Kalrigan

New and in love.

So after a long time of postponing Skydiving I finally decided to forget about everything and get my first tandem. It was absolutely amazing and I'm totally in love. The second I landed I made a new goal for myself. I wanna jump alone and experience it all alone. So here I am, signed up for the forums and time to get educated by the pros. I've done a lot of crazy adrenaline stuff in my life, but nothing comes close to skydiving and I just love it. I wish someone opened my eyes earlier in my life, oh well I guess it's better late than never. It's time to take courses, just gotta read up on where to start.

You'll love it! The AFF courses are so much fun!!

Remember to take everything you read in forums with a grain of salt. Always take the word of your instructors and ask lots of different instructors!

Welcome! :)
I refuse to accept a mediocre life...

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

You'll love it! The AFF courses are so much fun!!

Remember to take everything you read in forums with a grain of salt. Always take the word of your instructors and ask lots of different instructors!

Welcome! :)

Thank you.
Grain of salt you say? Will do. So AFF is a better way to go than Graduall Freefal Progression?

Depends on what You want! There are pro's and con's to both means of learning. Chat to your instructors - ask every question you can think off, (no such thng as a stupid question!), listen and then decide based on your requirements and needs - cover thngs like cost, availability of instructors, likelihood of getting "dropped" at lower altitude versus a full load going high (and is there a cost difference), are you more likely to want a video record of your training? (not sure about video on SL??), etc. But remember, this is your choice - based on what you want! Most of all, enjoy it, have fun, buy beer for your instructors (most important!! lol)

Depends on what You want! There are pro's and con's to both means of learning. Chat to your instructors - ask every question you can think off, (no such thng as a stupid question!), listen and then decide based on your requirements and needs - cover thngs like cost, availability of instructors, likelihood of getting "dropped" at lower altitude versus a full load going high (and is there a cost difference), are you more likely to want a video record of your training? (not sure about video on SL??), etc. But remember, this is your choice - based on what you want! Most of all, enjoy it, have fun, buy beer for your instructors (most important!! lol)

I see, alright thank you for the information. I'll chat it up with them.

If you loved tandem (and you did) wait for AFF. I loved the feeling of steering and landing by myself (although talked thru over radio)

A grand adventure awaits.. enjoy !!!
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

I couldn't think of a better way to describe it myself.

I'm completely in love with skydiving too... just ask my ex.

You suffered AIDS, eh?
Altitude Induced Divorce Syndrome?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Just booked my first AFF class. So excited but also pretty nervous heh, not sure what to expect. Any advice for my first one?

One more question, the class starts at 10am, what's the advice on eating prior to the class/jumps?

Listen, learn, and ask questions if you don't understand something. There's a boatload of info you are going to be barraged with in a fairly short period of time. Make sure you understand it.

DO NOT under any circumstances say "But they said on DZ.com..."

Staying fed and hydrated is vital. Don't eat a lot or anything really heavy/greasy, but make sure you eat. Having something in your stomach is better than nothing. And if you are starved, you won't be able to focus on what you are doing. And make sure you drink. You don't say where you are, but it's summer and pretty hot in a lot of places. The gear (jumpsuit and rig) will make you sweat. Dehydration will sneak up on you before you realize it. And the last place you want to realize that you are about to pass out from heat exhaustion is in the plane.

And don't forget to have fun. :)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Just booked my first AFF class. So excited but also pretty nervous heh, not sure what to expect. Any advice for my first one?

One more question, the class starts at 10am, what's the advice on eating prior to the class/jumps?

Listen, learn, and ask questions if you don't understand something. There's a boatload of info you are going to be barraged with in a fairly short period of time. Make sure you understand it.

DO NOT under any circumstances say "But they said on DZ.com..."

Staying fed and hydrated is vital. Don't eat a lot or anything really heavy/greasy, but make sure you eat. Having something in your stomach is better than nothing. And if you are starved, you won't be able to focus on what you are doing. And make sure you drink. You don't say where you are, but it's summer and pretty hot in a lot of places. The gear (jumpsuit and rig) will make you sweat. Dehydration will sneak up on you before you realize it. And the last place you want to realize that you are about to pass out from heat exhaustion is in the plane.

And don't forget to have fun. :)

I'm in Toronto, sorry should have probably stated that in my first post, but yeah it's pretty hot this summer.

1) Listen.
2) Ask questions.
3) Never mention teh intranetz.

Got it, thank you.

As for food/drink, I drink a lot of water. That's pretty much all I drink except the occasional cup of tea. No soda, no nothing, just water so I'll be ok for hydration I think. I'll make sure I grab a few bottles with me though.
Would having 2 croissants in the morning be ok? I get there at 9 to sign paperwork, class starts at 10. Probably what 5-6 hours class before the jump? Hhmmm

Would having 2 croissants in the morning be ok? I get there at 9 to sign paperwork, class starts at 10. Probably what 5-6 hours class before the jump? Hhmmm

Is that going to be enough? To make it through an entire day of learning? Stressful mentally and taxing physically.

I usually eat a big breakfast and pack a lunch if I'm going to be there all day.

Snacks to nibble on (nuts, chips, granola bars, ect.) maybe a sandwich or something similar.
Does the DZ have a snack bar or restaraunt?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

Is that going to be enough? To make it through an entire day of learning? Stressful mentally and taxing physically.

I usually eat a big breakfast and pack a lunch if I'm going to be there all day.

Snacks to nibble on (nuts, chips, granola bars, ect.) maybe a sandwich or something similar.
Does the DZ have a snack bar or restaraunt?

Says they have a lounge and a kitchen for snacks and stuff. Either way that's no biggie, I can always bring my own. I'm scared to eat/drink just so I don't get the feeling that I need to go to the bathroom right when I'm about to jump haha. Should probably go with a big breakfast like you said, since I'm there for the whole day pretty much.

When I did AFF we took 3-4 breaks in the 6 hours and there was bathrooms close and outhouse right by the plane! I didn't jump the same day because of winds. Went a few days later and was really able absorbed all that info. It's fun stuff, enjoy! What other sports have you done or do?

When I did AFF we took 3-4 breaks in the 6 hours and there was bathrooms close and outhouse right by the plane! I didn't jump the same day because of winds. Went a few days later and was really able absorbed all that info. It's fun stuff, enjoy! What other sports have you done or do?

I'll definitely enjoy it, I can feel it. Even though I'm nervous as hell right now I definitely feel the excitement as well. What are the AFF classes anyway? Am I able to take notes and shit or is it all physical?

Sports in general? Well I played soccer and aggressive inline skating competitively. Done some snowboarding, motorcrossing, and some Jet Skiing not competitively but quite frequently.

I'll definitely enjoy it, I can feel it. Even though I'm nervous as hell right now I definitely feel the excitement as well. What are the AFF classes anyway? Am I able to take notes and shit or is it all physical?

Sports in general? Well I played soccer and aggressive inline skating competitively. Done some snowboarding, motorcrossing, and some Jet Skiing not competitively but quite frequently.

At my DZ when I did AFF we started the classroom at 7:30am and finished at 8pm.... It was brutal... then we got weathered out two days in a row and didn't get to jump until day 3! Needless to say we were raring to go after that! lol
I refuse to accept a mediocre life...

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

At my DZ when I did AFF we started the classroom at 7:30am and finished at 8pm.... It was brutal... then we got weathered out two days in a row and didn't get to jump until day 3! Needless to say we were raring to go after that! lol

Jesus christ that's a long class. Dear lord I think I'd die.

I don't know about your particular DZ, but most FJCs I'm familiar with combine video and instructor presentation for the information, and add in hands on for the equipment (you get to touch a real parachute :P), and then real practice of the exit sequence (you usually use a mock up of the door, often a piece of an old, real airplane) arch position (you lay on the ground and arch), pull motions (on the ground in the arch position) canopy flight controls and emergency procedures (they often have a hanging harness, an old, real parachute harness hanging from the ceiling that you use to simulate being under an open canopy). The classroom part is like any other class, except that instead of calculus or ancient Greece, you are studying how to successfully jump from a plane. Notes, Q&A, a quiz at the end, all that. The hands on and practice stuff is the physical part.

I don't know about your particular DZ, but most FJCs I'm familiar with combine video and instructor presentation for the information, and add in hands on for the equipment (you get to touch a real parachute :P), and then real practice of the exit sequence (you usually use a mock up of the door, often a piece of an old, real airplane) arch position (you lay on the ground and arch), pull motions (on the ground in the arch position) canopy flight controls and emergency procedures (they often have a hanging harness, an old, real parachute harness hanging from the ceiling that you use to simulate being under an open canopy). The classroom part is like any other class, except that instead of calculus or ancient Greece, you are studying how to successfully jump from a plane. Notes, Q&A, a quiz at the end, all that. The hands on and practice stuff is the physical part.

Sounds very interesting, looking forward to it. What makes me nervous is the long class that's full of information to grasp and then a jump right after that but all is good, I'll enjoy every second of it.

as a PFF I and TM working in Canada I would tell you to get on with it. Tandem is a training aid but it isn't the real thing. You have done a tandem, liked it and want to do more so jump right in and learn. We take you through ground school and will work with you through all your jumps and provide you the information you need to be a competent skydiver.

Best of luck,

Dave

What makes me nervous is the long class that's full of information to grasp and then a jump right after that.

To put that in perspective, the class is long to help you and make sure you have grasped that information before you jump. So although there is quite a lot to learn, much of the course duration will be taken up with reinforcement, repetition and practice.

Did my first PFF on Saturday and it felt great. I feel like I finally found what's been missing in my life, I feel like this is where I belong and want to continue doing this for as long as I can. The class wasn't as hectic as I expected, and MikeJD you were right it's a lot of repetition for a good reason. I enjoyed every second of it.
Thank you all for the advice, help, and support. I will keep updating as I will be going back for more this weekend, hell might even be tomorrow if Skydive Toronto calls me back and tells me both of their PFF instructors are available tomorrow.

hell might even be tomorrow if Skydive Toronto calls me back and tells me both of their PFF instructors are available tomorrow.

Even if the instructors aren't there you can go and watch and absorb anyway. Never hurts to watch people packing before learning how to do it on your own.

You tend to see interesting shit there even if you're not jumping. Last week we saw a glider have an emergency landing at the DZ. The funny thing the closest glider port is 20 miles away. Talk about landing out!

hell might even be tomorrow if Skydive Toronto calls me back and tells me both of their PFF instructors are available tomorrow.

Even if the instructors aren't there you can go and watch and absorb anyway. Never hurts to watch people packing before learning how to do it on your own.

You tend to see interesting shit there even if you're not jumping. Last week we saw a glider have an emergency landing at the DZ. The funny thing the closest glider port is 20 miles away. Talk about landing out!

Hhmm, great point. Maybe I'll do that since I won't be going to work so won't have else to do.