e0782

woah I'm the FNG

Alright, I'm not old enough to skydive yet but I'm getting so close im 17 turning 18 in September the 10th to be exact. (My parents said if I dive they disown me. guess I don't have parents anymore lol!) I want to get right into skydiving I want to take my AFF class as soon as possible but im afraid I wont be able to do it before the jump season is over, DAMN MY LATE BIRTHDAY! I'm also not 100% sure of the cost so just a rough ball park number would be great for cost and do you guys think I could get my AFF class a before the season is over. then cry all winter because I wont be able to jump and go nuts in the spring? I have $1000 already saved up. is that enough or should I take some more hours or just wait till next season where I'll have more? thanks guys for the help it is much appreciated

e0782

Alright, I'm not old enough to skydive yet but I'm getting so close im 17 turning 18 in September the 10th to be exact. (My parents said if I dive they disown me. guess I don't have parents anymore lol!) I want to get right into skydiving I want to take my AFF class as soon as possible but im afraid I wont be able to do it before the jump season is over, DAMN MY LATE BIRTHDAY! I'm also not 100% sure of the cost so just a rough ball park number would be great for cost and do you guys think I could get my AFF class a before the season is over. then cry all winter because I wont be able to jump and go nuts in the spring? I have $1000 already saved up. is that enough or should I take some more hours or just wait till next season where I'll have more? thanks guys for the help it is much appreciated

So, the harsh reality...to get into this elite sport of badass is going to take money..plain and simple.
AFF - money.
You young thundercats that like to go FF after AFF - money.
Post AFF - money.
Coached jumps - money.
Renting gear - money.
Driving to DZ - money.
You young thundercats that like to buy their own rig after AFF (used or new) - money.

With that being said, if you do not have a stable job and do not get allowance from mommy and daddy, i would recommend holding off until you do have a job. if you do have a job (which probably doesn't pay much unless you have mommy and daddy self-owned businesss) then it's up to you.
You'll probably hear others on the forums say something like "oh you can do AFF off a menial job that pays minimum wage" or "if you want to do it you'll find a way..why don't you start packing rigs". That's fine to but brass tax, the reality of it is that it is expensive. You asked for an estimate...and this is an ESTIMATE everyone else! $5000+
Best way to get an estimate for YOU is to simply contact your local DZ and ask them how much their AFF course is. Then factor in the cost to drive, any tunnel time you might want to make, the possibility of repeating a jump during your AFF course, food, some personal gear like helmet, altimeter, suit (and some people here will say "oh but the DZ will provide you with a helmet, suit, altimeter".) But if you want to start with those items factor those in as well.

Luckily i don't have a job..i have a career.

secondly,it is possible to jump during the winter...depends on where you live, if the DZ is open during the winter, and if you can take the cold.

And lastly, welcome to DZ.com.

e0782

My parents said if I dive they disown me. guess I don't have parents anymore lol!

That's not something to take lightly. If you're still dependent on your parents, financially or otherwise, you might want to wait until you can live completely independent of them. I don't know your parents or how serious they are about that, but if you're planning to go to college and expect their help paying for, maybe you should stay on the ground for now.

And $1000 is not enough to get yourself through AFF. Especially if you have to pay rent and other bills.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Well, I do have a stable summer job at a water park where i make about 9 dollars an hour and this winter im going to be a snowboard instructor and ill make about 10 an hour, I think I will hold off untill mid next summer by then i should have enough! thanks for all the advice, I cant wait to get started!!

My parents arnt going to really disown me, sky diving would be the worst thing I've ever done. There is a skydiving place not to far from here and my mom is a state trooper and my dad is a retired trooper and the place near where I live doesn't have the best record with safety. they're afraid I will jump there, I'm not going to! its a hollow threat! I also recently talked to them about it seriously and told them i understand the risks but its something I've always wanted to do and they said I can do it I just cant tell them when so they don't worry about me the whole time.

e0782

Well, I do have a stable summer job at a water park where i make about 9 dollars an hour and this winter im going to be a snowboard instructor and ill make about 10 an hour, I think I will hold off untill mid next summer by then i should have enough! thanks for all the advice, I cant wait to get started!!

sir, with all due respect $9/hour and then $10/hour won't cut it. You can do it probably on a very very very strict budget. Mid next summer is possible if you're thinking of doing JUST AFF. But if you're going to be a skydiver factor in you have to be current meaning you'll want to be jumping as often as possible. Skydiving ain't no weekend thing,,,it's a lifestyle (often of being poor).
Good luck in your endeavours