bentonjoe

Is 50 yrs old too old?

Got my A-license via the AFF route last year at age 55. What I experienced seemed not at all different from what other new students (here at DZ.com and at the dropzone I train at) related in accounts of their training. Generally same set of emotions, fears, and mental and physical hurdles, etc. IMO, this sport is a tad bit physical, but mostly mental. If you have normal range of motion of your limbs, reasonable coordination, and even just near average strength, you have the physical attributes to do it.

I'm not sure what "fair shape" means regarding your legs, but in any event, learning (among many other things) to be the best damn PLF'er at the drop zone is not a bad idea if you want to maximize the odds that they remain as good as they are.

If I were you I would go to a wind tunnel and and spend some time and money. You'll quickly find out if you have the needed physical attributes for sky diving and learn a ton.
I have about 30 minutes in the tunnel and planning to do another 30 minutes before I start my AFF soon. BTW I'm 53 years old.
Good Luck

I started a little over 4 years ago at the age of 57. I'm almost to 1000 jump now, (only 18 to go). I'f you're in reasonable shape, you should be good to go. You might find you don't learn quite as quickly as you did when you were younger. But it's such an amazing adventure, who cares if it takes you a bit longer. Have fun! B|B|B|

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Phew! I thought I was pushing it too. 48 and starting AFF this Friday. It took me over 3 years to make up my mind after 3 tandems. I think because we're wiser and not as impulsive, we tend to make better decisions and take calculated risks.

I think the 60 way by the SOS mob yesterday answers the OP's question pretty comprehensively....

Yes, but if you start at 50, you will have to work very hard to get the skills needed for a 60 way by the time you are eligible for SOS.

Maybe by JOS eligibility.

:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yes, but if you start at 50, you will have to work very hard to get the skills needed for a 60 way by the time you are eligible for SOS.

Unless they have mad skillz.:)
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unless they have mad skillz.

Hey...us oldies have more mad skillz than Mad Jack McMad,
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....