Weeb

New from central KY

I did my first tandem jump a little over two weeks ago at startskydiving in Middletown, OH. Needless to say, I haven't been able to stop thinking about jumping again ever since. I have been researching all I can find and plan to move forward with AFF as soon as I have the funds worked out, which shouldn't be too long from now.

Startskydiving was awesome and everyone I met seemed super cool, but there are two DZs closer to me (Lexington): Jumping for Fun and skydive KY. I'll probably at least go check these places out before making a decision but welcome any opinions out there on how well these places handle a newb like me in AFF.

Also, I feel like this sport would be a perfect compliment to the world of white water that I love so much... jump when it's sunny, paddle when it rains!

On a side note, is anyone familiar with appalachain amusement center: http://www.verticalwind.com/aac.html

I drive by this place frequently in my kayak travels. Would it be worth my time to get some tunnel time at this place prior to starting AFF or should I wait until I get some formal instruction from an AFF instructor? I'm in to whatever is best to help me get my A license.

Thanks for any info, can't wait to get moving on this!

Hey,
I'm currently in the last few stages of my AFF and in West Tennessee. May try Lexington after I get my A. One of the staff at our DZ was talking to me about tunnels ( I'm going to Paraclete the this weekend) said the outdoor tunnel in Waynesville was great and the staff were very helpful.
I'll probably try to make it out there in a couple of months to try it out. Give me a shout and maybe me and a few others from the DZ will meet you there.
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"

On a side note, is anyone familiar with appalachain amusement center: http://www.verticalwind.com/aac.html

I drive by this place frequently in my kayak travels. Would it be worth my time to get some tunnel time at this place prior to starting AFF or should I wait until I get some formal instruction from an AFF instructor? I'm in to whatever is best to help me get my A license.

Thanks for any info, can't wait to get moving on this!

I hit that place in 2005 while on level 4 AFF. Did more harm than good.

Look for an indoor tunnel.
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

Welcome to the forums! :)As far as going to the tunnel, you can if you want but thousands of skydivers have made it through AFF just fine without tunnel training.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanks for the replies and info everyone!

BKS60: Awesome to hear about your AFF, glad it is going well! I am both excited and a little nervous to get mine started. My original post may have been a little confusing the way it was worded. There aren't any DZs actually in Lexington, that is where I live myself. The closest one I know of is jumping for fun in lebanon, kY about an hour west of here. Although startskydiving was pretty sweet, it is ~2.5 hours away so saving 3 hours round trip would be nice if that works out.

The Don: That is what I was worried about, I'd hate to learn bad form only to have to correct it later. I'll probably just wait until I start AFF and get advice from my instructor.

Skymama: Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to being part of the community!

General question, when looking at DZs for AFF, should the type of aircraft be a factor on where I choose to go? The two closest DZs have Cesna 182s and the one I did my tandem at has a Cessna 206, and a Cessna 208 Caravan. Not sure if the type of plane should be considered for learning or if as long as im jumping its all good.