Mild_Matt

Another Newbie

Hey hey - off to do my AFF at Freefall University Spain in about 10 days. Absolutely buzzing about it! Wanted to do this for ages, never really had the chance. Circumstances this year have given me that and I can't wait!

Any tips? I'm, perhaps weirdly, not at all concerned about the jumping out of a plane thing (I rock climb, falling isn't anything new although this type of falling kinda is...) I'm more worried about piloting and landing a canopy to be honest... Sure all will go well though. Hope I love it as much as I expect and keep jumping!

Thanks guys, really looking forward to it and hope enjoy it enough to keep jumping! Yeah, radio assistance is what I'm very much looking forward to with the learning canopy piloting thing. Glad you had a blast there Kent (I read a review of somebody jumping with their son, presumably you, which helped me decide where to jump when I was lurking!) I'm sure it'll be fantastic :)

I'm more worried about piloting and landing a canopy to be honest... !

I was the exact same way - which is what prompted me to do 8 (yes, 8 :$) tandems prior to AFF. I wanted to make sure I was comfortable under canopy.

What really helps me is reviewing the landing pattern over and over and over before my jumps - finding out where my "play area" should be, and when/how to set up my landing pattern. Just makes me more comfortable. I had a radio during the first few AFF jumps, but never wanted to rely on it in case it didn't work.
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation.

Haha! I was supposed to do a tandem, bought one for a mate's 40th and said I'd do it too. The great British summer cancelled it twice due to crap weather. The plan was always do that, see if I enjoy it, then go to learn to do it for real. But since I didn't get that chance, just decided to do it!

Well, I went to Spain, I wasn't exactly a natural! My arch wasn't great, I struggled a bit and stalled at Level 5. Tried it three times but couldn't hook up stability and both 360 degree turns. Hey ho.

I absolutely loved it. Always found the ride to altitude nervy but basically everything else was simply superb. Planning to head back early next year to try and progress after some wind tunnel time to work on my arch and practice controlled rotation.

The one thing I was worried most about was canopy work. Now I'm back I realise that's easy under a massive canopy. That was the bit I was actually good at! Pretty much stuck most of my landings which was a minor source of pleasure.

Have to say everyone at FFU were brilliant. Lots of support, 'tough love' when needed. Can't recommend them highly enough! Basically I can't wait to get back. I climb and stuff, albeit I'm not very good, but nothing even compares to the buzz of this!

I'm not sure anyone started out as exactly a natural. Your ability to fly gets better over time.

Flying the canopy is pretty easy. They're so not-worried about it in the AFF courses here, they slap a radio on you and chuck you out of an airplane. I usually found it better to not listen to the radio for the most part.

Take a canopy course as soon as you can, it'll really refine your abilities under canopy. You'll be less likely to make simple mistakes, and the skills you learn there could save your life some time. I've found myself using everything I've learned in the canopy course, and intend to retake it once I get my own gear.

Experienced jumpers tell me you never completely stop being nervous on the plane. Most of my nervousness evaporated once I got reasonably confident in my gear. I mean really, worst possible thing that could happen there is you might fall out of the plane early, and you were going to do that anyway, right? If you're confident your gear will keep you safe, falling out of the plane at any point really isn't a big deal.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?