--Grub--

Newbie Jumper on the Gold Coast Australia

Hey guys n gals,
Just wanted to stick my head in the door, ring the bell and say hi to all you nutters, I've just completed my AFF and can't wait to go jumping locally, anyone else from the Gold Coast keen to go for a jump??also where is good, I've been out to a DZ in Gatton and wasn't very impressed so I'd like to know of some good DZs in the area, I've heard some really cool things about Toogoolawah and Byron, cheers guys and thanks for reading!!!!

Hey guys n gals,
Just wanted to stick my head in the door, ring the bell and say hi to all you nutters, I've just completed my AFF and can't wait to go jumping locally, anyone else from the Gold Coast keen to go for a jump??also where is good, I've been out to a DZ in Gatton and wasn't very impressed so I'd like to know of some good DZs in the area, I've heard some really cool things about Toogoolawah and Byron, cheers guys and thanks for reading!!!!

Toogz is good, that's where I started my AFF. There was a girl from the Goldy out at the same time (goes by Macca/Moose), not sure if she's finished all her stages yet but could be a carpool buddy down the line.
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Brisbane myself. Only got stage 1 knocked out, wrenched my shoulder in freefall doing my practise pulls thanks to an old minor injury that I didn't think was an issue. Landed uneventfully, cleared for stage 2. Was testing what range of movement I had an hour or so later (wasn't going up unless I was 100% confident in it) and it dislocated. That was 2 months ago, still don't have full range of movement back and it's nowhere near as strong as I'd like. Hopefully be good to jump in another month or so... [:/]

You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Jarred it about 5 years ago coming off a wall when rock climbing. Hurt, but never bad enough to bother getting it looked at - if I bowled too long playing beach cricket it got a bit sore but that was it. Must've weakened it, then the way I reached back for the hackey in freefall it just caught the wind wrong. I'm a skinny bastard too so there's not a lot of muscle holding it all together... :P

And yeah, if I'd gone up again I almost certainly would have popped it out in the air... Good thing I'm the cautious type!

At the Fitzgerald Boogie in Georgia a guy had to pull silver because he dislocated his shoulder upon exit. Be careful with that.

Cheers, and yeah I will. I found out after landing and talking to a few of the guys (before the actual dislocation) that shoulders are a tricky one in this sport. It's been my focus since first talking to my Physio that I need it to be a lot stronger than it was before jumping again, and you can bet your ass I'll be strapping it as well. Oh and if I do stick around in the sport for a bit then I get all the fun of risking another dislocation thanks to someone else during B-rels... :S

My 'home' DZ is Byron - it is a tandem orientated drop zone at the end of the day, but the people there are awesome, the views are incredible and the fun jumpers are starting to grow. Wednesdays are a good time to visit if you don't work (mainly a fun jump day and $33 to 14,000) but be sure to call ahead and check the weather. There is nearly always wind here (as with most coastal DZ's) and can leave you looking at the trees blowing all day on some occasions - trust me on that one, it took me 4 months to finish my AFF haha.

Toogs is certainly worth checking out! I have only been out there for one weekend but I had a blast. Tickets are a little more expensive ($45), but remember it is a club DZ not a tandem mill like most aussie drop zones.

Hey mate, cheers for the info! Great help, sorry it took me so long to reply, that's what I was worried about with Byron, can you get on a load at all on the weekends? I work all week that's my problem.
I'm catching up with a few of my mates which I my AFF with and were going up to toogs next weekend, so looking forward to that, Byron is a lot closer though!