Jerseywoman61

New "older" first-timer

Hi! I waited until I was 51 to acquire the chutzpah to dive. At about 5,000 ft on the single-engine Cessna I made peace with my decision and remained resigned and calm until I landed. I can't believe I waited this long to float on air!!!! That was Sept. 8 at a wonderful facility in PA.

Oct. 6 I'm doing my 2nd from a closer facility in NJ, but if I still like it as much as I think I do, and as much as I do when I relive it daily, I'll be returning to PA regularly.

Wanted to stop and say hi, and wonder how many folks actually wait until post-middle age before discovering this sport.

Jerseywoman61

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not yet sure about the AFF; if I like the next jump as much as the first, I'm inclined to do it, reason-being (and I'm not sure about etiquette or whatever here), but my nature tends to feel "better" being in control of my destiny, if you know what I mean.

I've done a lotta, LOTTA, L-O-T-T-A research on skydiving and the risks/common perils/pratfalls, and I think I'd be pretty decent (adventurous and cautious at the same time), although I have a lot of trust in the instructor I tandem'd with (whom I'd like to stick with, lol).

So right now? Not sure yet. We'll see how the 2nd and 3rd go.

Jerseywoman61

I'm inclined to do it, reason-being (and I'm not sure about etiquette or whatever here), but my nature tends to feel "better" being in control of my destiny, if you know what I mean.

First...we're skydivers - there IS no etiquette. ;)

And 'B' ...Once licensed and 'on your own' - you will never feel as in charge of your 'own destiny' as you will in this sport!

Welcome to the jungle! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hey - welcome! I started last year at 55, had to take a break & am starting back. I LOVE it! I am just getting back from skydive Dallas. I took the first jump course & was supposed to jump today but wind speed was too high. I have been surprised at the number of women who are starting later in life. There are some great exercise suggestions here also. (When I first posted, I said I was starting at 57, but should have said 56 but I couldn't change it. Anyway, glad to see you here. You will find a lot of great people here!

Jerseywoman61

Wanted to stop and say hi, and wonder how many folks actually wait until post-middle age before discovering this sport.

I've met more than I thought. When going in for my CatA dive I met a gentleman who was 66, just retired, and was signing up for his AFF. Met many on here who took it up in their 50's or even 60's. Its a beautiful sport like that. I've talked to more than my share of people who said they had a career, they had a family, and the next step was find a new challenge and passion.

I'd also like to second there is no etiquette here.

Welcome to the community. no matter how far you go with it... its always a series of memories that you'll never forget and always change your life
You are not the contents of your wallet.

This is good news! I'm in fairly decent condition, a runner and hiker, rock climbing (sadly, for now, only indoors), and have my second jump this Sunday. I'm actually disappointed the cold weather is coming when I usually look forward to it for winter hiking/snowshoeing. If I still like diving Sunday as much as I did early September, I'm trying to get one more in. After that, who knows? Glad I found this place though.

ps. Haha. Had to look up POPS. Looks like one club I can get in to.

I am a 67 year old male who started this season and finished all of my in air maneuvers. Still have to do rigging next spring to get "A" license. Been doing some solos and have 60 jumps to-date. Don't plan to stop until my body says NO!

So far it has been one of the high points of my life...it is never to late if you are physically able and work hard at it while having tons of fun