mxgarrett94

new to skydiving and looking for help!

well im 19 and ive been interested in getting into skydiving for a while now. can someone please point me in the right direction fir where to get started? thanks!

Step one: Go to either the USPA site or the Dropzone locater here on DZ.com.

Find the closest DZ (or maybe more than one) to you.

Find out when they are open.

Step two:GO OUT THERE.

Find what's called "Manifest." That's the office, window or desk where you check in.

Say to the nice person there: "I'd like to learn how to skydive. How do I go about doing that?"

You may or may not want to do a tandem first. Some training programs have it built in, others do not.
It will give you an idea of what it's like with an experienced instructor strapped to you.

Warning #1 - There is a scam out there that puts out ads that pretend to be dropzones all over the country. Those DZs are fictitous. They sell "gift certificates" that are only redeemable at certain places. You may end up driving several hours (and past several legit DZs) to redeem that GC.
DO NOT purchase a GC over the phone.
GO TO THE DZ IN PERSON BEFORE LAYING OUT ANY MONEY.

Warning #2 - Even at a legit DZ, be prepared to pay a lot of money to participate in this sport. It is very addictive and not cheap.

But well worth it.

Welcome and good luck.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Better would be to use the dropzone locator here to find a list of DZ's within some distance, then ask folks here for opinions and recommendations for training at each of those places.

Someone completely unaware of the sport doesn't know the difference (good and bad) between a tandem mill (not good for students), vs a small cessna DZ and a turbine DZ (each of which will have their unique strengths and weaknesses). And manifest girl at the closest tandem mill ain't gonna spill the beans (instead, he'll be welcomed as a "student" and immediately strapped to the closest TI).

just my two cents worth.

Better would be to use the dropzone locator here to find a list of DZ's within some distance, then ask folks here for opinions and recommendations for training at each of those places.

Someone completely unaware of the sport doesn't know the difference (good and bad) between a tandem mill (not good for students), vs a small cessna DZ and a turbine DZ (each of which will have their unique strengths and weaknesses). And manifest girl at the closest tandem mill ain't gonna spill the beans (instead, he'll be welcomed as a "student" and immediately strapped to the closest TI).

just my two cents worth.

Make it $1.00, yes.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

just my two cents worth.

Good point. I was thinking more about keeping him away from the fake DZ ads. I didn't think about a tandem mill.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo