the point of life, if you don't live it?
To escape fear, you have to go through it, not around.

Try not to psych yourself out about having to pass every skill on the first try, and the cash involved. I know...I get it. I made it through my AFF jumps without a repeat, but have had to redo some coach jumps. (Luckily, they are a little...repeat a LITTLE less expensive than an AFF jump.) I realized I was freaking myself out about "flunking," and losing some of the fun of this learning process.

So now it's the end of the season for me, and I alllllmost made it to license. So I'll have some relearning to do in the spring...but that gives me time to save up some cash, spend some quality time with the SIM and come back next season ready to learn more. Every jump is a chance to learn.

frogerina

Try not to psych yourself out about having to pass every skill on the first try, and the cash involved. I know...I get it. I made it through my AFF jumps without a repeat, but have had to redo some coach jumps. (Luckily, they are a little...repeat a LITTLE less expensive than an AFF jump.) I realized I was freaking myself out about "flunking," and losing some of the fun of this learning process.

So now it's the end of the season for me, and I alllllmost made it to license. So I'll have some relearning to do in the spring...but that gives me time to save up some cash, spend some quality time with the SIM and come back next season ready to learn more. Every jump is a chance to learn.

I'm so jealous of all the people who have the option of winter jumps without substantial travel...