rocky-dives

Hello, hello! :)

Hey everyone!

I'm a total newb but have already fallen in love with the sport. I'm hoping to progress and learn from everyone, and perhaps one day after I've learned the ropes, return the favour to others in the community. B|

I did my first tandem a year ago for my 29th birthday, and I have literally been smiling at the memory ever since.
I'm doing my second tandem tomorrow morning, and hopefully will sign up for AFF in a couple of months' time- after I get Lasik surgery and am clear to go back to normal activities.

My TM on my first jump was incredible! I was relaxed the whole way up and upon exit, but looking back at the video I found that I lifted my knees and was kicking, which caused us to flip a few times after exiting. :S I don't know why but I just completely forgot everything she told me prior to exiting.

The TM was amazing, I cannot stress that enough. She got us stable really fast and never complained to me that I didn't have the right position- in fact she told me I did great and encouraged me to jump again.
She was really sweet and patient under canopy and answered all my questions about the sport and the job. She really made my first jump special, in spite of the fact that I goofed! :$

So, this is also a HUGE shoutout to all the TMs out there who tolerate us noobs and show us a good time even if we do mess up your exits. :$

Hope to get to know all you guys better. I'll post again after my tandem tomorrow. :D

Feel free to give me any tips on the upcoming tandem- I'm all ears! Or just pop in and say Hi because I'd love to get to know you all :)

Hey rocky-dives, I jumped for my first time yesterday. My instructor said "Tuck your knees, were doin gainers"! So we did 2 or 3 and then stabilized. After another 30 seconds we pulled chute and spiral straight down both ways! He put that chute on edge man. It was below us.

My friend and me are gonna hit ground school next month.

Thanks for the warm welcome, skymama! :)
I did just that and managed to steer the canopy a bit, but the TI had to help me as I wasn't strong enough on my own. :$

As for how it went, I can only say that the second tandem was amazing!
I was much more aware this time around, so that was awesome. I arched and reminded myself to arch throughout the free fall, and this time I really took in the view as well.

But what I was really stoked about- and this surprised even me- was that I was reading the altimeter with the TI!! I didn't intend to but found it came naturally. He had his arm under mine with his hand lower than my head, so just a quick glance down allowed me to read the altitude!
When I saw it read 6, I braced myself for him to open the 'chute at 5! My video shows me going from a gigantic grin to a straight face as I waited for him to pull! :D

I'm proud of myself for having been that aware and am taking it as an indication that I may just be ready for AFF!

There were a couple of moments that I wasn't so proud of and wish I had handled differently. I did get really nervous at two points. Initially, I had trouble putting on my seat belt on the plane [:/], which was the first time I realised I might not be as calm as I think. The real nervousness hit me as we made our way towards the open door and I felt the cold wind hit me. I wasn't at all nervous during my last tandem, so I was truly embarrassed that I got butterflies at that stage. I even asked the TI if he was sure I was strapped in properly! I can't believe I did that.
The other moment that I regret wasn't my fault at all but it has stuck with me. After we landed and walked back into the building for the TI to remove my harness, another guy who was doing his first tandem that day (he was slotted for the last load of the day) came up to us and said the TI landed wrong!!! The TI smiled and walked away (which was so mature of him) but I stood there speechless and shocked.
I should have immediately told the guy that the TI knows what he's doing and that the fact that I'm safe and sound is proof of his expertise, but instead I just stood there dumbfounded. I really wish I'd stuck up for the instructor.

Is this too much of a detailed post? LOL! I'm just giddy and I can't stop thinking about each aspect of the jump. Hope nobody minds.

I'm glad to hear your second tandem went well. Don't be concerned about getting nervous, I STILL get nervous. We're jumping out of airplanes, for goodness sake! Also, no big deal about fumbling with the seatbelt, those things are a chore sometimes. And as far as not standing up for your TI, it's not your place as a passenger. He's a big boy, I'm sure he can handle criticism himself.

When are you going back for AFF? ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

rocky-dives

My video shows me going from a gigantic grin to a straight face as I waited for him to pull! :D

I'm proud of myself for having been that aware and am taking it as an indication that I may just be ready for AFF!

There were a couple of moments that I wasn't so proud of and wish I had handled differently. I did get really nervous at two points. Initially, I had trouble putting on my seat belt on the plane [:/], which was the first time I realised I might not be as calm as I think. The real nervousness hit me as we made our way towards the open door and I felt the cold wind hit me. I wasn't at all nervous during my last tandem, so I was truly embarrassed that I got butterflies at that stage. I even asked the TI if he was sure I was strapped in properly! I can't believe I did that.
The other moment that I regret wasn't my fault at all but it has stuck with me. After we landed and walked back into the building for the TI to remove my harness, another guy who was doing his first tandem that day (he was slotted for the last load of the day) came up to us and said the TI landed wrong!!! The TI smiled and walked away (which was so mature of him) but I stood there speechless and shocked.
I should have immediately told the guy that the TI knows what he's doing and that the fact that I'm safe and sound is proof of his expertise, but instead I just stood there dumbfounded. I really wish I'd stuck up for the instructor.

Is this too much of a detailed post? LOL! I'm just giddy and I can't stop thinking about each aspect of the jump. Hope nobody minds.

All of what you're feeling is 100% normal. The door monster only scares for the first 10-20 jumps or so. Soon you will want to be at that moment, going out the door, more than anywhere else.

As for the whuffo telling your instructor He was wrong, you should just just laugh at them, and realize how funny it is. :D

skymama

I'm glad to hear your second tandem went well. Don't be concerned about getting nervous, I STILL get nervous. We're jumping out of airplanes, for goodness sake! Also, no big deal about fumbling with the seatbelt, those things are a chore sometimes. And as far as not standing up for your TI, it's not your place as a passenger. He's a big boy, I'm sure he can handle criticism himself.

When are you going back for AFF? ;)

Awww! Thanks for the reassurance. It means a lot.

AFF will have to wait until I get Lasik surgery on my eyes. If all goes well, I should have the doctor's all-clear to do the course and have enough money saved up by mid-August.

Trafficdiver

All of what you're feeling is 100% normal. The door monster only scares for the first 10-20 jumps or so. Soon you will want to be at that moment, going out the door, more than anywhere else.

As for the whuffo telling your instructor He was wrong, you should just just laugh at them, and realize how funny it is. :D

I'm getting such a warm welcome here! I really appreciate it, so thank you!

And I had to Google "whuffo", can you tell I'm a noob? :P