interstella

First jump & I'm hooked!

Hello everyone!

I did my first jump (tandem) a few weeks ago over at Z-Hills and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind!

Funny thing, I didn't even plan on going for a jump! It was my older brother's 25th birthday and I didn't know I was jumping until that morning when he told me he'd booked a jump for the both of us. I had an absolutely fantastic time and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a week :)

Sadly though, my jumps are going to be months in between because I'm a full-time college student [:/]

In any case, I'm going to go for a second tandem sometime during December/January with a friend and I am so excited! And if my second tandem is as terrific as my first one, I'm definitely going to try AFF 1 for my 21st birthday, and maybe end up doing the entire course when I have a break from classes over the summer.

I've told my parents about how I feel about & taking up skydiving and it's funny how different their reactions are; my dad is pretty much positive about it (he even wants to try a tandem on my 21st!) but my mom is another story... She doesn't understand why I don't just pursue a "safer and more lady-like" hobby :D

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello! :)
Anyone else have any experiences in dealing with a worried mother (I'd love some advice) and their own AFF journey?

Glad to hear you enjoyed your first jump. I was high for about 3 weeks after my first tandem back in November. Started my AFF in March and havent looked back. Some parts of the AFF were not super fun like the Tandem and a bit of hard work at times. (can be difficult) I havent been a natural. But kept at it and can see huge improvements from my AFF to now and I still have really low jump numbers.

I would say if you can do it then go for it. It has changed my life and I just wish I had of done it when I was younger and first thought about it. I try to talk everyone I know into doing it :)

I cant comment on talking parents around but I think if they see how much fun you have with it they will come around. I think that although there is a dangerous element to the sport, if you do things right and take your time it can be extremely safe.

Good luck with your journey into this wonderful world.

my mom wasn't too happy about it either, so I've told her; please understand if I'm going camping, I'm jumping out of planes. then you, mom, don't have to hear that one word that scares you and thrills me, 'skydiving'! after a few camping trips she is good with skydiving now.
it's the truth made palatable for moms! loves mom and wants her to live long and happy too!
Anyone can swim, only a few swim well.
Anyone can skydive, everyone can skydive well. Practice!

Anyone else have any experiences in dealing with a worried mother (I'd love some advice) and their own AFF journey?

Bring her out to the DZ. Let her watch 100 or so jumps. Maybe even talk her into a tandem.

Also, why don't you skip the tandem and spend the money on AFF? Z Hills is a great place to learn.

First of all welcome.

Second of all, if you thought your tandem was amazing wait until you start doing AFF. For me my AFF is at least 10 times more fun than my tandem was.

Third of all, this mother thing. That's a very tough one, every time my mom finds out I went/going/planning to go skydiving she freaks whether she finds out through me, my sister, or whatever. I'm 28 years old and I still have her calling me telling me to think about what I'm doing every time I leave my place to drive up to the DZ. I've invited her to the DZ plenty of times but she doesn't bulge. So if you find a solution let me know haha, the way I have accepted it is that my mother will always be worried. When my dad found out he was like: Oh cool be careful and have fun. My mom on the other hand hah, no luck.

Thanks! I can't wait to try out AFF over the summer -- but it's MONTHS away!

Haha, I've been talking to everyone I know about trying a tandem and getting them into it as well! So far, about 5 of my friends said that they'd be willing to try it, but the larger majority of them would rather try indoor skydiving first :P

She actually came out to watch my first tandem! And she had a blast watching my jump video. Thing is, she thought it was more of a "She's going to do it once, get it out of her system, and never do it again" kind of thing. Unfortunately, she never thought about the other outcome of me actually wanting to do it again (and again and again..)

The chances of her doing a tandem is probably 0. She's deathly afraid of heights, but enjoyed all watching all the canopies in the sky!

And the reason I'm doing the second tandem is actually because of my mom; her deal was that I do a second tandem and see if I still like it and then try AFF over next summer when I'm 21. Also because I'd be pressed for time (for the ground school part) since holidays are pretty busy in my family.

Thank you and I can't wait to start AFF! Did you just start your AFF or have you already finished it?

Haha, my parents' reaction was similar to yours! My dad's pretty enthused about it. Mothers are just another story, I guess. She's said that she's willing to come out to the DZ for all my jumps though, so I suppose that's a step in the right direction! :D