Cape

New member from Washington/Oregon with question....imagine that!

Long time lurker new member here.

Just a quick question regarding the AFF program.
Is there a benefit to the student to finish as soon as he can and then move on to the A course right away versus spreading it out over lets say the entire summer?

Thanks for the forum and help
Cape
"When you reach your Limits, kick him in the junk and kiss his girlfriend named Fear!"

Yes, it does actually help to be current, and knock out multiple jumps in the day. It's less of a mental effort to get back on the plane the second or third time in a day than the first. The longer you wait, the more you're going to forget from ground school and what you learned previously.

I saw a tremendous difference between my first jump of the day and the later ones. At the same time, it's not good to push yourself when you're tired. You will be using muscles you didn't even know you had, and until you're comfortable in the air you won't be using them very efficiently. A couple of times I just had to do just one more jump and ended up so tired I could barely lift my arms after I was on the ground.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Kinda what I was thinking. Kind of a bad time of year to set out on this but may just plan a trip down south and try and tie it into the beginning of the season here in the NW.
I work for the railroad so time off is not to much of a problem. Not as much as the weather out here lol.

Thanks for the info
"When you reach your Limits, kick him in the junk and kiss his girlfriend named Fear!"

Seems to be what I am hearing. I have pretty much decided I am going to line them up as close together as I can. I really only have one dz close enough to make it work and haven't really heard anything bad about them.

Thanks again for the advice. I will update my profile and this post as I progress.

Speaking of muscle memory, are there things I can do to help with that prior to starting? I am pretty active between work, the army and such but is there anything I can ad to my workout routine that may help? Certain stretches maybe?

Speaking of muscle memory, are there things I can do to help with that prior to starting?

Hey Cape! One of my instructors gave me the idea to lay on my stomach on the floor with my feet up on the couch, legs extended and slightly bent (less than 90 degrees) and press down slightly with my feet for "active pressure" on my legs.

It taught my legs what it felt like to be in that position (I bend my knees too much in free fall) and helped work on my "arch muscles" when I lifted my torso off the ground.

Just a thought, hope it helps!
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation.

Speaking of muscle memory, are there things I can do to help with that prior to starting? I am pretty active between work, the army and such but is there anything I can ad to my workout routine that may help? Certain stretches maybe?

Having a workout routine was more than I had! Heh heh heh. Sounds like you're in pretty good physical shape. I think Yoga or Tai Chi might be good companion routines for skydiving.

I bet you could find an indoor skydiving facility in Oregon or Washington. They tend to be somewhat pricey, but per minute it's less than freefall and a lot less than AFF. Some time in a windtunnel might keep you from having to repeat some AFF levels. Depends on how freaked out that big ol' planet coming up to say "hi" at 120mph gets you. If you can ignore that and fly like you do in the tunnel, you'd be in pretty good shape for AFF.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Speaking of muscle memory, are there things I can do to help with that prior to starting?

Hey Cape! One of my instructors gave me the idea to lay on my stomach on the floor with my feet up on the couch, legs extended and slightly bent (less than 90 degrees) and press down slightly with my feet for "active pressure" on my legs.

It taught my legs what it felt like to be in that position (I bend my knees too much in free fall) and helped work on my "arch muscles" when I lifted my torso off the ground.

Just a thought, hope it helps!

Well it can't hurt to try. I have a pretty good stretching routine but will add it to the mix!

Having a workout routine was more than I had! Heh heh heh. Sounds like you're in pretty good physical shape. I think Yoga or Tai Chi might be good companion routines for skydiving.

I bet you could find an indoor skydiving facility in Oregon or Washington. They tend to be somewhat pricey, but per minute it's less than freefall and a lot less than AFF. Some time in a windtunnel might keep you from having to repeat some AFF levels. Depends on how freaked out that big ol' planet coming up to say "hi" at 120mph gets you. If you can ignore that and fly like you do in the tunnel, you'd be in pretty good shape for AFF.

Well the army demands I stay in shape lol!
At 41 I am in the best shape I have been in since I left basic training in the summer of 90. As for indoor, ifly in Seattle is the closest. May make a drive up there for a weekend soon and kill two birds with one stone, ifly and seafood!

Skydive Oregon is the closest and those that I have talked to speak highly of it. Planning on starting early spring and getting though it as soon as I can. Would like to get my A before the end of the summer with time to enjoy it before the weather changes.