runDMsef

Private party shipping advice

I have decided to buy used gear from someone in the classifieds section. This transaction has been "in the works" for well over a month. During this time, I have had to:

- Determine exactly what his gear was (no, there is no PD 180 reserve, try again)
- Waiting for his rigger to do the repack
- Waiting for the Cypres maintenece to be completed (took a little over the 2 weeks)
- Putting up with his instances of "dissapearing" (meaning emails would go unanswered for awhile).
- Deal with him trying to raise the price by 20% near the end of the deal.

After all of this, we have decided on a price and agreed to a "half money before I get the gear, half after my rigger OK's it" transaction. Well, once again, he's changed his mind last minute. He wants me to send all of my money before he sends the gear. He claims this is because "my gear is worth a lot of money" and "you spoke to my rigger, and you know the gear is good. All I know about you is your name, phone number and email". I understand his concern, but all I know of him is his name and email (and riggers name).

Normally I wouldn’t distrust an online transaction like this, but he has made me skeptical. What if he gets my money and decides he wants to raise the price again, or do another disappearing act? Does anyone suggest a way we can go ahead with this transaction while protecting both parties? Perhaps his rigger can send the gear to my rigger, and I’ll send the money when my rigger OK’s (instead of him sending it to me directly)? I’m not sure if I should just send the money and cross my fingers. After all, I don’t know this person any more than he knows me.

~run

Please update your profile, including your home DZ.

The normal process in this sort of deal is for him to mail the gear to a neutral third party (rigger, DZO, major dealer) near you.
Once the third party has written a report attesting to the condition of the gear, then you mail a check to the seller.
As a rigger, I have acted as middle man in hundreds of similar transactions.

Have him send the gear directly to *your* DZ. You will not need to send half the money, if he needs you to send money for shipping than so be it. Your rigger or DZO is now responsible for that gear, so (s)he sure as hell isn't going to let you walk away without paying. There is also a verifiable name that is receiving the gear. This is pretty standard procedure. Do understand that unless he grossly misdescribed the gear, then you are responsible for shipping both ways if you don't like it.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Please update your profile, including your home DZ.

Sorry about that. I live in Maryland but my home DZ is Cross Keys in NJ. I have spoken to the DZ's master rigger (Mark Kruse) about making this transaction. I think it is a great idea to propose this mehtod. I'll let you know how the seller responds.

~run

Hi, I don't know if we've met yet but I jump at CK too. I also just bought a canopy from someone across the country a short while ago that was probably my most frustrating experience yet! Click here to see.

Don't ask, TELL this person that they need to ship the gear directly to Kruse (A highly qualified and well known rigger) and you will send him the money only after it is inspected and ok'd. This is a perfectly normal and widely accepted way of buying gear from someone.

This person is already making this transaction harder than it needs to be. Waiting for the cypres maintenance, ok. Trying to figure out what gear he is actually selling you and him disappearing just tells you that he is not very bright or considerate. Getting the reserve repacked was a waste of time and money (Which he will probably try to charge you for) because Kruse is going to take it right back out to inspect it and it will get repacked again. Pointless extra handling of your reserve.

You said "Normally I wouldn’t distrust an online transaction like this" Why? The way he is acting, you have every right to be skeptical!

Don't make the mistake I did. DO NOT send $ before having the gear looked over. (I had already sent $500 before finding out the canopy had a hole in it and was missing the slinks…an extra $75 for me!!) If he refuses to work with you this way then tell him to forget it. There will always be more gear for sale!

Good Luck!

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!

With all the crap you've already put up with, you must really want this gear. Like the others said though, if he won't ship it to your rigger for inspection before you have to pay, then pass on the deal and look for different gear.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I would be quite skeptical of this situation. For what it's worth, I recieved an e-mail from a gentleman in Germany, who purchased a complete rig through a well-known internet auction. He was asking if I might help locate a 'seller' who he believed lived in my State. The buyer, went ahead and sent the seller $3,000.00 U.S. After the buyer notified the seller by e-mail that the 'check was in the mail', suddenly... no more responses... no rig! I think, the suggestions by Riggerrob and others on this thread are good and if it were me, I'd use a 'third party'. If, the seller doesn't agree... keep looking. There's probably a better deal out there anyhow.

Chuck

I would not send a single penny before seeing the gear. That sets off alarm bells.

Ask your DZO to act as an escrow.

Tell the seller to ship the gear to your DZO for inspection. Have him discuss with your DZO that he'll be holding the DZO responsible for payment or return of the gear.

Then have your DZO inspect the gear, and if its good have your DZO mail the dude the check.

I've bought and sold gear over the internet using this technique. It works well, and having the DZO involves elevates the trust level.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Walk away from this "deal". The seller is not for real.:(
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Yeah, as everyone else said, walk away from this. The guy is already being a dick, and if there are any problems with the rig, odds are he won't try to work with you at all. There's other, honest people out there who will sell you a good rig at a fair price. It might not be a "bargain", but most "bargains" have other problems that aren't immediately noticed.

I was looking for a used rig for a few weeks, and ended up finding someone selling one a few hours from my house.

To show the difference in attitude, she was
1) willing to meet me half way to let me see the rig (so I wouldn't have to drive the three miles myself)
2) offered to not cash the check for a few days so I could get the rig checked out and/or jump it before I decided to buy it.

She never lied or tried to change anything either. Granted, I didn't get a phenomenal price, but I paid what it was worth, and had the piece of mind knowing that if it wasn't all that it was made out to be, so would definitely take it back. (She even called me the day after I bought it to see if I liked it or not.)

Step away from this offer, and keep looking, especially for those close to you, since you can physically go and look at the rig, and you know exactly where they live.
This ad space for sale.

I am looking to buy a rig from classifieds too. I am thinking to use escrow.com services.

Five steps process:
1. Buyer and Seller Agree to Terms
Both parties agree to terms of the transaction, which includes a description of the merchandise, sale price, number of days for the Buyer's inspection, and any shipping information.

2. Buyer Pays Escrow.com
The Buyer submits a payment, selecting check, money order, wire transfer, or credit card online. Escrow.com verifies the payment. Processing time varies by payment method.

3. Seller Ships Merchandise
Upon payment verification, the Seller is authorized to ship merchandise and submit tracking information. Escrow.com verifies that the Buyer receives the shipment.

4. Buyer Accepts the Merchandise
The Buyer has a set number of days for an inspection and the option to accept or reject the merchandise.

5. Escrow.com Pays the Seller
Escrow.com pays the Seller by check or wire transfer. The transaction is complete.

The seller agreed to ship the gear out to my DZ for a final checkout. I am to send his money when the gear checks out. :D

Im looking forward to getting this gear, its my first and Im looking forward to getting those jump #'s up. NO MORE RENTING!!!! WOHOOOOO

Thanks all for the advice.