Barrelparty

Just finished ground school!

Hey Guys and Gals
Just wanted to write a quick note and introduce myself as well as thank everyone on the forum for their helpful insights. It makes my transition into the skydive world much easier. I just finished ground school at Cross Keys this weekend. Gearing up for my first solo jump, wooHoo. There is still an overwhelming amount of information I am trying to absorb. I have a 2 hour commute each day to work and the wifi is very spotty- was wondering if anyone has reading suggestions. I understand the best way to learn is by doing but I would like to fill the time between jumps with material to help get me more acclimated to the sport. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Bests

Barrelparty

Hey thanks!!:)I don't want to get to ahead of myself but I also want to feel confident and have the proper preparation before my solo. I get really bored on the train into my job so I will definitely take a look at your link.

Couple things coming from a fellow student (take with grain of salt, I'm not a pro).

I read my dive flows until I knew it in my sleep. Read the sections in the SIM that pertain to what you will do next. If you have a long train ride, you can even do some directed visualization of your jumps. Go through emergency procedures in your mind.

Race car drivers do it because practice is pricey; and it has been shown in studies to help. Don't overload too much, your instructors will make sure you know whats needed for the next jump. If you aren't sure, ask them! They are a wealth of knowledge.

Welcome to AFF. Its what in New England we call "Wicked Fun"
You are not the contents of your wallet.

I''l have to give it a shot, thanks for the feedback. Honestly I am pretty nervous about my first solo jump. I think going over it mentally before I go will help. I just need to sac up and take the plunge :D Reading the forums does help though- it's nice to know I'm not the only one feeling the emotions I do. DrDom have you jumped other states besides New England?

Barrelparty

I''l have to give it a shot, thanks for the feedback. Honestly I am pretty nervous about my first solo jump. I think going over it mentally before I go will help. I just need to sac up and take the plunge :D Reading the forums does help though- it's nice to know I'm not the only one feeling the emotions I do. DrDom have you jumped other states besides New England?

I'm still an AFF student myself and jumped only at SkyDive New England. They are a fantastic bunch of folks up there and helped me a lot. Its OK to be nervous, admittedly I am still occasionally nervous. I went to level 4 terrified but once I landed I was ecstatic. 5 and 6 I damn near ran to the plane (and a Cessna at that!). I still have not done 7 because my nerves got the better of me today... and I'm still not sure why and I'm half tempted to go back, I think just some personal issues were distracting me and I feel a lot of pressure to nail every level as best I can. It wasn't even fear of injury, it was just anxiety and worry about performance.

If it helps, remember you aren't "alone" in the sky for Level 1 and 2 (and sometimes 3). You have two wonderful and highly trained instructors with you. Trust in their skills and knowledge, ask the questions, and realize a lot of people are out there jumping every day and just fine. If it were COMPLETELY safe, everyone would do it. But you also have to realize its no longer particularly dangerous. But let other people it is, makes you seem even MORE badass than your existing badassery :D
You are not the contents of your wallet.