hawyniron11

wasted day

I showed up at 7:45 am today for my aff1. went through the objectives with my instructor and was done by 8:20 am. I sat there and waited until 11:30 AM and my instructor was scheduled for another tandem jump, which would make it at least another hour before i got to jump. I got bumped 4 times, my instructor said he was sorry and told me the manager knows i'll back but the tourist doing the tandem are only visiting so they come first. Food for thought. took the day off for this jump to. The worst part is I waited 10 days for "perfect" winds that was good for a beginner learning to land.:(

That does suck....I guess you took the FJC sometime before that and just had to go back for the jump?

When I went through the FJC the class had about 5 people in it. I was the only one who got to go on that day, because the class took nearly the whole day, and it gets dark early.

They came and asked who wanted to go first and I jumped (no pun intended) at the chance.

The others in the class had to come back on a different day like it seems you did and they had a bit more trouble getting everything scheduled but the DZ still got them up.

Sorry you had a rough exp.

Yep sucks out loud !! i THINK I WOULD LOOK FOR ANOTHER DROP ZONE. I did AFF at a busy drop zone (nagambie Australia ) at easter time. ( EASTER SUNDAY 2010) lots of tandems THAT DAY OF COURSE but the manifest also made sure the Affers were catered for as well. To this day I still do not know how Louise did it but she did. (BUSY BUSY DAY)

Thanks Louise and Don
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

If you are at a small DZ what you describe is not uncommon, from what I have seen. Not right, but not uncommon.

If you have no other DZ options you might have a talk with them about doing SL or IAD training instead of AFF. If a C-182 goes up with one tandem, that leaves two slots open. A SL instructor and student can go on that load and you will get to jump. Of course if you have double tandems all day that might not work out either. A few tethered jumps and you are doing short solo freefalls. While not as exciting at AFF (maybe) it is a good way to get off the ground and into the sky.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

The bad thing is that they told you that your business didn't matter because you WILL be back. Like you didn't have a choice. I would go somewhere else if you had another DZ. The real problem will come in when you have to repeat a level because your were not current.

Pretty much the first thing I remember coming out of our ground school instructor's mouth was "This is a sport that involves a lot of waiting." It DOES get a lot easier once you get out of your early AFF jumps -- once you move down to one instructor it's a lot easier to get a jump in. Especially if your DZ only has a small plane and limited seating.

While your dropzone treated you pretty shabbily considering you took the day off, ultimately every dropzone is a business and needs to make money to pay for the shiny toys we get to play with and the salaries of the staff.

Also keep in mind that you're not dealing with an inflexible machine here either! I wouldn't be surprised if you explained your situation to the manager rationally and calmly, you might be able to negotiate a little something for your wasted effort. A free jump ticket or two or a discounted AFF jump is a small price to pay to avoid having a customer walk away totally pissed off, and most businesses should understand that.

You don't have to have time spent at the dropzone be wasted either. Get a rigger to show you how to pack. Practice putting on and getting out of a student rig and other gear under the supervision of a more experienced skydiver. Talk to other skydivers, pilots and staff. Practice your exits if they have a mock-up rig. Learn as much as you can on the ground. You never know when some little tidbit you pick up "by osmosis" might save you some time, trouble or money!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I talked to the person in charge of training at Skydive Hawaii over the phone and the impression I got was he probably was high on dope and very unprofessional . I talked to pacific intl skydive center Stephanie answered all my questions very professional, so I choose to go with Pacific intl Skydive Hawaii. unfortunately she doesn't make the manifest for the jumps.

How do you know he/she wasn't sick or something.

Instead of publicly blasting somebody on a "sounds like", at least do the honorable thing and go see for yourself.

You coming on here blasting on a "sounds like" is not cool.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

and the impression I got was he probably was high on dope

You just described half the people in skydiving. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

and the impression I got was he probably was high on dope

You just described half the people in skydiving. :P

I take exception to that!

Ummmmm...well, maybe not.
:D:D

I am going to look into attending an actual dive school to get my A license, the price and length of the course is what most concerns me. Currently I am asked to just show up early and hopefully get a jump, they let me make an appointment for the aff course, but for a fun tandem they will make an appointment. That day I have seen people show up no appointment and be put on the second or third plane. I know I have to wait my turn and usually get a jump after waiting a couple of hours.

I looked online Arizona has a skydive school with a nice package deal with lodging, course takes 10-12 days. Will definitely talk to the wife as she is doing the aff course with me!

You can't go wrong with Skydive Arizona. Highly, and I mean HIGHLY recommended.

Good luck to you and the Mrs, eh?

Question:
Has anyone mentioned the Skydiver's Information Manual (SIM) to you?

If not, I strongly recommend that you get a copy, read it and know it like the back of your hand...it's our skydiving Bible.

You can buy a hard copy from USPA or from any gear store or you can download a PDF file from USAP.org.
I always recommend both hard- and soft-copy.

Your training will be coming right directly out of that book.

Also, USPA has a "skydiving school" presentation that you will want to go through prior to training.

USPA
http://www.uspa.org/

USPA SIM
http://www.uspa.org/SIM.aspx

USPA Online Ground School
http://www.uspa.org/BecomeaSkydiver/OnlineGroundSchool/tabid/557/Default.aspx

I showed up at 7:45 am today for my aff1. went through the objectives with my instructor and was done by 8:20 am.:(

Are you exaggerating this? I don't think that is NEARLY enough time to go through all the basics, the emergency procedures, practice exits, etc... It took me five hours and I wish I had more time. Does this concern anyone else?

I showed up at 7:45 am today for my aff1. went through the objectives with my instructor and was done by 8:20 am.:(

Are you exaggerating this? I don't think that is NEARLY enough time to go through all the basics, the emergency procedures, practice exits, etc... It took me five hours and I wish I had more time. Does this concern anyone else?

The OP mentioned "waiting 10 days for the winds." That makes me think that the full FJC had already been done, and this was a pre-jump refresher brief.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I did the "ground school" 10 days prior took about 4 hours was a one on one and I read the manual from uspa a couple of times, each aff jump has a briefing and training for that jump. The instructor was very happy with my understanding of what is expected and I felt some what comfortable. This will be my fourth jump and still not to comfortable of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, but it's all good once out the door

Thanks,
I read the uspa sim before committing to taking school program so I have a good idea what's expected of me and the objectives that I need to complete to finish. I also, watched a lot of you tube aff videos good and bad to get a total picture of this journey I want to start. I don't want to waste the instructor and schools time and try to be prepared when I show up, by reading the sim manual and going over in my mind what the next aff requirement is.

I think there's a fine balance between providing you useful information and going straight to information overload. They don't want your brain to crash on the first jump. With the sensory overload, that still happens with some percentage of AFF students. Most of those are OK on their do-over once they know what to expect from the experience.

Of course, if you're ready for more, you can seek out information! The packing crew is quite helpful and approachable. They also have pretty regular packing classes, which is a great way to learn about gear. I actually wish I'd done mine while I was still in the AFF program. Ask the other skydivers what they're doing! So far no one there has yelled at me for asking questions, so jump right in!

If you feel like you need more time in the cutaway harness or want to review safety procedures, talk to your instructors or the folks in manifest. It's your life, so if you don't feel safe jumping then do what you need to do so that you do feel safe jumping!

This will be my fourth jump and still not to comfortable of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, but it's all good ounce out the door

You're not alone there! I think that all parts of your mind must be comfortable that you're going to be OK once you exit the aircraft, in order for the door to not be terrifying. Consciously you can accept that the gear will save your life, but until your subconscious accepts that this is true, it's going to try to keep you from going out that door. And the only way it has to do that is to flip the panic switches. At least this was my experience with it, and I was very much OK with climbing out and chilling on the outside of the aircraft on my AFF 4 jump (Which was like 6 or 7 jumps in.)
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

18 jumps in I can still feel a noticeable difference each time. From the load in to the ride up to the door opening to climbing out and jumping. Each time I feel a bit more relaxed. Still don't think I am on the level of the 1000 jump guys that are in the plane with my by any stretch of my imagination. But it is a lot less terrifying on jump 18 than it was on jump 1,2,3 when the pilot yells DOOR and that door swings up on the little 182 we are crammed in.

Stick with it that week long class sounds like a great idea to me!

Pretty much the first thing I remember coming out of our ground school instructor's mouth was "This is a sport that involves a lot of waiting."

There really is a lot of waiting in this sport, or at least time spent on the ground. That won't ever change. Weather, aircraft issues, big ways and tandems hogging the loads. It actually becomes part of the fun and learning when you turn the tables and realize that being on the ground is a great chance to watch and learn, listen and learn, ask questions and learn.

Some schools will crank out an A license quicker than others. In the long run you might want to accept that being on the ground has its benefits.

skydiving is an investment of both money and time, you can change the ratio between the two. Spend more money to do something in less time OR spend more time to do it in less money. I haven't found any place or solution to do it in less time for less money yet....that would be the holy grail!
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com