intotheblue

To Drop or Not to Drop

Hi , Is 30 to old to begin this sport? Most seem to be pros by 30 or ready to retire. Also I am NOT an adrenaline junkie, Im actually reserved shy timid. But Im drawn to this sport by the spectacular beauty and sensation of flying and freedom. Iv heard many say to be successful you cant fear death, but I do fear death, I also want to live my life. I work in a hospital and perform well under pressure I stay calm in the storm when others freak out, But I have yet to make vital decisions when facing my own possible demise so I dont know how I will react if something were to take a turn for the worst.Id love to be able to fly in a wing suit one day, it just seems magical. However I know dreaming about something and the realities of actually doing it are too totally different things. I feel Iv seen every you tube skydiving and base jumping and wingsuit flying video there is,all The fatalities and all the successful amazing jumps to. I have lived my life admiring those who have the courage to live theirs.I supose to have the ultimate experience you must be willing to pay the ultimate price.Id hate to leave this world without this experience but I dont want it to be my last either. Iv read all the statistics and I know I could die from anything everyday at any moment. I suppose I am looking for a little encouragement to make my first jump because deep down I know Ill love it. But its difficult to ignore that little voice that says what if its the last thing I ever do and How terrified Id be if something went wrong. Im tired of being scared to live my life. Scared to drop in on big waves, scared to ride my new motorcycle above 15 miles an hour lol. This sport seems so Beautiful and spectacular. Im looking for support friends real words of encouragment, stories of first jumps. Advice. What if Im not the personality type for this, Im not a thrill seeker per say. Please be kind and Thank you for your help. Oh and Id love to Hallo dive to or dive around the world like in front of Mt Everest, China, Heavens Gates. But again its a dream.........How many people out there are as scared as I am vs people out there who arnt scared at all who have been successful at this sport. Idd like to make my first jump this October on my birthday but I dont know if Im ready, I dont want to wait till Im to old either because if I really like it I wont be able to really pursue it. Well thanks again :)

hi.

1) its totally normal to be scared and fear death. im sure a lot, if not most, skydivers do fear death. its what keeps us from getting complacent.

2) there are plenty of people who learn to skydive in their 30's. you really gotta have your shit together financially to be in this sport because its very expensive - not every 20 year old can manage that.

3) for the love of god.. please use paragraphs when you type a wall of text.

4) there are people from different walks of earth with different personality types in this sport. we can't just tell you whether you can be a skydiver by reading one post. truth is, you have to make that decision for yourself by going out there and doing it. you only live once, you can use that as a reason to jump off an airplane, or you can use that as an excuse to live a safe and comfortable lifestyle - the decision is up to you.

Hi,

I started last October just after my 40th birthday. My girlfriend started at the same time, she was 49.

Age is no barrier.

As for the fear, yeah, I was a little scared, it's natural and in fact, now that I have 140 jumps, I think if I didn't have the occasional butterfly, I'd think I was too complacent.

Give it a go.

Juz

If you look at the stats from the USPA at http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/MembershipSurveys/memsurvey10.pdf, they've got the age breakdown of their membership (most American skidivers).

16–30 ........................................... 24%
31–39 ........................................... 29%
40–49 ........................................... 23%
50–59 ........................................... 16%
60+ .................................................. 8%

As you can see less than 1/4 of skydivers are under the age of 30. I myself am just getting back into the sport at the age of 32. I wouldn't let age be any kind of blocker for you.

No. 30 isn't too old. Lots of folks started older than that. (I was 37 FWIW)

Many of the people I know aren't "adreneline junkies." They are "drawn to this sport by the spectacular beauty and sensation of flying and freedom." (nicely put BTW :)
If you aren't scared, then either something is wrong with you or you don't understand the risks involved. There is real risk in this sport.
BUT... Proper training, gear selection and behaviors can go a long, long way to reduce that risk.

And for all of us, the risk is worth the reward.

There's this Duck that's gone through training and got her license. You might want to read her story to see someone who has gone through it.
It's the best answer to the question of "What is it like to jump?" that I've seen.

And Don'tlikemustard was right. Paragraphs and double spacing make longer posts far more readable.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Don't let age be the determining factor as to whether or not you should jump! I can guarantee you one thing: you choose to jump; you'll have an amazing time. I've yet to see or hear of someone coming down from a tandem and not having enjoyed the jump! After that you can decide whether or not you want to pursue this as a sport. :)

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

No my friend, 30 is not too old for Skydiving. I thought that too for a bit, I just started and I'm 28 but I was told it's not even close.

As for the fear part, my take on it, is if you're not scared to some extent then there is something wrong with you. After all you ARE jumping out of an airplane 15000 feet high, at least in the beginning. I believe it's fear what keeps you alive. It makes you want to learn more and learn properly, it makes you be cautious and reasonable. Having a bit of fear is a good thing believe me.

As I said I'm new to the sport as well, loving every second of it but I would be lying if I said I'm not scared. I am and there is nothing wrong with that. Butterflies and everything are still around and that makes every jump so much more beautiful in my opinion.

To drop or not to drop? Well man the decision is yours obviously, but skydiving is one of the most beautiful and amazing things I have ever experienced. The second I jumped my first time I knew this is for me, I knew this is where I belong and for me it's worth it. I understand and know the risks that come with the sport, I just don't let them stand in my way and try my best to prevent them.

I started last year (age 54) after viewing many wing suit clips and remembering how many times in my life I wished about skydiving. The pivotal moment was when my 77 year old mother said, “Life is getting a lot harder. If there is something you want to do, do it while you still feel healthy enough to enjoy it.” I was booking my first jump course soon after that day.

I am a bit of a thrill seeker but surprisingly skydiving is not all that “thrilling” for me. Maybe as a younger person it might have been. It is focus, do a good job, learn, and have fun. Maybe I ran out of WoooHooos some years ago. Free fall is loud. Seeing clouds "from both sides now" changes your view of the sky. Canopy flight is where you can really enjoy the beauty of the surroundings. I do expect that when the day comes, my first wing suit jump will be full of excitement.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

30 !!! I have got underpants older than that!!! Go for it I vote for you to drop.. at least try it once !!

I made a brief return to jumping at 51 !!

Go for it girl !!

I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

Please. 30? I am a female and I started a year ago one month before my 56th birthday. I agree with a previous post - stop talking about it and just go to the DZ this weekend and do it. Once you've had your first tandem you'll understand the feeling. Then do your second tandem right away so you can actually comprehend what just happened without being so overwhelmed by the sensory overload. After the tandems, that's when you may want to do your thinking ... Have fun!! It's supposed to be fun!