aphotic

Setting Goals...

Hey everyone :D

VVV tldr: watsup? VVV

When I was about 16, being a geek, and on YouTube a lot, I became aware of wing suiting. Up until my 18th birthday I couldn't lose focus on the fact that I'd always wanted to skydive and tread down that path (un-aware of its cost, xD). I had some vocational training and out of high-school was able to obtain an entry level position in IT. Now focusing on my career, I forgot about wanting to skydive.

Around May of last year, I had a friend, just turning 18, who wanted to skydive. This was the end of keeping my paycheck, lol. I started AFF in June and had my A license 1 day short of 2 months (also 1 day before turning 19). I haven't been jumping at another drop zone yet but I highly suggest CPI (Ellington, CT) to anyone. It's been an incredible learning environment, a great place to hang out, and they're a club. (uConn's skydiving team jumps here as well)

Since then I've took it easy for the winter, I got a Cookie G3, and bought 2 barely used Jumpsuits during AFF (an RW and FreeFly). I'm currently piecing together what I want for a Rig. Being at 39 jumps now, things have gone smoothly.

I have some incremental goals for the next few years.
2013 - Camp out at the DZ throughout this summer, hit 200 jumps and make my first wingsuit jump.
2014 - Focus primarily on wing-suiting but stay acquainted with all disciplines. I'd like to also attend bridge day as well as make a few other B.A.S.E. jumps.
2015 - Start to explore the world of Wingsuit B.A.S.E. and hopefully make a trip to some popular foreign wing-suit locations.

Side-Aspiration - "Land" a 1 year expatriate IT contract to live, work, and jump in Dubai.

If anyone has some tips or comments on my "plan" that'd be fantastic. Otherwise "Hi!".

Note: I'll be making a thread in the gear section on what I've come to decide upon so far for my container/canopies.

You sound focused, which is good for someone your age. Take it from someone older than you (30 something) that you are really so young and the world is your oyster. Do it now when your young, no commitments, no partner, kids, ect. Enjoy your life, you never know whats coming around the corner at any time, but you have age by your side and are at that age when you are starting to develop your adult life. Go for it and goodluck.

There's nothing wrong with setting these sorts of goals. It's better to do that than to "just jump", with no idea what you want to do.

But...
Point 1 - Make sure you don't focus so hard on the goals that you forget to enjoy the journey. There may well be a few twists and turns along the way. You may decide to change your goals at some point. Don't be so fixed on your current goals that you ignore all the other options out there.

Point 2 - Don't focus so hard on the jump numbers, make sure you develop the skills you need to safely advance.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You sound focused, which is good for someone your age. Take it from someone older than you (30 something) that you are really so young and the world is your oyster. Do it now when your young, no commitments, no partner, kids, ect. Enjoy your life, you never know whats coming around the corner at any time, but you have age by your side and are at that age when you are starting to develop your adult life. Go for it and goodluck.

I fully understand the POV you're coming from; I couldn't grasp the pace at which conventional grade school was taught. (In that it was too slow) Being ignorant and not understanding; I didn't do so well with my grades (I would ace tests, but refuse to do other work). I sometimes think how lucky I got with IT, being that it pays well. I'm using these first years to invest in the initial jumps/gear rather than school right away. (I plan to take online courses afterwards). Thanks

There's nothing wrong with setting these sorts of goals. It's better to do that than to "just jump", with no idea what you want to do.

But...
Point 1 - Make sure you don't focus so hard on the goals that you forget to enjoy the journey. There may well be a few twists and turns along the way. You may decide to change your goals at some point. Don't be so fixed on your current goals that you ignore all the other options out there.

Point 2 - Don't focus so hard on the jump numbers, make sure you develop the skills you need to safely advance.

I've kept this in mind, I think back to this past summer in a surreal way and sometimes even wish I could go back to it. I've had some good advice and the thing I remind myself most is to not get complacent. I wouldn't care about jump numbers at all if it wasn't for the minimum number in order to wing-suit; though I understand why it's a "rule". Regardless, I'm excited to learn all the disciplines; the only one that I find "unnerving" would be swooping. Even once I'm "ready", I don't know how keen I will be to try that.

-------

Thanks for the responses both of you :) Other than jumping itself, what disciplines were you initially interested in?

I wouldn't care about jump numbers at all if it wasn't for the minimum number in order to wing-suit; though I understand why it's a "rule".

In addition to wolfriverjoe's good advice, let me add....

Since you have similar interests as another young jumper, I'll copy here for you what I offered for him. Believe me, it applies to you too.
---------------------
Welcome to the Big Blue Skies, Aphotic!

Aphotic, 200 jumps to wingsuit is one thing. A very important aspect of being a safe skydiver is 'time in sport'.

You could knock out 200 jumps in a couple of months but then what do you really know about safe jumping? There is sooooo much to learn and most of it you can only learn by being there, investing the time and picking the brains of the trusted experienced jumpers.

There's a lot more to skydiving than in-air skills. Knowledge is power. Knowledge is what is going to keep you out of trouble. If you don't know the dangers, how to prevent them and how to handle them when they happen, your flying skills are unlikely to save your butt...especially at emergency procedure time.

Keep that in mind as you progress. Never, EVER sacrifice knowledge for skill. To be safe, you need the knowledge before you need the skills.

Landing zones are littered with hurt jumpers who neglected the knowledge.

Fly safe, my friend.
----------------------

PLUS: You have many resources for learning.

- Instructors
- Books
- Videos
- Experienced old-timers
- Riggers

Be proactive! Go out there, grab 'em, tie 'em down and make them teach you about all of it.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Thanks for the advice. When getting my AFF and still to this day, once I'm done jumping, I'm reluctant to leave the DZ. I like to hang around and "take in" my surroundings. Which is another reason that I love the club atmosphere of CPI. Again, thanks for your replys on both my threads.