textandstage

New to the sport, living in NYC. Advice?

Hey Everyone,

I just got into the sport/community, I took my AFF 1 and 2 dives while visiting home in California this past week (I went to Skydive Perris). I just got back to NYC (where I now live) and I'm incredibly excited to finish up my AFFs and start work towards my A license. I know that Skydive Long Island does AFF training, and weather permitting, I'm going to jump there tomorrow (I was going to jump today, but there was too much cloud cover, wind, and the possibility of rain....). I was wondering what other outlets there are in the area for skydiving. Are there any windtunnels that are accessible from the city? Are there other things I can do in or around the city to train when actual jumps aren't an option? For that matter, are there bars or other locations that skydivers hangout where I can further engage with the sport? Basically, I'm completely hooked, I can't stop thinking about diving, and I'm looking for ways to increase it's role in my life. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you all soon!

First off welcome to the sport and the area! I jump at Skydive The Ranch but SDLI is a good DZ too. The closest wind tunnel is in New Hampshire, its about 4 hours from the city. Theres a bar in the seaport area called Nelson Blue, the owner is a skydiver and often hosts gatherings for skydivers. As far as workouts go , a lot of people rock climb to stay in shape not to mention any other of 1000s of things there are to do in the city! Good luck
Wait , I pull what first?

Hey Guys thanks for the responses. I've heard great things about The Ranch, and I look forward to diving there once I'm licensed. It's my understanding that in order for my current progression in AFF to carry over, I need to complete my training somewhere that does AFF (I think I read that Skydive The Ranch does an IAF program that requires tandem jumps, which I'd like to avoid...),which is why I chose SDLI. I was also wondering at what point skydiving shuts down for the winter on the east coast (it seems that the season is year round in CA...). What are the nearest DZs that don't shut down?

welcome! i jump at the ranch too, you will love it :) season starts slowing down october-nov.. but the random warmish days Nov-Mar bring some people out to make a jump or two. most north east birds travel south in the winter :| i think skys the limit in PA stays open all year round..
last year at the ranch we jumped the day after thanksgiving, new years day, a couple days in feb, and some others too. it was a strange strange winter here :) good luck!

Hey Revvy,

Thanks for the info. I checked out STL this past weekend and loved it. They had a wonderful vibe and the instruction staff made me feel really safe. I'm going to finish up my AFF there, but I'm still looking forward to checking out SDLI and The Ranch once I'm on self-supervised status. I'm just incredibly stoked that there's such a vibrant community out here. Can't wait to explore it all! Thanks for the welcome, hopefully see you around the various area DZs soon!

-Daniel

Glad you found a home you are comfortable with, Daniel! I'll look forward to meeting you one day. Look at my profile pic and you will see how readily I tend to stand out in a skydiving crowd! :P

BTW, in another life I was an unemployed actress. One of the SDLI rookies does television and movie production. This is information with no point. Just sayin' ...

Hey Guys thanks for the responses. I've heard great things about The Ranch, and I look forward to diving there once I'm licensed. It's my understanding that in order for my current progression in AFF to carry over, I need to complete my training somewhere that does AFF (I think I read that Skydive The Ranch does an IAF program that requires tandem jumps, which I'd like to avoid...),which is why I chose SDLI. I was also wondering at what point skydiving shuts down for the winter on the east coast (it seems that the season is year round in CA...). What are the nearest DZs that don't shut down?

I thought that I heard it mentioned that if you start at a USPA DZ, then you should be able to continue at any USPA DZ. You may want to call The Ranch to find out if they can help you.

SDLI closes for the season in November. The Ranch is open all year, provided the runway is clear of ice and snow.

I call The Ranch my home DZ, but have been to SDLI a few times. Great times at both DZs.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.