Poeppe

Help! I'm new I don't know what to do!

Hello everyone and I'd like to say thank you in advance to all of you who read this and to anyone that posts in here with advice..I have been wanting to skydive for about 3 years now..and due to some recent events in the past few months I am doing everything in my power to start jumping..In April I am going down to Arizona to try and get my AFF done in about 7 days. I did a tandem back in 2011 so I have jumped atleast once..My main concern. Is I live in a VERY small town in Iowa. My closest DZ is in Des Moines and most likely will continue jumping there when I get back as it is only an hour drive..Somethings I am wondering and worried about are
cost - I am 100% sure I want to be a skydiver..and not just as a hobby, I'd like to pursue this as something more. I see some of you on here with easily like 200 jumps in less then a year! that is awesome, congrats to you all that have done that and much respect..But as for cost and my location I fear I will come no where close to getting 200 done in a year..I'll be lucky if I get my "A" by the end of the year as Des Moines only jumps on weekends. As far as my money situation I'm lucky to break $500 each check at my job now..and staying with my dad at age 25 to try and save every penny possible..

I guess my main question in all of this is how in the hell did those of you will high amounts of jumps in so little of time accomplish this? I would love to be an instructor one day or at least WORK in a DZ. Skydiving is all I think about and it's absolutely what
I want to do. But my location and finance seems to be scaring me into thinking this might not get accomplished as fast as I would wish..And yes I know not to rush and should just start just to get into it..I am rushing the thinking..but I guess I am just eager to get jumping finally. Any comments will help. Thanks for your time and enjoy your jumps!

you and everyone else bro.

it took me almost 8 months to get through AFF, and thats without having to repeat any of the jumps.

ive been skydiving for 7 years now (mostly not skydiving for that time), and have just now gotten to where im jumping just about every weekend and getting all custom gear and new suits. i found myself working in a SHIT paying career back when i started, and over the past few years ive transitioned into a different and better paying career, and my life has slowly evolved, all because skydiving was the change i needed and the challenge to make me figure out how to get what i want in life.

if you want this sport bad enough, you will find ways to make it happen, even if that means living out of a tent at your DZ packing tandems for a living or whatever.

its all up to you, good luck!
gravity brings me down.........

If you are trying to save money, skydiving, or any extreme sport, is not the way to go.

52 weekends X Avg. 4/wk = 200/yr

Having said that. You get the jumps by being there.
Many of us use turbine DZ (spoiled brats that we are) and get more opportunities per day to jump.

Advice: Get a real job. At least until you have the experience and can find the situation that meets your needs for skydiving employment.

Get used to Ramen noodles.

Welcome the Big Blue skies from ll of us (hungry: throw food) skydivers.
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

hi poeppe!

welcome to the addiction. the only answer i have for you is to work, a lot. people always ask me how i afford to do this, and the answer is i work three jobs, 7 days a week, usually 10 hour days. if i make three jumps in a weekend i am happy. the most i have made is 10, but i work my ass off for it.

don't go above your means, and if you are willing to put in the time and effort, you can make it happen. it isn't easy, but if you love it enough, you sacrafice for what is really important to you.

Thank you all of you for posting. It means a lot. More then you know. I actually have a really decent job in a factory working 40 hours a week..I get a lot taken out of my check..maybe 300 every check so that doesn't help my situation..I've actually been concidering getting another job to help save money..living at my dads helps me alot i can save nearly every penny. I still do have bills though such ass car insurance and i have medical and such through work.. and the only reason I am saving my money is FOR skydiving. I wake up at 5 a.m. everyday to go to work. Then get off at 2 and usually by then i'm tired as shit..but i still feel like i don't have the money i need for this..especially when it comes to gear and everything else in between. I realize to get to a spot I want to be it will cost easily around 10k. So working 8 hours a day and then concidering working another job just drains my mind, haha..but I honestly might have to do it just to be able to pay for all of this..I know one of you mentioned living in a tent at a drop zone which I would actually LOVE. but like i said i am as newbie as they come with only one tandem...So this trip to Phoenix in April will actually at least get me jumping and doing my AFF. My main worry is if I get another job and have to work on the weekends then I won't be able to at least get jumps in on the weekends..I am realizing how much you have to sacrifice to skydive..but am very very willing to do what I have to do at least start jumping. I feel like I'm at a point in my life where I HAVE to do this. It's all I think about and all I want to do. I have let other people through the years affect my decision of jumping or not..and anymore I'm just ready to do what I want, not what everyone else wants..and yeah it takes a shitload of money..but to me..happiness is more important then money..rich in the mind poor in the pocket as they say. Thanks again guys it's nice to be able to talk to some jumpers for once and get advice. :)

Once you get through your training, coached jumps and buying gear, the costs of skydiving really aren't that bad. That's why I was suggesting you save some more money for the expensive first few months.
I worked a second job to be able to afford my rig. Yeah, I was pretty tired but it wasn't that bad because I was working towards my goal of being able to afford a rig instead of just working to pay the bills. It didn't seem as bad that way.
Figure out how much you would earn if you worked like an extra 20 hours a week and were able to pocket every bit of that money, How long would you have to work to reach your goal? What about taxes? Are you expecting a refund that you could apply to your stash?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Don't think too far ahead...focus on getting the course done and some jumps under your belt and then worry about what comes next.

Back when I started it took a long time to clock a hudred jumps simply because aircraft were hard to get, and the weather wasn't always the best. But I can#t remember being disadvantaged by that, we spent a lot of time learning all about the sport...and you can still do a lot of that without actually jumping.

That helped to build the background knowledge that helped a lot when the scene opened up and money and jumps came more easily. I learnt to pack, to rig, and a lot about different equipment and skydive disciplines, and all that came for free. The older jumpers helped because they saw I was keen and stuck around.

Also, if your jumping is intermittent, its better to save your pennies and spend a full on week at a full time DZ, rather than doing one jump per weekend over a month or so.

If you want it, it'll happen, it sometimes takes a little more time. That is not a problem.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Thank you for your post and motivation. I do tend to think WAY to far ahead..and you are right about its better to save and then go to a DZ for a straight week and get jumps in that way. That is exactly what I am doing for my AFF. I already have to money for my AFF and am going to Skydive Phoenix in April to hopefully complete my AFF in a week. As far as my location. In Iowa.. My closest DZ is in Des Moines and they only jump on weekends..but I think once I get back from my Arizona training it is the best place to at least stay in the scene of things and learn. I am very very eager to learn about skydiving and usually spend my free time looking up skydiving videos and packing videos and such..It does help on the learning and and I feel I HAVE learnt a lot but for me it is always easier to learn HANDS ON. Meaning being there..having the rig in my face..having the canopy in my control..All easier to learn..And easier to learn for experienced people standing in front of me. I am taking it one step at a time and being as patient as came be. I also am using my tax money all for skydiving..I'm not sitting as bad as I could be..I CAN make it work and I sure as hell am going to try as hard as I can..I wish sometimes I lived in Arizona so I could train there as they are open all year round..Maybe one day..That's that " dont think to far ahead" talk right there. :)

OK, you're on to it.

But a word of warning....Don't be starstruck just because people jump out of planes. Skydivers are normal human beings, with all the normal human frailties. You'll come across all sorts, including ones whose egos are bigger than their brains. Ignore them. Plenty of arseholes in the sport.

But plenty of good people too...they are the ones that don't make a lot of noise.

Find an old time jumper, buy them a beer and pick their brains. Gold mines of information and good advice. and usually willing mentors.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

show up at the dz and stay all weekend. i started editing videos because it's a dz job and you dont have to have jump numbers to do it. it doesnt pay completely for my skyjumping addiction, but it offsets the cost somewhat. if you become a common face around the dz, when you do have the jump numbers to fly video or get ratings, people will be a lot more open to training you.

if it means enough to you, you will find a way to get it done. it might mean not going to concerts, out drinking with friends, buying that nicer car.

it is a give and take. give up somethings to make skydiving easier.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I'd just like to update those that gave me insight on what to do. I am currently at 11 jumps, doing solo jumps now. Working on saving for my own equipment now. I have been doing exactly what you said thrillstalker and it is working out well. I spend as much time at my local DZ as I can and it has paid off tremendously. Thank you everyone who posted on here and helped me and gave me motivation to continue on. You guys rock!

Good to hear. Congrats on passing your student training and figuring out a way to work this out!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Poeppe

As far as my money situation I'm lucky to break $500 each check at my job now..and staying with my dad at age 25 to try and save every penny possible..

I guess my main question in all of this is how in the hell did those of you will high amounts of jumps in so little of time accomplish this?

What helped me out is I have a career..not a job.

Rule #1 : Skydiving ain't cheap.