bentonjoe

Is 50 yrs old too old?

I am new, but still in pretty good shape for my age. I want to get started working towards an A license. what are the opinions out there regarding age? I am starting with static line jumps for the first 3, or 4 jumps.
other than that...my legs are in fair shape. i have a good attention to detail, and i am an eager learner.
Thoughts?

Well, you're going to have to wait a few years to join SOS, but you're already eligible for POPS.
Lots of folks started when they were "no longer young." There's quite a few that have kept going no matter when they started. As long as you are in reasonably good shape, reasonably flexible, and don't have any health issues that would present problems, then go for it.

You are probably a lot less impulsive and a lot more willing to listen than some of the "young'uns." That can be a real positive.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Back in 1994 I trained 20 WW2 veterans. All former paras, SAS or 101st Airborne. They were easy to train.

The youngest was 74, the oldest 81. None had done a jump for 50 years, for many, the Normandy or Market Garden jump was the last that they did.

Not a problem, apart from one who was a bit senile, I put him out on a tandem.

I found out later that several of them lied on their medical declarations. Lying old buggers.....but nothing less than I'd expect from such a mob....none of them wanted to miss out in front of their mates.

Some of them did several jumps that day.

Go for it.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Hey Joe!!
'Where ya' goin' with that gun in yo' hand!!!!???!! 'From an old Hendrix tune.... 50 to old?? :D:D:D:D:D:Dgo to www.airtrash.com and check out the "Old Farts" Get togethers and sign up for the up comming!! Hell! there are jumpers who havn't jumped in over 10 years, my ex is one, and who most of em' are way over 50 and are gettin' back into it and now they came up with this if ya' havn't jumped in over 10 yrs and start back yp ya' get your "ZOMBIE Number!!!" Also note Pat Morehead, old fart and current skydiver did 80 JUMPS ON HIS 80TH b'dAY!! No you are not too old!!

SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Our club, NSPC in Oz, has a member that just turned 78 last Sunday. He started 6 years ago and now has over 1200 jumps. flat fly, wingsuit, base jumps. no keeping the old bugger down. he even still packs his new ZP faster than most of the rest of us. Only thing we can't get him to do right is track in a straight line.

I started last year not long after I turned 54. I have done 7 AFF and 7 static line jumps to date.

I can't hold a deep arch but I am working on that. So, I am not easily stable.

I have really enjoyed the static line jumps. One reason is I tend to put less performance pressure on myself with those type jumps.

Stretch that back for the arch. Start now.

Dan
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Too old? I'm a 56 year old women. I started my training last May and got my A license in July. There are lots of skydivers over 50, 60, whatever. Once you start getting to the DZs you'll see what I mean. And most of them are really encouraging and helpful. Have fun!