MichaelAnthony

Im a WIMP!

Boomerdog

Now go do it and don't look back!

This same advice was given to me from the same person with awesome results :)

I'm 35, married, job... and all I could do was think of the "what ifs". I drove myself nuts. So I did a tandem with a friend, and felt like it was "OK", but something... something kept pulling me back.

I did FJC and we were weathered out. I though I'd never go back. Seriously. Considered not going. I'm a big chicken. I cant get on ladders. I get nervous standing on the counters to get to the top of the cupboards. I work in a Trauma Center.

Then, there I was with Jacqueline and Meghan in the door of a Twin Otter on a Thursday afternoon. Meghan reminding me "Just breathe and relax and you're going to do AWESOME". Jacqueline perched outside ALL smiles. All smiles. There I was a grown man with these two lovely, FEARLESS, ladies holding onto me. Big smile! And out we went....

Once you do it, you'll crave it. The fear becomes anxiety, the anxiety becomes anticipation, and then anticipation becomes overwhelming EXCITEMENT.

I had the door monster with me for 3 jumps. terror at the door. Could have written a book about the things that went through my mind. 4th jump I have no idea what happened but I was like "get me in the door!".

What you are NOT, is a wimp. Why? Because even CONTEMPLATING skydiving is more than most people can do. When people hear I am in an AFF course they think I'm insane. Your evolutionary drive says "no" yet you keep saying "maybe". THAT is progress.

It certainly is not for everyone, but a good school with good instructors, and a little courage will get you there. And once you do it ONCE... the confidence it gives you will be amazing. That and the grin that gets stuck for a few weeks. Its like that old expression "if you make that face and someone hits you it will stick"... well.. you leave with a smile and it will be noticeable for miles as you head for your next jump

I, like you, read a lot. SIM cover to cover. The Parachute and Its Pilot. Parachuting: The Skydivers Handbook. and "Jump! - Skydiving made fun and easy". Fun reads, but nothing.... NOTHING... helped me as much as the already mentioned "Transcending Fear" by Brian Germain.

I hope you have had a chance to get up there. It does change your life. Just remember to relax, smile, and breathe :)
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Michael I was in your shoes not 2 months ago. Now I'm A licensed and got 54 jumps and my own gear on the way. I was Trained at Skydive Spaceland in TX. Which I recommend by the way! I met people from that came from long distances to learn there such as Kuwait, Sweden and other places not so far, like Washington, Mass and Virginia.

My skydiving started on 2008, got some tandems in and one AFF, I ran out of money and due to weather holds, the DZ only being open on the weekends and me not being able to continue to jump daily to over come my fear, I left skydiving.

This July I was back in town and ran in to one of my girl friends and she was like we should totally do something while you are in town. Throwing a few things out there, skydiving being one of them. That was choice! I went and fell in love all over again!!! Immediately started doing research for a place close to where I was going to be working that was open 7 days a week. I paid the $2400 in full and forced my self to go regardless of how scared I was for what ever reason. I told my self I will at least complete the program because I paid for it and if I no longer wanted to jump after that I would walk away an A licensed skydiver who decided never to jump again LOL!

Obtaining my A license between work and other events took me two months. The best part though was that I could show up on a Wednesday and probably get a few jumps in and if there was for some reason a weather hold... return the next day and try again.

With all this being said it took me a total of 32 jumps to make my peace with skydiving. I was doing things (on the way to the DZ and while on the plane) like thinking about my family, friends, my nephew and nieces and how if anything happen to me that I wouldn't get to be part of their life etc, etc and that I just wanted to be there for family and to watch these kids grow up! On my 32nd jump I was under canopy and said to my self "this is what I love doing and I'm going to keep doing it, so why be scared of what may never happen and if something did happen I would deal with it in the moment just like you would driving down the road" I told my self I would no longer think about the things and people I value most and worry. I was going to ware a smile and think about how awesome this skydive was going to be.

Turn on some good music on your way to the DZ or call a friend and tell them what you are about to do. Once at the DZ smile, enjoy stories and let go of the plane and everything else because you know SKYDIVING is freaking awesome and you want to do it more then anything!