hawkflight

Stupid jumpsuit question

Hi All,
Stupid question :.....what would be a good first jumpsuit ...? Does it matter WHAT I get......it being summer and all those Student suits are getting just a little funky and I want to buy my own but not sure what I should get....Please help

"Any fool can learn for his own mistakes, a wise man learns from anothers." Mark Twain

Firstly, you'll want to talk to your instructors about the material selection and fit of the jumpsuit. Basically if you need help slowing down or speeding up to match average fallrates.

At the end of the day, you want to dress for success for skydiving, so you'll need the proper fit and materials to help you along.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

it would probably be a better idea to get an RW suit at this time, rather then a freefly suit. this is because generally everyone agrees that you should have some RW jumps under your belt before you get into freefly. also, if you decide to do some freefly, a long-sleeved shirt is a pretty good cheap freefly suit.

but for materials, ask your instructors or experienced jumpers who have jumped with you to tell you how fast you fall. check if any of them have worn a protrack while falling with you, and find out your freefall speed.
as for what kinds of materials do what, search the forums.

MB 3528, RB 1182

ask your instructors. they can advise you as to materials. A jumpsuit can last a long time, so order something you're still going to want in 100 jumps when you're doing four way or something.

my only advice:

get booties.

and

get cordura on the knees, butt and booties. at this point, what the cordura does to your fall rate won't matter much if you tear your suit up on a slide in landing.

get booties.

get cordura on the knees, butt and booties. at this point, what the cordura does to your fall rate won't matter much if you tear your suit up on a slide in landing.

What do the booties do for you? Faster tracking (less drag)?
Cordura on the knees for crawling about the plane?

I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with sizing - finishing out the student sequence is coinciding with my summer of racing and getting back to reasonable shape. A good fit now would (hopefully) be a bit loose by the time it gets back to me, and baggy by the end of the summer. Maybe this points to using the student ones as long as they'll let me?

[reply
cordura for when you have a not-so-pretty landing, which, as a newbie, you will on occasion.

Me? Never.....ahhahaha.

I wish I had the same chute two weekends in a row.

Yeah, that played hell with my early accuracy attempts. If you can get it 3 jumps in a row on the same day, that helps. ;)

Other than that, the variety is... invigorating. :P

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.