majormajors

Very excited to get started on my AFF!

Hey folks.

My name is Matt and I'm new to the sport. I did my frist tandem a little over a month ago and today I scheduled my AFF ground school for May 18. I'm very psyched to get started. I've been obsessing, really. I've been reading lots of literature, watching instructional videos, checking out AFF jumps on youtube, and tracking down various videos about deployment malfunctions and other mishaps to make myself as aware as possible about the sport and proper safety. I'm pretty sure I'm also driving all my friends and family crazy with my nonstop talk about skydiving these past few weeks.

A little bit about myself: I'm 27. I grew up in Indiana, lived in Michigan for ~6.5 years, and now I'm in San Francisco. I also love to snowboard and water ski, and I'm planning on going for a private pilot license later in the year.

Welcome, Matt!
(that sounds funny)

Info for you:

Skydiver's Information Manual - it's our skydiving bible.
Before AFF it would benefit you to be familiar with Chapters 1-3 and Categories A-C in Chapter 4.

Try not to get ahead of yourself...everything will be covered in training and you don't want to be overloaded with info that will only apply later in your training progression.

I always recommend buying a hard copy AND downloading this soft copy.

http://www.uspa.org/SIM.aspx

Another benefit for getting some exposure to what's coming.....

http://www.uspa.org/BecomeaSkydiver/OnlineGroundSchool/tabid/557/Default.aspx

Good luck in your progression.

What DZ will you be going to?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Welcome to the forums! :)

A little bit about myself: I'm 27. I grew up in Indiana, lived in Michigan for ~6.5 years, and now I'm in San Francisco. I also love to snowboard and water ski, and I'm planning on going for a private pilot license later in the year.

I'll ask for for the inquiring minds; are you single? You sound like a catch! ;)

Good luck on your training!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Skydiver's Information Manual - it's our skydiving bible.

Thanks! I've already read a majority of it online, but I'll also grab a hard copy.

What DZ will you be going to?

I'm going to Norcal Skydiving, the same place I did my tandem.

And for skymama:

I'll ask for for the inquiring minds; are you single? You sound like a catch!

No. I'm seeing someone right now, but I'm very flattered. :)

Welcome to the forums! :)

I'll ask for for the inquiring minds; are you single? You sound like a catch! ;)

Good luck on your training!

Would you date me? I'm mid 30's, have a career (not a job), I still snowboard, i'm a licensed skydiver, i'm a scuba instructor, i'm in great shape, i'm strikingly handsome, and (here's the kicker) I have great endurance and stamina (if you know what i mean) ;)

Well, I'm in a relationship, but you certainly sound like you could be a catch for someone too. Where do you jump?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Well, I'm in a relationship, but you certainly sound like you could be a catch for someone too. Where do you jump?

Why thank you. As in my previous post about "having a crush on my instructor" I would like to stay incognito with hold any information as to where my home DZ is at. Let's just say, if you were to divide the United States in half on the map, I jump on the left side of that division (including Hawaii and Alaska) ;)

But if you become available again please let me know since i would like to go out on a date with you someday. :$

Thanks

The start of the AFF is intensive on its ground training for good reason and it only gets easier and more fun ! don't stress too much on the small details if you miss a step of the routines they give you as they work out anything on the next couple, just don't forget to pull :D you have an advantage of jumping before even if it was a tandem you know what it feels like to get out of the plane

The start of the AFF is intensive on its ground training for good reason and it only gets easier and more fun ! don't stress too much on the small details if you miss a step of the routines they give you as they work out anything on the next couple, just don't forget to pull :D you have an advantage of jumping before even if it was a tandem you know what it feels like to get out of the plane

Yeah, I just tend to get excited about things and want to absorb as much knowledge as I can. XD