Shredex

Hello!

Hello! My name is Josh and I am a 21 year old aspiring AFF student from Central Florida.
My ultimate goal is to become a Wingsuit pilot.

Over the past several months I have been doing some research, trying to figure out how I can make a dream of mine a reality. I'm still very confused about a ton of things, but I think the start is AFF school. And I've found it's also an extremly expensive sport as well. ($5K for just a main chute! :O )
I don't come from a wealthy family, nor am I wealthy myself. So this journey is going to be a long and difficult one. (The classified section on this site is a life...well, pocket saver for me! If the right sizes ever pop up...)
All and all, you just can't put a price on happiness, or your life :)

I'm glad to be here! and hopefully I can learn a little from this place!

5'9" and 130lb

As an added bonus! I'd like to tell the story of my interest in this extreme sport. (Warning! Wall of text! Please skip if lazy!) :)

I was one of those kids jumping off there roof with a Walmart bag parachute. (FYI, Wal-Mart bags don't make good parachutes) lol...
Now, something I remember seeing as a child was a movie where I saw these guys jump off a building in what I called "Squirrel Suits".
The thought that immediately popped into my head was that these suits were used to slow your decention to earth enough so you could land without a parachute! Much better idea then my Walmart bags!
Seeing that I was no good with a sewing machine, I just put bags on different parts of my body (4 total). Results were the same. I pretty much threw the idea away and tossed it into the dumpster part of my brain for failed ideas.

Lets move on.
Back in the year 2006, at the age of 15, I was a Freshmen at J.W. Mitchell High School. It was about this time that I discovered I could do something. That something...was everything.
It was during this time that I had experienced my first lucid dream (A dream in which you become aware you are dreaming and can use it to your advantage ;p)
The first lucid dream I had ended abruptly just after realizing I was dreaming.
The second dream, however, was where it began... As soon as I realized I was dreaming, I instantly leaped into the air and started flying around! The experience was splendid! (until I crashed into the ground and woke up!)
Ever since that dream, all I ever do when becoming "aware" is fly. The flying in the dream is kind of...awkward, I should add. If you are a PC gamer, I can tell you that the flying I experience is a lot like NO clipping in a video game. That's the only way I can describe it.
With this introduction to a dream, along with being a long time Dragonball Z fan, I became very interested with flying. However, it wasn't until a few months ago that I found out this dream is reality.

I was lurking Facebook and came across a video a friend of mine posted titled "Jeb Coriliss 'Grinding the Crack'". Being bored and all, I clicked and watched the video.
Here it was... The squirrel suit... one man... living the "impossible.
Excitement flowed into my body as if I had just won the lottery. I stayed up for another 5 hours that night looking up hundreds of wingsuit videos. The good. The bad. And the really bad.

Bunch of researching later, and here I am now. (Thanks Google!)

Welcome, i too am looking to get into the wing suits~ they also run $1,500 or so...

But try looking for a used rig... Its easier to pack and a lot cheaper!

www.chutingstar.com is a great place to find new and used gear. I would recommend trying to find something that fits you there. Also talk to a local rigger. He will know a good deal that will be also safe and save you a few bucks.
Cheers

Jon W

:ph34r:
Nice choice! Unbelievably knowledgeable staff. Great instruction and a nice friendly atmosphere! You're in good hands!

There's not one instructor that I wouldn't suggest you work with. All are great!

Sell everything you own and invest in Skydiving, you'll thank me later!