bradleyshred

New and need advice!

Hey guys! My names Brad and I have a issue. I went skydiving sometime last year by myself. When I got there I was cool and collected the entire time. Out the door fine and everything. The second tandem the whole way there i had this feeling of nervousness the entire time and at the door really felt it. Once we were in the air though, loved it. I signed up for solo flight, took the class and the next day went. When i got there i had that slight nervousness again. When the instructor said it was time to get on the plane though, my body locked on me. Hard to breathe, clamy hands, weak knees. Out of no where I had no idea where it came from. I missed the first plane and when the second came I still felt the wave again but got on anyway. Sadly when we got to the door i completely flipped out and couldn't even go near the door. I'm so dissapointed in myself that I didn't do it and want to conquer it but every time I even think of jumping, my body tenses and I get a wave of nervousness. Has anyone had a experience like this or know someone who has? I don't understand why the first time I was super cool and as the next two times came I got worse and worse.

Paging Brian Germain. Paging Dr. Brian Germain.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Welcome to the forums! :)
I was a very nervous student too. One thing I did to help gain confidence was to hang out at the dz and watch the loads land. As soon as I'd see someone open, I'd watch their pattern and try to figure out in my own head what their next move should be. For example, I'd think, "ok, he's going downwind and then when he gets over that building he should turn right into his crosswind leg". Doing this helped me realize that I really did comprehend the landing pattern.

When I got really nervous in the plane, I'd think of the Nike slogan, "Just do it", and gave myself a little bit of tough love and kicked my ass out of the plane. I knew it was just my fears holding me back, not a lack of comprehension or physical skills. Sometimes you just have to shush those voices in your head!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Door fear. We all had it. The person who's defeating you is you, and you know that guy better than anyone. Examine what's actually making you nervous there and take steps to address those fears to your satisfaction. Once you get over that hump, each jump gets easier. I still get a bit antsy if I'm the first one out the door and we open it on the way to altitude, but I actually get more jittery when they lock us in the wind tunnel before they turn the fan on (After it's on, I'm fine, which I find somewhat weird.)

A lot of students are unable to go from time to time. I never stopped at the door, but I had to fight with myself to go to the DZ several times while I was on student status. Now I have to fight with myself to NOT go to the DZ. I had to make myself go to a low-buy-in poker tournament the other day, just to remind my self that there are other entertainment options available. Unfortunately I'd forgotten that I'm really bad at poker heh heh. Good thing I'm a better skydiver than a poker player. Not that that's saying much...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

bradleyshred

I'm so dissapointed in myself that I didn't do it and want to conquer it but every time I even think of jumping, my body tenses and I get a wave of nervousness. Has anyone had a experience like this or know someone who has? I don't understand why the first time I was super cool and as the next two times came I got worse and worse.

This is coming from a girl who didn't jump out of the plane TWICE because of exactly what you are feeling now. When the door opened I would get like a mini panic attack. I hated myself for a whole week because I didn't jump and told the pilot and instructor I didn't want to go.

But now I'm about 12 jumps in the solo IAD course. How did I get over it? Well, I'm not. You are going to feel nervous every time in the plane. Sometimes you might even feel relaxed. How did I get over it and do it? Well...your body and mind is going to feel a lot of weird things because you are about to jump out of an airplane. You are SUPPOSED to feel the way you are your first time. I know I was so scared the first time I decided to get back in the plane the next weekend and as I was stepping out onto the step (Cessna plane) everything in my body and mind told me danger was ahead. But after I let go of the strut, I felt so empowering and awesome and when my canopy opened I had chills all over. I have them now just thinking of it.

I decided to let my body feel whatever it is going to and still do it. I haven't regretted it since! Good luck!!!:)
Edit: Look at it this way. In the plane you are scared right? But so is every one else (okay, maybe some aren't as scared anymore, but we are talking about the first timers who are freaked out like you and me) but when they land they are all smiles. So fear the ride up and jump and be happy. Or don't do it and feel the regret you feel now....Which one is better?:)

Yeah the door monster isn't something they really warn you about haha. I already signed up for stp classes again and plan on going when I get paid. It's something I really want to conquer because I know it will add drive to every other aspect of my life , plus whats more kickass then flying through the air!

On the ride to altitude, take some time to visualize the entire skydive. Mentally walk through everything from approaching the door all the way to landing. Take some slow, deep breaths to help you relax and smile. If you're still feeling really tense, turn to your instructor and tell them the dumbest joke that you know. It's amazing how hearing/telling a dumb joke can just cut through the tension and help you relax.

One of my favorite dumb jokes is: What's brown and sticky?... A stick. :P

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

mrubin

On the ride to altitude, take some time to visualize the entire skydive. Mentally walk through everything from approaching the door all the way to landing. Take some slow, deep breaths to help you relax and smile. If you're still feeling really tense, turn to your instructor and tell them the dumbest joke that you know. It's amazing how hearing/telling a dumb joke can just cut through the tension and help you relax.

One of my favorite dumb jokes is: What's brown and sticky?... A stick. :P

ALL excellent advice - except the joke.

Two cannibals are eating a clown, one says to the other...this taste funny to you? ~ always works much better! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

One of my best friends in high school drove his car like a crazy person. He was in control but drove it right on the ragged edge. I was with him most every day and always very tense in the car. One day I decided that if I didn't trust him not to wreck, I was a fool for getting in the car with him. At that point I just relaxed and accepted the fact that if we crashed, we crashed, but I was not going to sit there and dig my fingernails into the interior all of the time.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

It's so good to hear that you are feeling confident again. Definitely let us know how it goes!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hate that door monster. I'm early in AFF myself and that weather hold can be a relief, but then I get annoyed on the drive home. If you have a DZ with a mock-up, practice the exit while you wait. Practice the exit a lot from the very back of the mock-up. It makes the exit way less scary.
SCR 15113
USPA Coach-C
Hellfish 1004

Mine was going to the dz knowing I was going to jump, cause I worked there as the pilot. First two were no problem. The others, until I hit freefall (IAD), my stomach twisted as soon as I got off the phone to see if I could come jump. Getting out wasn't too bad, but after my first "full" skydive, I was good. Still feel a little wierd if I haven't jumped in a while.

Glad to hear your sticking with it. As stupid as it sounds, I'm terrified of heights and the first jump of the day always gets me wound up. After that.... smooth sailing. I think as it was said before, some are more scared then others. Anyone who claims to be fearless, is BSing or maybe a little too complacent. In my eyes, fear is a good thing..... keeps ya on your toes and I use it to block out everything else other than what's at hand. The exit is my favorite part of the jump.... for a few magical seconds, nothing else matters. Nothing that might of been going on at home or work or whatever else. I think after you learn to trust the gear and yourself, you'll find the exits to be as thrilling as the rest of the jump. When it comes down to it, what's the worst that can go wrong? ;) We all gotta go, and I can think of tons of other stupid stuff that I did that should of killed me. If I go in, so be it..... but it sure isn't gonna be with the handles stowed! I can think of only one other activity, coupled (literally) with skydiving that would be a better way out.... but I'll keep it PG. :D Do it for you and have the time of your life!

Sun, Fun, and Blue Ones

Respect Existence, Or Expect Resistance!

Been there and done all of that and I'm a "noob" as well. First, don't feel bad or ashamed. You're skydiving and not playing croquet, there's just a "slight" difference between the two sports. Jumping out airplanes is not I repeat not a natural act and OBTW there are no perfectly good airplanes for if there were, they would not break and never have to undergo maintenance but they are machines that do border on miraculous. I did all my jumps out of a Cessna 182. Hated that plane at the beginning, love it now and I mean that! When that door opened it felt like the "warden and the boys" had come to take me on my last walk. When I had to do my first spot, I was really jumping out of my skin. But with time, instruction and trust in my abilities, the confidence builds and I no longer fear the "door monster." I still have some yips but once out in free fall it all goes away and when I land, I'm ecstatic as though it were the first jump. Once you've learned how to spot, take a pace you and your instructor can agree to and spot as much as you can...the confidence will build. Now I love to spot. Good luck and take some comfort in the fact that you're not alone! Adversity is there to be conquered! Blue Skies.

bradleyshred

Hey guys! My names Brad and I have a issue. I went skydiving sometime last year by myself. When I got there I was cool and collected the entire time. Out the door fine and everything. The second tandem the whole way there i had this feeling of nervousness the entire time and at the door really felt it. Once we were in the air though, loved it. I signed up for solo flight, took the class and the next day went. When i got there i had that slight nervousness again. When the instructor said it was time to get on the plane though, my body locked on me. Hard to breathe, clamy hands, weak knees. Out of no where I had no idea where it came from. I missed the first plane and when the second came I still felt the wave again but got on anyway. Sadly when we got to the door i completely flipped out and couldn't even go near the door. I'm so dissapointed in myself that I didn't do it and want to conquer it but every time I even think of jumping, my body tenses and I get a wave of nervousness. Has anyone had a experience like this or know someone who has? I don't understand why the first time I was super cool and as the next two times came I got worse and worse.

Out of curiosity, have you ever thought this sport might not be for you?

Then why would you ask another skydiver such an insulting question?

While I fully realize that skydiving, much like anything else in life, isn't for everyone...I also understand the struggles new students can face as they learn.

We should help them face their challenges and prepare them to succeed.
We should not try to run them off...simply because they aren't as cool as you are.