KATO33

? about rigging ethics

Recently I dropped My rig in for a repack. The rigger noticed My AAD batteries were up for replacement.
He pointed it out to me but didn't ask if I wanted to buy new batteries. Also I didn't indicate that I didn't want new batteries.
My plan was to not replace thje batteries because I was low on funds and that weekend was the only weekend I was going to be able to jump for a long time anyway(read I was going to risk jumping without a AAD that Weekend).
When igot my rig back and seen that the batteries had benn replaced and I was charged for them I was a little puzzled. I thought riggers won't do any work that you don't ask for. or is replacing worn batteries a requirement of a riggers duty? I dwas thinking it wasn't because we can legally Jump without an AAD.

P.S. I didn't make a big stink about it because like I said I didn't specify that I didn't want the batteries and I was going to get them replaced just at some
other time.

Blue Skies Black Death

Part 105 states:

"(c) If installed, the automatic activation device must be maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions for that automatic activation device."

Your rigger could remove the AAD and re-pack it or replace the batteries and re-pack it. They cannot re-pack it w/ out-of-date batteries. Since you didn't tell him to remove it, they assumed you wanted the batteries replaced.

Derek

The rigger informed you that the battery replacement was due.

You did not request him to delay the replacement, or else you would have been informed that he would need to remove the AAD in order to comply with your request. The AAD must be maintainer per mfg instructions.

No ethical dilemma.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

You can legally jump without an AAD.

You cannot legally jump with an AAD requiring maintenance or service. Your choice is to have the AAD removed, or have the service done.

IMHO, your rigger did the ethical thing: absent other instructions, he made sure your rig was as ready to jump as it could be.

Mark

Recently I dropped My rig in for a repack.

Also I didn't indicate that I didn't want new batteries.

I think you answered your own question.

Quit busting your riggers balls. It's an under appreciated job.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The owner of the AAD, can replace the power supply. Only, a rigger can Inspect and Re-pack the reserve, close the container with the AAD in it. All the answers to your questions, should be in the Cypres Owners Book.;)

Chuck

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hee! Hee!
Skydivers ask me all the time if they can save a penny or two by installing their own Cypres.
Sure an owner can replace the batteries or even install a Cypres, but by the time I have removed the Cypres far enough to ensure that the work was done correctly, it takes me as much time as if I had done all the work myself.
You may call me a grumpy old grey beard, but I refuse to sign off any work until I have had a good look at it.

What you said! I'm the same way. I take a good look at the way the Cypres was installed... even if, I was the one who installed it. I'm SURE gonna look at it real close if someone else did it, especially a 'non' rigger. I've changed power supplies in Cypres and found where the battery was put-in backward, cables routed incorrectly, etc. That is why, I don't charge for installing Cypres or the power supplies. Put me on the list of 'Grumpy Old Farts'. It's my job, man!

Chuck