mjoie27

South Jersey Newbie With Some Questions

Sup everybody. I'm a 20 year old bachelor from south jersey who jumps out of Cross Keys. I got my tandems out of the way and plan to start AFF within the next two weeks or so. I have a few questions...

1) I'm not sure how to phrase this without probably sounding odd but I'll wing it. I've been told that it is common to have nightmares about malfunctions and whatnot prior to jumping solo. However, my nightmares are not about the mals and death in particular but ending up as a paraplegic. I guess it's because my goal in life is to become a state trooper and god forbid something went wrong, that goal could never be accomplished. My question is, is there anything that people do other than just "getting over it" to move past this fear? In no way will it stop me but I'd rather it just not be there.

2) After I get my A license I plan to buy my own gear. I would like to get a lot of it used however it doesn't help that I'm a solid 5'11 and 205 lbs. I've lurked in the classified section for a while and noticed that the vast majority of gear for sale wouldn't fit me. How easy is it to find used "big boy" gear?

I appreciate any help.

Mike

I suspect the nightmares will probably calm down as you get comfortable with the gear and the process of jumping. It may take a while but you seem to be able to convince your subconscious that what you're doing is survivable and reasonably safe. You could also check to see if you're dreaming if you find yourself in that situation and take control of the dream if the answer is yes. If you get good at that, you don't need to take crap from dreams anymore. I had a lot of nightmares as a child and learned how to do this as a defense mechanism.

I have the same problem you do as far as gear goes. Someone was selling a full system at my DZ that was just a little too small and a little too new for me. I have a guy over there keeping an eye out for me. If you watch the classifieds, you'll see them pop up from time to time. It's a little harder, but it's not impossible.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

1) is there anything that people do other than just "getting over it" to move past this fear? In no way will it stop me but I'd rather it just not be there.

Nope. It's going to be there no matter what...except for the psychopaths. You've already conquered it when you said, "In no way....."
:D:D

2) After I get my A license I plan to buy my own gear. I would like to get a lot of it used however it doesn't help that I'm a solid 5'11 and 205 lbs. I've lurked in the classified section for a while and noticed that the vast majority of gear for sale wouldn't fit me. How easy is it to find used "big boy" gear?

Finding used gear to fit is always problematic yet not insurmountable. The recommendation is always to buy used at first..unless you have money to burn. Personally, i don't see that 5'11/205 is "big boy" gear. Not by a long shot.

At 5'11", you should have a lot less problem than real "big boys". The weight is not much of a factor in the sizing...it's more about weight distribution...just where IS that weight?
Legs? Leg strap length might be a problem but not very likely.
Torso? Lateral length may be an issue.

At 5'11', MLW length will be the least of your problems....many, many 5'11" guys out here.

BEFORE you buy....
- Are you familiar with the escrow process? It's just about the only way to go.
- Never, never, pay cash before you gt your goods unless it's from a known, trusted and spoken for individual very much involved in skydiving.
- Seek out established gear shops. Several have used gear in stock..both piece-parts and/or complete systems.
- Try hard to avoid e-bay, Crag's Lis and such...scammers galore. Even here on DZ.com scammers come but we all try to spot those and drum them off the site one way or another.

Check out..

http://www.chutingstar.com/expert-advice/

..and look under the "Skydive" pull-down menu for "Buying Gear".

good Luck!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Nope. It's going to be there no matter what...except for the psychopaths. You've already conquered it when you said, "In no way....."

Thanks for the diagnosis Andy!

Once you trust your equipment and your ability to operate it, my way of thinking is "I am going over there to open my parachute and land it.

The easist way to get "over there" is because it happens to be down, you can use gravitiy to help you get there. That takes the falling part out of the process and all is well.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

it's more about weight distribution...just where IS that weight?
Legs? Leg strap length might be a problem but not very likely.
Torso? Lateral length may be an issue.

BEFORE you buy....
- Are you familiar with the escrow process? It's just about the only way to go.

I definitely hold a lot of weight in my thighs which could be a problem. Other than that everything is pretty much average. To be honest I'm not entirely sure how I weigh what I do.

Also, I am not aware of the escrow process. Any clarification would be great.

Thanks for all your input guys I appreciate it.

the escrow process is basically usinga 3rd party to buy gear.

say you want to buy a rig from me. you send it to chutingstar and they perform an inspection of the rig. if it is good to go, you send them the money and they send you the rig.

basically just keeps everyone honest.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

the escrow process is basically usinga 3rd party to buy gear.

say you want to buy a rig from me. you send it to chutingstar and they perform an inspection of the rig. if it is good to go, you send them the money and they send you the rig.

basically just keeps everyone honest.

I gotcha. That definitely seems like easiest route to take. Thanks

Look at Chutingstar's link I sent you in post#3.
Again, look under the Skydive/Buying Gear pull-down It explains what you need to know to protect yourself. Give them a call...they are very friendly and will do everything they can to help you out. Good people

Search the forums for Chutingstar and you will see that Mike Gruwell is THE mist trusted rigger/dealer in the business. FWIW, I would back him with my own reputation at the drop of a hat.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Welcome to the forums! :)

Thanks! I'll be sure to do that

Look at Chutingstar's link I sent you in post#3.
Again, look under the Skydive/Buying Gear pull-down It explains what you need to know to protect yourself. Give them a call...they are very friendly and will do everything they can to help you out. Good people

Yea I took a look at it and it was very helpful. I'll be sure to refer back to it when I look into buying gear

Welcome to skydiving say goodbye to your spare time and your kids college funds. As for your worries they are normal and will subside as you progress in the sport. Your coaches will give you the proper training and how to use your equipment in the event of a malfunction it will become second nature to you.

As for gear Mikey G at ChutingStar is incredible and is always willing to answer all your questions. Also check out Art at the pro shop at Cross Keys he has a large selection of rental rigs in awesome condition which you'll probably be renting after your A license. He can also measure you for just about any rig you desire. Regardless take care of your gear and keep it well maintained and it will take care of you! Welcome to the sport!
Live every day as it was your last, one day you'll be right!